INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature request -- combining tag fields  (Read 884 times)

park

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I wish I had more to say!
Feature request -- combining tag fields
« on: March 20, 2004, 06:10:46 am »

A bit early for feature requests for the next version perhaps, but I am tagging at the moment and this would be reeeeeaaally useful:

the ability to combine fields. For example: I want to put the artist name into the "Name" (song name) field with a "-" seperating it from (the already entered) name of the song.
That way, with various artist cd's I could change the artist name to the same for each song (good for soundtracks) but still see who sang the song, by looking at the song name, on my ipod while listening to it.

So to summarize: ability to combine fields, with options to dictate the order they will be combined in and which characters should seperate them.

Thanks,

Bri

lee269

• sleep eat sleep eat sleep eat
Re:Feature resquest
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2004, 06:41:59 am »

park:

In MC v10: Tools/Options/Tree & View/Add creates a new library field. The calculated field option allows you to concatenate existing library fields. Is that what you wanted?

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2004, 08:44:48 am »

Not really. I want to be able to update the "name" field specifically, so that I can see the artist and song name in that field when using my ipod.

I want to use one value in the "artist" field to make navigation simpler on the ipod (ie: to make all songs from a various artists album appear in the same place)

Example:
Album name "Lost Highway" (movie soundtrack)
Now: Each artist field is filled with the artist for that song. Each name field is filled with the name of the song. I always navigate on my ipod starting from genre, artist then album. Doing this shows me a a bunch of artists each with only one song and no way to select the album as a whole.

I want: Change the artist field to "Lost Highway" but first I want  MC to automatically merge the actual song artist info into the "name" field followed by a hyphen and then the song name.

At the moment I have to do lots of cutting and pasting to do this and its annoying. An automated way wouldnt be too tough to implement and would be useful in various situations I think. And I want to be able to do it using existing fields and not creating my own. And I want it to be simple to do :)

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2004, 01:17:44 pm »

maybe you can merge the 2 fields into a new custom field, then, once you're satisfied it's correct, just copy/move the new field over the name field, and delete the new field again, viola.
pretend this is something funny
Pages: [1]   Go Up