INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another tricky smartlist puzzle  (Read 1625 times)

jleerigby

Another tricky smartlist puzzle
« on: March 14, 2004, 06:48:09 am »

I just created a new field called 'Album Year'.  It's going to take me a long time to fill it in for all my albums but I could get a quick win on a lot of them if I create a view scheme or smartlist that will do this:

- List all tracks where every track on the album shares the same value for Date (Year).

E.g. If every track on the album 'Aaliyah - I care for you' has a date of 2001 then list all the tracks, otehrwise list none of the tracks.

I don't think this is possible but I know there are some smart people out there so I thought I'd ask.

lee269

• Citizen of the Universe
  • sleep eat sleep eat sleep eat
Re:Another tricky smartlist puzzle
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2004, 10:24:52 am »

Interesting Sunday afternoon exercise. I cant provide a pure smartlist solution, but this might help in some way, at least to categorise your albums before manual tagging. This is what I did:

1. View all your audio library and copy the album statistics (album - no of files) from the action window into a spreadsheet (or similar).

2. modify the view with duplicates:[date (year)],[album]. Then copy the same statistics into your spreadsheet.

3. In your spreadsheet compare the number of files per album from step 1 with step 2. Where there is a difference it means that this album doesnt have consistent dates for all its tracks.

I suspect you are right about this being impossible with a smartlist. Dunno if the above helps you much, but it was fun working it out.

jleerigby

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2004, 11:44:12 am »

Thanks Lee.  I consider myself to be a bit of a whiz with excel myself and did think of that.  Trouble is that it will only show me which albums are candidates for a quick tag but will give me no easy way to get them into mc in one big list so I can tag them.

[Jlee thinking a  bit more]  Well I suppose if I paste them into excel with the filename I could always write a macro that will chuck the file names in a .bat file with an mjextman command to add them to playing now or something like that.  It just seems like too much bother.[/Jlee thinking a  bit more]

It's surprising what you can do with a few beers on a Sunday afternoon.  I already got up to 'L' with the single artist albums.  With 1500 albums that's not bad.  A few more beers and I might just have to call it a day at 'M'.  Still, when it's done it will be worthwhile.

buffaloquinn

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2004, 10:02:48 pm »

Maybe I don't understand the problem.
Media Center Already has a Tag column Date [year]. If you create a view scheme with Date [year] as the first column and the second column as Album, wouldn't that do most of the work for you?
I did it on my relatively small collection and it gave me a list sorted by year first, then albums within that year. Is there more you need?

jleerigby

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2004, 01:15:12 am »

Maybe I don't understand the problem.
Media Center Already has a Tag column Date [year]. If you create a view scheme with Date [year] as the first column and the second column as Album, wouldn't that do most of the work for you?
I did it on my relatively small collection and it gave me a list sorted by year first, then albums within that year. Is there more you need?

- List all tracks where every track on the album shares the same value for Date (Year).

E.g. If every track on the album 'Aaliyah - I care for you' has a date of 2001 then list all the tracks, otehrwise list none of the tracks.

I know how to tag but I'm trying to find all the albums where the year is the same on every track on the album.

Marty3d

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2004, 02:23:26 am »

Hi!

I have a smartlist that lists album that's not fully rated (ie. one track is not rated while the rest is). Maybe you could go from there?

[Media Type]=[Audio] -[Album]=[] ~a [Rating]==0

Good luck!

jleerigby

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2004, 04:19:21 pm »

Ok so I'm congratulating myself on finishing the job manually.  Only trouble is I've done way too many cans of beer, have given myself Repetetive Strain Injury and haven't seen my wife in 2 full days.  

Apart from the RSI it was definately worth the effort!  :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up