INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How Do I Delete Unwanted Genre?  (Read 1926 times)

DocLotus

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Retired and; Loving It!!!
How Do I Delete Unwanted Genre?
« on: April 19, 2004, 03:49:30 pm »

I accidently entered a long time ago a mispelling for a Genre & now I can't get ride of it.

It is not showing up on any of my ripped music, just in the Genre under Tag Info.

Is there a location where the Generes are stored so I can edit it ?
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
Re:How Do I Delete Unwanted Genre?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2004, 04:39:59 pm »

Doc,

Are you positive on the "It is not showing up on any of my ripped music"? For instance, I had both rock and Rock as genre's...went through and changed all instances of rock to Rock and the rock genre disappeared.

10-27

DocLotus

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2004, 04:46:39 pm »

Yes, I just did that but the old unwanted genre is still there.

I went through the whole list of my music files.  The unwanted genre is not on any of them but it still shows up under Tag Info/Genre.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

pipsqueak

• "Actually, it's elementary, my dear Dawson!"
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2004, 07:36:52 pm »

doc

like xen i had the same problem which went away once i got rid of every last mention of it. try checking any mis categorized video or image files. otherwise do a search for the offending genre.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2004, 07:57:13 pm »

Select all media, and make sure Genre is in one of the view panes, highlight the offending genre in that pane, and anything that has that Genre will show up down below, highlight everything that shows, update teh Genre, & it will dissappear.
pretend this is something funny

DocLotus

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2004, 08:15:51 pm »

Thanks... That worked ;D

Richard Berg

• Junior Woodchuck
  • .sigs are lame
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2004, 05:03:10 am »

You don't even need to highlight.  Just type in the upper pane.  (I love the sensibility of these features... :D)

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2004, 11:13:33 am »

Thanks... That worked ;D

You're welcome.

I was so happy when i discovered that 'feature', as I was also tired of the various iterations of Genre's and Artists too for that matter.

Glad it worked for you.
pretend this is something funny

DocLotus

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2004, 11:19:39 am »

Yes; I'm finding a LOT of relatively new features that I did not know about before.

Seems that MC 10 is becoming pretty Slick ;D

paulr

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2004, 02:29:56 pm »

I just tried Justin's method and I still show "Rock" and "rock" in genre drop downs.

When I selected All Media and put the Genre field into a view pane, "rock" doesn't show up at all (apparently because I don't have it assigned to anything, but it is still in my Genre drop down...

DocLotus

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2004, 04:55:20 pm »

Hi  Paulr;

I had exactly the same problem with New Age & New age.

I had brought up the new age folder & thought that I had found all of the New age & changed them to New Age, but the problem was still there just like your are experiencing..

I then brought up ALL files & sorted them & found many New age still there.  I changed them all to New Age & the problem was resolved.

paulr

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2004, 05:04:06 pm »

Well, this is bizarre.

I did exactly what you said.  I even tried a Quick Search with a rule for "rock", but to my suprise, "rock" isn't listed.  I went through every song in my library and there are no songs with the "rock" genre.

The only place I can even see "rock" is in the drop down list.  It's not a big issue, it's just strange.  I don't know how it could be listed in the drop down, but nowhere else (I am assuming they use the same Genre table in the database).

DocLotus

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2004, 09:21:37 pm »

Just a wild guess but there may be a few "standard" genres in the list such as Pop, Rock, Classical, etc.  They may have been there all along even before we added any songs.

I recall that Siren player was like that, it would give you a few starter genres to get you started then you could add your own.

I think what I am saying is that "Rock" may be one of the default genres.

Maybe Matt or one of the JRiver gang will be so kind to clarify that as I am only guessing at this point.

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2004, 09:34:28 pm »

The standard (and hard coded) genre's are based on the defaults spec'd by ID3.***

Further info here...

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=19936

10-27

***well, maybe...ID3v1's have hard coded genre's based on a byte value indexed to a list, v2's do not. MC's base genre list may be based on v1. I have no idea how MC handles cases where you specify a custom genre and then tell it to write v1 tags only.
Pages: [1]   Go Up