INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Theories on the Big News...  (Read 1293 times)

bjsolem

• Galactic Citizen
My Theories on the Big News...
« on: March 26, 2004, 10:22:49 pm »

There is obviously some mixed reaction to the Big News of today, here is my take on the situation:

Facts:

1. MC 10 has seen a bunch of minor, and not so minor,  imprortant, bug fixes in a very short time period and is a much more solid and cohesive application as a result.

2. MC rocks as does the J River team!

3. JimH posted pics from an empty office that was *** headquarters.  There is no evidence that he was arrested for tresspassing. ;)

4. MC 10 is still in beta.  Development continues.

My Assumptions:

1. I'm sure it is very hard to write a 3D graphics engine from scratch.  Good job Matt and J River, truly a unique feature of a Media app, with seemingly more potential ahead.

2. I don't think that a Software QA firm would be hired by a customer (as alluded to by JimH) for a pong addition to MC.

3. I don't believe that Champagne would have been poured 6 months ago when they decided to create a Pong game.

4. The Champagne wouldn't be in celebration of a deal that J River closed in order to write a Pong game themselves from scratch ("It's very big," I believe JimH said of the deal).

5. People generally don't go to a music/photo/video app to play games.

In Summary:

I think that some messages have gotten crossed due the 'secret' nature of development by a commercial company.

I believe that the Graphics engine is a significant accomplishment from the developler side of things.  Perhaps mandated by a partner company as part of a different agenda (?).

I believe that there is some other 'Deal' in the works with J River and a large customer.  Possibly involving a somthing like an online music store, though not necessarily a music store.

I think that this development is on a different timeline that J River perhaps has less control over.

I believe that today was a big day for MC and the J River team.  I believe that there are more big days ahead for the MC community.

I also think that I could be completely wrong..... ;D

IlPadrino

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
Re:My Theories on the Big News...
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2004, 01:14:07 am »

I just noticed an interesting icon in the file C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\Data\Default Art\MediaModes.png

I wonder.

scott_r

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2004, 01:38:32 am »

1. I'm sure it is very hard to write a 3D graphics engine from scratch.  Good job Matt and J River, truly a unique feature of a Media app, with seemingly more potential ahead.
Not trying to be negative, but JRiver didn't write a graphics engine from scratch... it uses DirectX. Sure, some work would have gone into it, but it wasn't "from scratch", and therefore does not warrant 1/3 of the development time. Unless there's something else going on...

Scott.

LonWar

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2004, 07:40:08 am »

I just noticed an interesting icon in the file C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\Data\Default Art\MediaModes.png

I wonder.

What's even better, if you look at the Thunderstorm Pic in the Thunderstorm directory.
-

scott_r

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2004, 07:45:50 am »

What's even better, if you look at the Thunderstorm Pic in the Thunderstorm directory.
;D whoops!!  ;D

Looks like the centered menu is back :)

Scott.

iCamp

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2004, 07:47:58 am »

I don't see a Thunderstorm directory in my MC directory.
Pages: [1]   Go Up