INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: more on unexpected tag changes  (Read 867 times)

giusb

• I might be a porcupine.
more on unexpected tag changes
« on: March 09, 2004, 09:57:17 am »

Hello,

sorry to bother you all again. I posted a worried message on March 1st, and I was kind of expecting to receive some sort of acknowledgment (even a quick one) about the issue raised, as most posted messages seem to do. I apologize in advance if I am missing something about the rules and phylosophy of a forum such as this.

The reason why I am writing again is that as a programmer and an advanced user in general, I am quite concerned about the episode I described previously. I know for a fact that MJ did perform an unrequested batch change of the artist's tag of all my mp3 files while they were being acquired into the library.

Alas, I also know that this behavior is probably going to be extremely difficult to reproduce, especially in light of the weird coincidence that I pointed out previously, i.e, that the particular artist's tag that was used as a replacement for my entire collection of mp3 files happens to be one that I had been typing in manually in a different program (namely, iTunes) that was running in the background at the time of the import process. I cannot imagine the relationship between the these facts. Maybe that string was in the system's clipboard, I am not sure.

In any event, it did happen, and there is no way I could have inadvertently done it myself. I thought about the possibility that iTunes was in fact the responsible app, but I ruled it out for a variety of reasons, including that the range of 'last-modified' time stamps associated with the files exactly match the time that MJ took to Import the library.

After testing a few, MJ is definitely my favorite media player, and I am seriously considering buying it, as well as and recommending it to friends and colleagues. In this respect, it would be great to hear back from you guys, and to know if an explanation is available, or otherwise that the description of the event has been passed along to development.

Cheers,
Giuseppe Bertini

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re:more on unexpected tag changes
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2004, 10:09:55 am »

Here's your old thread:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=19622;start=msg136130#msg136130

When you post, please find the old thread and use "reply" to add to it instead of starting a new thread.

Please copy your System Info from MJ help and post it here.

MJ doesn't change tags on import.  There are some options on whether to keep the tags in synch with the library database.  There are also two differnet ID3 standards for tags.  You may have empty tags in one or the other.
Pages: [1]   Go Up