INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My first time burning a CD....  (Read 1042 times)

scott_r

• Galactic Citizen
My first time burning a CD....
« on: March 18, 2004, 03:52:07 am »

....burning a CD in Media Center (10.0.90).

I must say I was really impressed. I don't burn CD's much, and when I do I usually use Nero, but I decided to use MC this time, because all I needed to do was burn an album to audio cd.
There were just a couple of things that bugged me during the process.
The Action Window interface made it nice and simple, just about wizard-like, but it was also easy to find advanced "options". Thumbs up for a nice clean burning interface.
The only thing was that when the burning started, MC had to convert the APE's to wave, I presume. However, this process did not show up on the progress meter, which I would have thought was important. Also, when the burn was writing the lead-out, the caption said "Writing lead-out and closing s..." because I have my tree pane width set to the smallest size. I think you should make all the captions fit to the smallest width of the window.
Apart from these very small annoyances, the whole process was very simple and clean. Good job, from a "first-time-user" perspective :)

However, I just noticed that when I go Action Window->File Properties->Tag Info, I can no longer hit the "back" button on my mouse to get back to the File Properties window. I usually use the AW to switch between the Tag Info and File Type Info windows. Why was this functionality dropped?

All in all though, a very nice and easy experience. Even my girlfriend could have done it (although she still double clicks "Media Library" every time she wants to expand the tree :) )

Cheers,

Scott.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re:My first time....
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2004, 08:49:37 am »

Thanks Scott.

Just wanted to note that your APEs will be decoded on the fly unless you enable the remove silence between tracks option.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

scott_r

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2004, 02:45:26 pm »

Just wanted to note that your APEs will be decoded on the fly unless you enable the remove silence between tracks option.

I assume by this you mean the option called "Omit silent sections" under the "Audio CD Effects for Burning" window?
I had the Apply DSP and Cross-fade to CD option unchecked, so the removal of silence should also have been disabled, however, before actually burning anything to the CD, MC would spend about half a minute "Preparing..." each track. I thought that it must be decoding them, but if it's not decoding them, what is it doing? Moving them to a temp location?

Scott

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2004, 09:47:44 pm »

I assume by this you mean the option called "Omit silent sections" under the "Audio CD Effects for Burning" window?
I had the Apply DSP and Cross-fade to CD option unchecked, so the removal of silence should also have been disabled, however, before actually burning anything to the CD, MC would spend about half a minute "Preparing..." each track. I thought that it must be decoding them, but if it's not decoding them, what is it doing? Moving them to a temp location?

Scott

With older, non-burn proof drives we decode to WAV first to prevent burning coasters.  Could that be it?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

scott_r

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2004, 11:02:37 pm »

*hangs head in shame*

Yes, I admit, I have an "older, non burn-proof drive".

*sob*

Thanks for the clarification.

Scott.
Pages: [1]   Go Up