INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: O.T. web site questions  (Read 1880 times)

bebop

• Citizen of the Universe
O.T. web site questions
« on: March 10, 2004, 05:03:23 pm »

So, going to make a web site...got the domain name ( was using Shaw webspace and just throwing up a few pics using Jascc Paint Shop, but they only give you 10 KB! and no way to put the stuff in separate folders ) and now have a few questions...

1.  Can one put slide shows on their site?

2. which program is the easiest and the best for a real newbie?  Dreamweaver looks a little daunting.

3.  Can one put music on their site, do i need some sort of permission?

This site will be for photo sharing - mainly for family members and friends as we are spread out  in this country and the US, and love sharing our photo's and e-mail just doesn't cut it!  Will take  all and  any advise   - just keep it simple  - my tech skills have gone downhill  ;D  

Quisp

• Galactic Citizen
  • Dol Sot Bi Bim Bap
Re:O.T. web site questions
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2004, 07:24:21 pm »

go to shutterfly www.shutterfly.com. You can share photos, make slideshows, and if you like them, you can get prints made. Uploading is easy, no software needed, all the disk space you want, etc....

bebop

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2004, 01:12:57 pm »

Thanks for the suggestion, Quisp, but I really, really want to do this from scratch...so what programs are recommended?  dreamweaver?  Frontpage? Gallery???

crowfan

• Galactic Citizen
  • For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you.
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2004, 01:56:48 pm »

bebop,

I use FrontPage for my band's website, Storm Online. I have no programming skill at all (took only 2 courses in college), and I find it very easy to use. The only real challenge is you have to find a provider that supports FrontPage extensions (not all do). I use Hostica -- they support FrontPage extensions and are very reasonable.

As for storing music, I don't really know what the legally correct answer is. As you can see on my site, we do host a couple of songs. They are cover songs, so I wasn't sure about the legality of it all (they aren't the original versions, but then again, they aren't our songs either). I asked the provider before posting them, and they told me that as long as nobody complains, I could post them. I've had them up there for about 2 years and I haven't had any problems.  But they are not the original versions, i.e., tracks ripped off of commercial CDs. They're really just there so that we can hand out business cards with the web address to bar owners and they can download the tracks at home to listen to our demo. It saves the cost and time of burning CDs. :)

You could improvise on the slideshow by creating "Back" and "Next" links below your pictures to give that slide-show feel, but I'm not sure if there's any other (better) way to do it.

Hope this helps, :)

crow
"It's going to be a trilogy."   Robert Jordan, circa 1989

bebop

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2004, 09:40:14 pm »

Thanks...am trying Dreamweaver...and if I get through all those brackets, I just might manage to get this done!
Found a program that will let me post photo's, have a members only portion.. and does slide shows!!!  It's called "Gallery" and now if I can figure out what  a permission knock down is, I'll have this licked with only a minor headache!  Thanks again for the info.  I'll check with them re" music stuff.   ;D

bebop

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2004, 11:34:19 pm »

Well...here it is, my first web site...sort of, might be a bit buggy , but am still working on it.

bebop-girl.com

Galley

• Galactic Citizen
  • Insert witty text here
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2004, 07:01:15 am »

Well...here it is, my first web site...sort of, might be a bit buggy , but am still working on it.

bebop-girl.com

Aaaw, look at the kitties!  ;D

bebop

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2004, 11:44:50 am »

Yup, cats, woodworking projects and holiday stuff....as my first effort, it's ok.  Actually, I was amazed that it even worked!!!  I must admit that I cheated a bit, by using  some freeware called "Gallery" to construct the photo page layouts..., and it's a bit "girlie" according to my son...but hey...I am of the female persuasion, and it's my site. ;D

I am learning to use Dreamweaver with the H.O.T. disc, and I'm sure  the kids will be testing me!  Thanks again for all the help and suggestions.   B

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2004, 12:09:58 pm »

Bebop;

Wonderful idea you have of putting up a site for friends & relatives.

This is a good use of the web for the whole family to stay connected;D
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

LonWar

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2004, 12:13:26 pm »

Also MSN groups is a great resource.

I have tons of pictures of my Little girl that I put on there so my family can see them.

Works, great...
-

bebop

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2004, 08:43:44 pm »

Thanks for the input.. :).I really like being able to make some folders private, and "gallery" has that feature.  I just made a folder with permissions set such that you have to login, then gave all my family login names and passwords...now they can decide if they want to put stuff in the private file or the public one.  Who knew this would be so easy??!!  Having been around in the DOS ages, I thought it might be a lot more complicated. However, having a rough knowledge of DOS also helped me to understand the HTML stuff . :)  Also didn't hurt to have the Gallery people get those pages together into an easy to use interface. ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up