INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: making lyrics scroll from top to bottom in Viz  (Read 2031 times)

zeltak

• Galactic Citizen
making lyrics scroll from top to bottom in Viz
« on: March 12, 2004, 02:42:07 am »

hi!

i posted a few days ago a post about ways to view lyrics which dont fit in the main window (becasue they are to long). the options i had was using a track info template (that right now isnt too good-you have to manually press a button on screen to scrool down) or a Viz. Jlee made some excellent ones but still the main problem is scrolling the lyrics down in a normal way (its either to fast or too slow depending on a song).  I dont understand much about computer programing but i can see that in Viz studio the text location and speed is determined in this equation
-t=t+.0008;x1=0.03;y1=1-(t%(height+1));x2=x1+1;y2=y1+height+1;

right now it scrolls from bottom to top is there a way to define it so that it will appear on screen as if in non-moving mode and then will slowly scroll up so to reveal the rest of the lyrics ?

thx alot

zeltak  :) ;) :D

jleerigby

Re:making lyrics scroll from top to bottom in Viz
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2004, 07:31:48 am »

All I know is that you can ajust the scrolling speed by altering the bit in your example that shows .0008

e.g.  .00085 is faster and .0007 is slower

tomgrossi

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2004, 11:59:48 am »

What's going on in the formula is it is intentionally defining the text box as bigger than the screen and dependent on a free variable, t, which is being incremented every frame.  This is whay changing the increment speeds up or slows down the scroll.  The "%" operator is a modulus operator which causes the lyrics to wrap when t gets large.  Now, you could make t's incrementation non linear and therefore get it to stay still for t < 1 and then have it start scrolling or something, but I'm not sure that this will accomplish what you want.  I made a vis that I like with a formula like this... the trouble is that t is not reset to 0 with each track advance.  Thus the new formula will work for the first track but not any subsequent tracks.  If you can figure out how to get t=0 on each track advnace please tell me since I'd like to use it in mine, too.  Note: another lower-tech solution to this non-linearity is to put a few returns before the lyrics.  This way there is still a conctant scroll speed but the first line is lower down initially so it doesn't leave the screen before the intro ends.  

jleerigby

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2004, 07:42:05 am »

tomgrossi - thanks for the explanation.  Please can you paste your formula in here.

ralphberner

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2004, 10:30:25 pm »

How is it possible to reset the timer when the next track begins to play? The lyrics start where the lyrics from the previous track has stopped and that is in the somewhere in the window usually.

tomgrossi

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2004, 07:47:27 pm »

I'm not next to my HTPC but I think this will work (if it doesn't please post and I will go check and edit this post).  Here is a general formula for making the text scroll within the bottom half of the screen. You need to have the text justified to the BOTTOM of the window.  

t = t + 0.001/height; x1 = 0; x2 = 1; y1 = 0.5; y2 = (0.6 + height) -  t%1*(height - 0.2)

The point is that t%1 will go from 0 to 1 and then wrap around back to 0, repeatedly.
When t%1 = 0, the bottom of the text box (to which the lyrics are bound) is located at [0.6 + height] (which is usually below the bottom of the screen unless the lyrics are really short).  As t increases toward 1 the bottom will scroll up, until it is at 0.8, at which point the scrolling resets to its original position.    By changing the t increment you can change the scorlling speed.  Note: I have the increment multiplied by [height] so the the scrolling speed is constant in terms of lines per second rather than in % of lyric height per second.

jleerigby

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2004, 12:45:57 pm »

That equation does not scroll for me.

tomgrossi

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2004, 01:56:31 pm »

I updated the original post... I had the name of one variable wrong: it is "height" not "length"... also, to make the scrolling speed independent of lyric height you divide t's incremenation value by height, not multiply.  In any case, any of the fixed numbers in the formula can be changed to alter characteristics like scroll speed, how high up the screen the lyrics can go, how much whitespace there is before the first line of lyrics, and how much whitespace there is after the last line shows before it resets.

zeltak

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2004, 03:12:16 am »

hi guys!

ive tried using the formula on jlee's Viz and i dosent really work for me, i guess im just really bad with technical comp stuff... :P. Jlee can you have the new Viz avilable for download once the are all set up with the new scrolling formula, it would be great to use it if you dont mind

thx alot

Zeltak

jleerigby

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2004, 04:36:34 am »

Just run my Vis and then open Vis Studio and do a save as to start a new vis (preserving my Vis).  

On the new vis just select the bottom text item (the one for lyrics) and then paste tomgrossi's equation over the top of the text location equation.  

Then select a text alignment of left bottom, centre bottom or right bottom.  Then Save.

If this doesn't work for you it won't work for me either.

zeltak

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2004, 02:11:11 pm »

hi jlee and tomgrossi and thx again for all your effort into this.

i did what you said jlee but the lyrics keep appearing only in mid screen and dont really scroll, what am i doing wrong, i took the updated equation that tomgrossi posted  (t = t + 0.001/height; x1 = 0; x2 = 1; y1 = 0.5; y2 = (0.6 + height) -  t%1*(height - 0.2) ) but it dosent seem to work, any ideas?

thx again

Zeltak

jleerigby

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2004, 02:21:44 pm »

It works for me but to be honest it's just a different equation and I find that the result is just the same so I've gone back to my original.  Until MC reset the Vis when a track changes there's nothing you can do.

All we can do is ask for a change when 10.1 development get's underway.  There are other reasons why it's good to reload the vis on track change too (like cover art being updated).  So it's fingers crossed for 10.1.

tomgrossi

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2004, 02:52:12 pm »

Has anyone formally submitted a request for that feature?  How do we do it? I imagine it isn't too tough to program so maybe we'll get it.

jleerigby

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2004, 05:09:35 am »

Has anyone formally submitted a request for that feature?  How do we do it? I imagine it isn't too tough to program so maybe we'll get it.

We just did in this thread.  Next job is a gentle reminder when 10.1 gets underway.
Pages: [1]   Go Up