INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to store Playlists for Mixes  (Read 1316 times)

mkutsen

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
How to store Playlists for Mixes
« on: March 16, 2004, 07:53:23 am »

What's the best way to store playlists for mixes?

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Getting older every day
Re:How to store Playlists for Mixes
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2004, 09:44:44 am »

I'm not sure what you mean by mixes, but I'm guessing you mean a specifically selected list of files you want to hear in that specific order.  If that's the case...

Create a new playlist (right-click on 'playlist' in the tree, and select 'add playlist' (F8), then name it whatever you want.  Now, either you can just right-click on a song and navigate send to...playlist...(your new playlist).  Do this for every song you want in your playlist.  You can either add them in order, or just add them, then view the playlist and drag/drop them to put them in the order you want (then right-click in the playlist and select 'update order'.)

Or you can create a smart list to find the songs for you.  Once you have the smartlist doing the right thing (takes a bit of tweaking usually), you can right-click on the smartlist and navigate the same way (send to, playlist, yours).

Finally, there are many preset playlists that come with MC, which you can use also.

Hope this helps.
pretend this is something funny

mkutsen

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2004, 11:21:10 am »

Thanks, but what I meant is that I have several DJ Mixes; each is recorded as a one continuous large mp3 file, and I was wandering what would be the best way to store the list of songs included in the mix using mp3 tags.

cascius

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2004, 12:41:31 pm »

Well, you could store that list in the "note" tag for example.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2004, 03:50:03 pm »

You could use CUE files.

you would need to create them yourself and guesstimate when tracks began etc. This would give tracks that could be tagged like other tracks etc. you coul d make playlists etc and hopefully be able to pick n mix.

MC10.0 does not support CUE files yet but am hoping 10.1 will  ( pls JRiver )

Nolonemo

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm still a malla!
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2004, 12:17:07 pm »

Since a CUE file is AFAIK just a text file with the information in a specific format, you should be able to store the CUE file in a tag if you want.  That would let you have the playlist in the mix stored with the music file, but you could extract it to directly play individual tracks if MC ever does support them (or you could use the CUE file to split the mix into separate tracks assuming your timing info was accurate).

pipsqueak

• "Actually, it's elementary, my dear Dawson!"
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2004, 12:52:32 pm »

mkutsen

reading about cue files confused me, but an easy way to get the trach info (name and artist etc, but not timing) would be to use the tagging function (f4 when you've highlighted the file). then you could just add each track and artist and ensure the box is checked.

mkutsen

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2004, 02:00:10 pm »

Thanks for all the suggestions!  I'll play with it this weekend.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2004, 01:25:03 am »

Since a CUE file is AFAIK just a text file with the information in a specific format, you should be able to store the CUE file in a tag if you want.  That would let you have the playlist in the mix stored with the music file, but you could extract it to directly play individual tracks if MC ever does support them

The idea is to store the track titles in a cue. Once MC can understand CUE files. The tracks would appear as they do for any album currently except they would be associated with the mix as defined in the CUE.

(or you could use the CUE file to split the mix into separate tracks assuming your timing info was accurate).

Hopefully not reqd once MC supports CUE files.

The idea is once CUE support is there, you should be able to pick any tracks from the cue and have it in any playlist as if it was a separate track. Even though its actually a certain part of the mix. Like you have with APL files and APE.
Pages: [1]   Go Up