INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: cd drive settings  (Read 2285 times)

ginty32

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I guess after 8 years I could type something.
cd drive settings
« on: March 01, 2004, 11:56:40 pm »

I'm trying to bypass my normal D: drive for ripping.  I've had problems with it.  I have an external CD-RW (USB).  I've gone to "advanced CD ripping settings" where I can choose F: drive in the drop down menu, but when I go back it has defaulted to the D: drive.  Can I use my external CD-RW to rip cds?  I can play cds from it and I see the tag info but only when I select F: from the My Computer tree, but not under the CD, DVD, & Handhelds tree (I hope that makes sense).  

I connect the CD-RW to my computer via a pc card for a USB II connection.  Also I'm using 9.1.316  Thanks

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:cd drive settings
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2004, 01:31:00 pm »

There's no "default" ripping drive in MC, the dropdown box is just used to select the drive that you want to change settings for. It's a little confusing and has been changed to tabs in the latest versions of MC 10.
I'm not sure why you can see the drive in the options menu and not in the tree. What happens if you put an audio CD in the F: drive and then choose "Rip CD" from the Tools menu (or toolbar)?
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

modelmaker

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2004, 02:06:15 pm »

I had a similar problem at one time, I disabled the drive I didn't want to use in My Computer>Device Manager, rebooted the computer, afterwhich MC found the USB drive and everything worked.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

ginty32

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2004, 01:25:35 pm »

when I try to select rip cd from the F drive it say no files selected.  I moved my external cd-rw from a usb 2 w/ pc card to my normal usb 1 and can now rip with my cd-rw (of course its painfully slow now).

Also I've tried to remove my d drive through device manager, but every time I re-boot it's back.  I've gone through the windows help section and I can't find a step that they say to do.  It's probablly a call to their support center.

Thanks to both of your help

ama_mmmc

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2004, 08:52:34 pm »

I am not also not able to use my drive E to rip cd's, as every time I try to change that to be the drive of choice, it reverts by to my d drive as well.  I have a cd rom as D, and a CD Burner as E:.

Sorry  no specs, as it is on a computer I am not near at the moment.
Version is latest 9.1x

ginty32

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2004, 08:25:11 pm »

I just upgraded to 10 and now I have the same problem (see first note) only now it's on all my usb ports.  I've gone under option: Advanced ripping settings to change drive to F:, but when I go back in it has switched back to D.

My D drive is useless.  I'm trying to use my external cd-r drive to rip my cds.  

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2004, 09:37:30 pm »

You probably dislike those "check your setup" answers but...

Using 10.0.95 on W2k SP4 and (2) USB2 ext drives (Yamaha F1 & Sony DRU500), I have no probs ripping with either. You only have one hard drive partition (c:)?

Here's my sys info (may help)...

Media Center Registered 10.0.95 -- d:\MediaCenter\

Microsoft Windows 2000  Workstation 5.0 Service Pack 4 (Build 2195)
Intel Pentium III 698 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 392 MB, Free - 172 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.81 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1400 / Shell32.dll: 5.00.3700.6705 / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive X:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive Y: YAMAHA  CRW-F1E           Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive Z:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: Yes  Soundfile:   S:\mp3\RaceRun.wav

Burning /  Drive Y: YAMAHA   CRW-F1E            Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:4  MaxSpeed:44  BurnProof:Yes
  Drive Z: SONY     DVD RW DRU-500A    Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:24  MaxSpeed:24  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

Rx

jleerigby

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2004, 01:10:57 am »

If you are using XP or W2K you could try changing the drive letter of your CD drives in Computer Management. E.g change the D drive to G, then windows will keep it like that so it should not be first in the drop down.

JohnT

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2004, 09:13:11 am »

I just upgraded to 10 and now I have the same problem (see first note) only now it's on all my usb ports.  I've gone under option: Advanced ripping settings to change drive to F:, but when I go back in it has switched back to D.

Can you clarify what you mean by "when I go back in it has switched back to D"?
On the advanced options page, it will always show the first alphabetical drive. That doesn't mean you can't use the other drives for ripping. Just select the drive you want to rip from the tree (under "Drives & Devices"), then click on the "Rip CD" option in the action window.
Now if you don't see your drive listed under "Drives & Devices", there's a deeper problem and I may need to send you a diagnostic tool to pinpoint the problem. Can you rip from this drive using other software?

John T.
JRiver, Inc.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

ama_mmmc

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2004, 09:21:36 am »

John T,
Thanks for that info.  Here I have been a user for somthing like 2.5 years, and I thought that had to be the drive you used.  Makes sense though, just put the cd in, and rip it.  Simple as that.

Drew

ginty32

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2004, 12:52:24 pm »

Can you clarify what you mean by "when I go back in it has switched back to D"?
Now if you don't see your drive listed under "Drives & Devices", there's a deeper problem and I may need to send you a diagnostic tool to pinpoint the problem. Can you rip from this drive using other software?

I finally get that under the Advanced options that the tabs are not meant to select one or the other.   My problem has seem to have fixed itself.  My problem was that when I selected my F: drive the name of the disc would appear, but the track listing would be blank.  So when I tried to rip I would get a message that no files were selected.  Now the tracks do show up and I can rip.  I don't know if there was something I did or didn't do, but hopefully It won't happen again.

Thanks for the help.

ama_mmmc

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2004, 04:33:38 pm »

John T,
Maybe you could take a look at my settings, and then maybe I could get that de-bug program you are talking about.  My drive E does nothing with MC.  For that matter it maybe other programs, as I can not read any cd's on it.  Any ideas would be most helpful.  

Drew

Media Center Registered 9.1.316 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

Microsoft Windows 2000  Workstation 5.0 Service Pack 4 (Build 2195)
Intel Pentium III 928 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 392 MB, Free - 74 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.81 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1400 / Shell32.dll: 5.00.3700.6705 / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive D:   Copy mode:ModeSecure   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeSecure   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive E: LG       CD-RW CED-8120B    Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:12  MaxSpeed:12  BurnProof:No
  Test mode: Yes /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: No
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None
Pages: [1]   Go Up