INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: iPod Plug-in  (Read 20112 times)

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
iPod Plug-in
« on: November 05, 2002, 10:40:47 am »

The new build includes a modified handling of duplicate files which I think will solve some problems. When duplicates are detected you can choose to either overwrite or skip the files. In either case, the files will end up in the correct playlists so that you don't have to move them separately.

There is also a way to sync files now in version 9. To sync a folder, in the left tree, drag the folder onto the root of the iPod. MJ will check for any files that are acceptable and transfer them.

The iPod plug-in is here:
http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/downloads/plugins.pl?type=8

I hope all works well.

Steve

jgourd

• Galactic Citizen
  • Geurilla Recording At Its Best
Re: iPod Plug-in
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2002, 11:49:11 am »

I have the new plugin. I created two playlists and the overwrite option behaved as predicted.

I have hit a snag that might be very difficult to pinpoint. I listed 576 songs and dragged them onto an empty playlist. Of the 576 songs, only 559 actually got copied onto the iPod.

I tested that the files actually exist by using the Move/Copy option with the list of 576 to create a new folder that should have had all 576. At the end of the copy operation all files were present. I verified every file's tags with Dr. Tag and none were out of whack.

So why did so many fail to make over to the iPod when they are all good files?

SteveG

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2002, 11:58:32 am »

Are all the file types mp3,wav or aiff?

jgourd

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2002, 01:24:35 pm »

No, only 572 files survive the *.mp3 search. There is still a descrepency.

I should put the 576 on a DVD rom and send it to you.  :o

willrmc

• Junior Woodchuck
  • this town is a part of us all...
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2002, 06:22:43 pm »

i also had that problem, i set 2,499 songs to upload and only 2,417 made it on. i know one song didnt upload because it thought it was a dupe. i had the song on a regular album and a live album and it didnt show up on the live album. maybe when it checks for dupes it could check the id3 info to see if it is on the same album.
i also think it would be really useful if when you dragged a playlist from mj it not only put the songs on the ipod but created a playlist on it with the same name. it gets annoying having to recreate 10 playlists each time i want to load them.
besides that though it loaded all the songs very smoothly and worked fine, great job!!
---------

SteveG

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2002, 06:25:16 am »

JGourd and Will,

Thanks for the report. I just posted a new build that should fix the file problem. To check, reupload all your files and unselect the overwrite option. Only the files that didn't make it should transfer.

Will, I am working on the Playlist thing next.

Steve

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2002, 07:32:01 am »

Steve:

I'd really like to get cracking on bug reports but I still can't access my iPod drive using Version 9.  I get crashes every time still.  Any news on when the next release of version 9 will be out?   You said there was going to be a fix for this.

Just wondering,

Thanks,
Adam

SteveG

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2002, 07:35:12 am »

Adam,

Do you have version 9 preview XIV?

udeups

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2002, 08:40:07 am »

I noticed that MJ9 is now listed as Beta in the MJ8 forum. Does that indicate that it's safe to use for the average user who doesn't mind occasional, non-catastrophic bugs? If so, I'd love to start using it and getting more functionality out of the iPod plugin...

thanks,
Paul

SteveG

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2002, 10:46:12 am »

Paul,

Version 9 should be relatively safe to use, but the cautions on backing up any data you don't want to lose should still be taken pretty seriously.

Everyone,

A new build is posted. Features include.... Version 9 features will require the next build of Version 9 which could happen today. If not, as soon as it is ready the Plug-in I have posted will enable these features.

1) Check for maximum allowable size transfers.

2)  v 9 - Playlist drag and drop ( i.e. drop MJ Playlists directly onto the root level of the iPod and the Plug-in will automatically create the playlist for you).

3)  v 9 - Correct File Size and Length display.

4) v 9 - Correct status bar display including toggle for queued files status.

5) v 9 - File transfer from iPod to PC enabled (right click on files)

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2002, 01:58:38 pm »

Yes Steve, that's the version I'm using.  I downloaded and installed the most recent one again last night just to be sure.

Question though: I'm trying this from my iPod that's not "clean".  It's loaded with songs from Ephpod, but I thought that the MJ plugin could handle that OK.

Maybe tonight I'll try restoring my iPod w/the Apple Updater, then try connecting.  I'll report back what happens.

*Edit*
OK, I restored and everything (so far) works fine.  I can access iPod and upload files to it.  Now I'm trying for my full library...we'll see.

I don't see the synch options under the beta that's out today 9.073, I take it that means the updated version didn't make it out today (Wednesday).

Adam

Kurt Young

• Tastes like crab, talks like people.
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2002, 09:23:07 pm »

Using MediaJukebox 9.0.73 and plugin dated November 06, 2002, 2:37:18 PM.

I love the drag-and-drop of playlists.  I love how it makes playlists on the iPod.  Very smooth!  Suggest, if possible, allowing drag-and-drop of playlist groups or even the whole playlists tree, rather than just one-at-a-time.  But that comes later.  As an aside, I'm still very hopeful for something like this.  ;)

I put it to a test.  I made two playlists:  Alpha had 39 songs, Bravo had 23 songs.  One catch:  every song on Bravo was also on Alpha.  This made for 39 unique songs.

Upload time!  The first round went great until the overwrite/don't overwrite prompt came up.  I left both boxes checked (telling it to go ahead and overwrite files) and pressed on.  Bad results, however.  Alpha showed all songs just fine, but there were only two songs on Bravo.  The second time, Bravo only had one song on it.  What's worse, when I ejected the iPod, the about screen showed only 31 songs (?) and there was only one, empty, unnamed playlist.  Doh!

I formatted the iPod and tried again.  This time, when the prompt came up, I unchecked the top box and left the bottom box checked (telling it not to overwrite files).  Success!  Two playlists on the iPod, each reporting every song that it should.

I ejected mine iPod, and the about screen showed 39 songs, as it should.  Both playlists are populated correctly, and when browsing by album, there are no duplicate songs listed in each album.  Sweet, sweet nectar.

My suggestion:  Don't even give an option.  Don't let it overwrite files, dude... bad mojo.  Unchecking that top box makes the whole world seem warmer and more fun, ;D.

Oh yeah, and it still doesn't work with an XPlay-initialized and populated iPod.  :'(  Cheers, folks!
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

jgourd

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2002, 03:47:21 am »

I got the new plugin and now I get all 572 of the files I  wanted in the playlist.

jgourd

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2002, 04:36:07 am »

There is a problem with case sensitivity.

I have an album called "Live In Paris And Toronto". One of the tracks has "And" in all lower case: "and". In MJ, the album all shows up under a single album in the artist/album view.

When this album is transfered to the iPod, it shows up as two albums, one with "And" in the title and the other with "and" in the title.

TimB

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2002, 05:14:36 am »

My suggestion:  Don't even give an option.  Don't let it overwrite files, dude... bad mojo.  Unchecking that top box makes the whole world seem warmer and more fun, ;D.

Last time I posted on duplicate files I succeeded in confusing things.  So this time I'll just say...I LOVE Kurt's idea!!!!!

-=Tim=-
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2002, 08:42:00 am »

Steve:

I restored my iPod using Apple's updater and was finally able to access my 'pod in MJ.  Did some simple tests and was able to upload fine.  I tried uploading my entire library (about 8 gigs) and it worked fine.

Then I went to upload some more songs, connected the iPod, clicked on the iPod letter, MJ crashed.  I can't upload anymore.  I'm assuming that if I tried and restored again I'd be able to access it, but there seems to be a problem with accessing iPods that have a large number of songs on them.  At least in my case.

On transferring, one other note.  It seems that as you're uploading a large number of songs (1700 in my case) as you get to the end the transfer speed really decreases.  It appears this is due to MJ refreshing the Upload list and changing the file status from "Pending Upload" to "Completed" (or whatever the text is).

Suggestion, since you're displaying a progress dialog box, it might not be necessary to update the status on each file.  With large uploads you can't see them all anyway, it's really not much use.

Just a suggestion that might speed up the process.

I'll try again with the next build of version 9.  

Adam

SteveG

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2002, 09:12:26 am »

Adam,

Thanks for the suggestions. If you still have the iTunesDB file that crashed, can you email it to me? (steve @ jriver.com). I will have a new build today with some new features and if you can report back to me on transfer speeds, that would be great.

Thanks,

Steve

SteveG

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2002, 09:28:13 am »

Everyone,

New build just now. Includes...

1) Fixed Kurt's bug regarding overwrite. Chose ( for now) not to remove Overwrite option, but instead
made the default action to NOT overwrite. Now that overwriting works, I figured it is best to leave it as an option.

2) Added Rebuild iTunesDB from iPod option. This will recreate an iTunesDB file from files on iPod.  Currently, it will not preserve Playlist info.

jgourd

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2002, 11:38:19 am »

Paul,

2)  v 9 - Playlist drag and drop ( i.e. drop MJ Playlists directly onto the root level of the iPod and the Plug-in will automatically create the playlist for you).

OK, I installed V9 and the build dated "November 06, 2002, 2:37:18 PM".

The V9 playlist drag and drop doesn't create playlists no matter where in the iPod I drop them.

udeups

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2002, 11:46:13 am »

I was able to make static playlists work just fine. Smartlists did not work, though. Moving a smartlist onto the iPod root copied the songs over but not the playlist...

SteveG

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2002, 01:01:45 pm »

I updated the Plug-in again with a minor change that will remove the "Rebuild iTunesDB" option from version 8. This feature would have caused it to crash so I disabled it. It will work withe version 9.

JGourd and Udeups,

Be sure you have the latest (9.0.74) version of Media Jukebox 9 and the Plug-in that is from around 5:00 today.

Thanks.

willrmc

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2002, 05:08:49 pm »

ok, i finally upgraded to 9.0.74 and tried the plugin. i directly dragged playlists onto the ipod and the first time it only uploaded about 5 songs, i formatted it and tried again and this time it transfered most of the songs but only created 1 of the 2 playlists as ipod playlists. it took me queing the playlists about 3 times each to get all of the songs on the ipod. and one of the playlists was created fine. oh and i had to go to ephpod and wipe my ipod clean just to get mj9 not to crash everytime i clicked on the ipod drive. thanks
-w
---------

udeups

• World Citizen
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2002, 09:00:30 pm »

Ok, my problem went away. I reinstalled the latest MJ (see system info below) and iPod plugin. All seems well now. I've done various multiple file testing and it seems to work as expected. Now, it seems all that we need for the basics is playlist synching!

Media Jukebox PLUS 9.0.74
Install Path: C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

CPU: Intel Celeron 333 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 163 MB, Free - 19 MB
OS: Microsoft Windows 2000  Workstation 5.0 Service Pack 3 (Build 2195)

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106
ComCtl32.dll: 5.50.4916.400
Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
Shell32.dll: 5.00.3502.5436
wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

SteveG

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2002, 05:40:22 am »

udeups,

If you have a playlist and want to synch it with iPod, drop it on the root letter of iPod and hit upload. This will produce a synch by default (with the overwrite disabled).  I can try to dress up the interface, but functionally isn't this what you are after?

PS I am adding a one click "synchronize" feature that will synch all the files in the MJ database with the iPod.

Will,

Can you help me duplicate these problems. Can you isolate one issue and describe the steps you take to produce the problem. For example, drag one Playlist onto the root iPod, click upload and see what happens.  I am not disputing what you are seeing, but it is working here and I think for others.  The simpler the test you can do to create the problem, the better.  Can you be sure that you have downloaded the latest Plug-in.

Thanks.

willrmc

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2002, 06:33:04 am »

ok, i will do further testing tonight. and will that complete sync button upload all of your playlists as well? oooh i'm so excited! :D
oh and btw i am really enjoying some of the cool new features in mj9 nice work
---------

SteveG

« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2002, 01:48:38 pm »

Hello Everyone,

A new build just now. If you get MJ v 9.0.75 and get the new Plug-in, you will see a "Synchronization" option if you right click on the iPod drive letter. This will move all your files from MJ to the iPod without Playlists. I have not tried this with a large number of files, so only people who are willing to lose their data should try this.

In regards to Playlist/Smartlist moving. For now try just dragging and dropping the files. There are some bugs with "Send-To" and the drop target which I will look at on Monday.

Have a good weekend.

jgourd

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2002, 02:20:27 pm »

This will move all your files from MJ to the iPod without Playlists.

All my files? I take it this only works for people who have their collection stored on a 20gig Hard Drive.

jgourd

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2002, 02:57:33 pm »

No, my library is over 33,000 tracks stored on a very large file server.

Kurt Young

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2002, 02:59:19 pm »

All my files? I take it this only works for people who have their collection stored on a 20gig Hard Drive.

Hehe, I was thinking the same thing.

It's a great step in the right direction, though.  Next step -- synch with just your playlists instead of your whole library.  After that -- designate which playlists to synch with intstead of synching with all of them.  After that -- Kurt gets REAL happy!
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

jgourd

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2002, 03:01:59 pm »

You could also add an organization catagory "On iPod" and a check box here queues  it for copying or deletion.

willrmc

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2002, 04:21:15 pm »

ok let me start out by saying that its great to start seeing a sync option. this one is perfect for me (except it not doing playlists yet) because out of my 60gb of mp3s i only keep 10gb to fill my ipod stored inside the mj library, i find it easier organizing what exactly i want on it that way.
but the bad news is i couldn't get it to work. my library is about 9.1gb and i would hit sync and it would bring up a warning window and i hit ok, then a blank window came up with the title syncronization progress, and froze there, i tried it about 3 or 4 times.
but anyway with the problems i was having yesterday with not lal files making it on the pod. i found that if i dragged the playlist to the root instead of right clicking and send to device, it worked perfectly. we're coming along nicely here.
---------

Kurt Young

« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2002, 07:40:28 pm »

Tested with MJ v9.0.75 and iPod plugin dated November 08, 2002, 5:43:12 PM

A few words about playlist synchronization in the current build...

Playlist upload works great.  You drag a playlist onto the iPod, hit upload, and it copies the songs and makes a playlist on the iPod to match.  This absolutely rules.  However, it doesn't "synchronize" the playlists, it just uploads them.  Bear with me here...

I made an MJ-playlist and put two Bjork songs on it.  I dragged it onto the iPod and hit upload.  The result was a playlist on my iPod with the two Bjork songs.

Then, I edited the MJ-playlist: I deleted the two Bjork songs and added one Wyclef Jean song ("Bubblegoose" from the "Chef Aid" album.  South Park fans should hear this song).  Dragged it onto the iPod and hit upload.  The result was a playlist on my iPod with the Wyclef Jean song and the two Bjork songs; three songs total.

Since I was using the same MJ-playlist (with the same playlistID), the two Bjork songs should have been removed from the iPod playlist -- and quite possibly deleted from the iPod altogether.  This is an important piece of the puzzle that becomes even more vital when you think about dragging in MJ-smartlists, which change a lot more often than standard MJ-playlists.

This seems to open up a big can of worms when it comes to dragging in playlists.  I honestly don't have a clue what the best thing to do with a changed MJ-playlist in a drag-and-drop environment.  Delete from iPod-playlist?  Yes, definately.  Delete from iPod altogether?  I don't know... what if it's on other playlists?  Maybe yes, maybe no.  Ack, my head hurts.

PLEASE NOTE:  This in no way makes the uploading of playlists less valuable or important.  It's a great feature, and I'm happy to have it.  Dragging and dropping of playlists is something that I've been sorely missing in my iPod experience.  This is something that only Ephpod has allowed me to do, and since I normally use XPlay, I have zero experience with it.  Dragging in a playlist is a fantastic alternative to doing a complete synch, and I am glad that it's in.

As far as playlist synchronization goes... well, here's my brain dump for that.  It's long, so get a beer before ya click it.  I had some before I wrote it.  ;)
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

mconnell

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2002, 09:37:40 pm »

A new build just now. If you get MJ v 9.0.75 and get the new Plug-in, you will see a "Synchronization" option if you right click on the iPod drive letter.

Hi Guys,

I'd like to try this new plugin - long time EphPod user. I've installed 9.0.75 and downloaded the plugin version 3.0.17 from http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/downloads/plugins.pl?type=8 but I don't see any "Synchronization" option when I right click on my iPod drive letter under the 'CD, DVD and Handhelds' tree in MJ. What gives?

buddy

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2002, 10:52:14 pm »

Gentlemen & Gentlewomen,
I just purchased v8 and have tried downloading the ipod driver.  I do get a success installation dialog.  However, when in MJ I'm unable to see the ipod plug-in or any others.  
Could someone suggest a debuging strategy?

SteveG

« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2002, 03:26:20 pm »

Kurt, Jgourd, and Will,

All your points are well taken. For now don't use the synchronize thing, it is a feature that obviously needs some more work and I will attack it again on Monday.

I will also get the Send-to stuff going Monday because that seems sometimes easier than drag and drop.

Mcconnel,
I don't know. Can you wait to try the synchronization until Monday? Do you see other options with the right click? If so, what are some of them?

Buddy,
When you expand 'CD, DVD and Handhelds' you should see a drive letter that corresponds to your iPod. If you click on this you should see info from iPod.

jgourd

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2002, 05:21:04 pm »

I used the rebuild DB from Files feature. When it was done all the song names were the same as the file name.

mafoe

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2002, 04:43:51 am »

I also would really appreciate that, because I moved from Musicmatch to Jukebox because of the ipod plugin, which is not seen until the installation.

Cu marco

mconnell

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2002, 11:06:27 am »

Mcconnel,
I don't know. Can you wait to try the synchronization until Monday? Do you see other options with the right click? If so, what are some of them?

Steve,
I see the following on right click of the iPod drive (H:\):
  • Add SubFolder
  • Show queued files only
  • Play
  • Add to Plugin Now
  • Explore
I can't see any of the songs on my iPod which were added with EphPod.

buddy

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2002, 03:12:52 pm »

Thanks, for the recommendation, but nothing seems to work.  I have installed uninstalled four times now.  Also, I have downloaded v9 beta thinking it would work.  I still can't convert to mp3  (err 80040154) and I still can't get the ipod plugin to show under the handhelds folder (it only shows compact disk (d).  Additionally, I had two other music programs to do the same thing you are doing, so I uninstalled everything (the ipod driver for windows).  I then reinstalled the ipod driver and reinstalled MJ8 then MJ9.  It is becoming very frustrating.  None of this worked for the trial period so I purchased thinking that those features only came with purchase.
I really!!!!! need help.  Would someone please provide a debugging strategy so I can get this resolved?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2002, 03:41:47 pm »

Relax.  Breathe deeply.  Tomorrow is another day.

We broke mp3 encoding.  Check the other topics here.  It will be fixed tomorrow.

The iPod plug-in is still in progress.  Please be patient.

willrmc

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2002, 03:56:59 am »

i tested the playlist transferrring some more and found a few problems. one, and i think this has been mentioned before, is when you transfer over a playlist it completely loses its track order on the ipod. and two, on mine it seems to lose a few songs from each playlist. these songs seem to be pretty random and the number it doesn't put on depends on the playlist size. example, when i transfered a playlist with 22 songs only 20 made it on, when i transfered a list with 300 about 280 made it on. i can't find any order in its leaving the songs off. if you need more detailed info on this i can get it tonight. thanks
-
---------

jgourd

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2002, 05:18:57 am »

I did some testing with the latest iPod Plug-in and MJ9 v.75 (Beta 2)

Everything looks good so far with the exception of the rebuild database function. The track names end up being the file name rather than the name field in the tags.

I copied a smart list to the iPod. After the upload was successful, I detached the iPod and fired MJ back up. At this point, I cannot access any smart lists without MJ9 crashing. :P

SteveG

« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2002, 08:53:48 am »

JGourd,

The song name/ filename bug will be fixed in the next build of Version 9. The smartlist crash should also go away.

mafoe,

Could you specify what problem you are having?

Mcconell and Buddy,

Be sure the volume label for your iPod is "IPOD" and that you are looking in the tree under "CD,DVD,and Handhelds" not under "My Computer"

Willrmc,

For track ordering to be remembered, right click and do "Showed Queued files only" .  This will retain Playlist number ordering when transfering a Playlist.  In regards to the files not transferring, can you test and be more specific as to a cause and effect?

SteveG

« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2002, 01:36:51 pm »

Everyone,

The Playlist Synch thing is really close. The way it is going to look is that you will have a tree display of all your Playlists and Smartlists, and you will be able to select the ones you want and hit "Synch".

More tomorrow.

Steve

Kurt Young

« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2002, 03:59:37 pm »

Everyone,

The Playlist Synch thing is really close. The way it is going to look is that you will have a tree display of all your Playlists and Smartlists, and you will be able to select the ones you want and hit "Synch".

More tomorrow.

Steve

SWEEEEEEEEET!!  Dude, I can't wait!  Much respek!
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

jgourd

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2002, 05:12:17 pm »

MJ v9 Beta 3.

Smartlists no longer crash as promised. The iPod rebuild databse now uses name tag instead of file name. The specific sort in a transfered smartlist was retained on the iPod.

What I have been noticing recently is that sometimes the song you select to play gets skipped and the next song plays instead. You can hit the previous track button and it might play, but usually it skips the track again. Ocassionally I have to reset the iPod (hold play and menu for 5 seconds) if it hangs trying to play the track. When such a track does play, it plays through smoothly. Reformatting appears to make the problem go away. The db that was having these playback problems was created with the rebuild from files utility.

Reformatting the iPod in MJ9 causes MMJB to launch when the iPod is re-connected. Once in MMJB you can uncheck the "Launch when iPod is connected" preference.

The "Status" column shows the "Artist" info and "Handheld Path" shows the album name info while uploading.

It is getting better all the time.

How will you handle syncing smartlists when files are removed? Will you delete the removed file from the iPod and what rules will you follow to delete the files?

willrmc

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2002, 07:07:34 pm »

steve,

ok i got version 9 beta 3 and went to test it. i transfered small playlists at first and it all went over without a hitch. and your "show queued songs" trick worked for the playlist order. then i kept putting bigger and bigger until i was transferring my complete library playlist with +2500 files on it. one annoying thing is it told me about 4 times that i didnt have enough space to put the playlist on, even though i did because all the files already on the ipod were also on this new playlist. so i said ok over and over and it finally transferred and it seemed to go great putting just about all of the songs on. i did notice that out of the +2500 songs it didnt transfer 5. (not bad though)

the one file that i managed to find that didn't make it was a live song on the album "Ben Folds Live": "One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces".
the name of the file is 01 - One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces.mp3
"One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces" is also on a studio album "Whatever and Ever Amen" and it is also the first song on the album. hence the same filename, 01 - One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces.mp3

so when mj came to this song it assumed it was the same song, even though they had different album tags.
maybe you could write in that if it finds the same name like that, it will then check the album tag to see if they are in fact different songs.
other than that minor glitch it seems to be working great, i got 2500 songs transfered over and for the first time i will not wipe out the ipod and reload the songs with ephpod. i can't wait to try out that playlist sync!!!  :D :D :D
---------

willrmc

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2002, 07:17:23 pm »

ugh after all of that i unplugged the ipod and it only read 201 songs, so i guess mj didn't enter all it transfered into the itunes db. i ran the rebuild database function, but that just wiped out all of my playlists, d'oh.

oh and anyone that can't get the ipod to appear correctly in mj, try deleting the portables plugin in the plugin folder and redownloading it. i had to do this today and after that it worked fine.
---------

brownie

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2002, 12:29:03 pm »

okay so having read through this whole topic i'm afraid i have the same problem as *Buddy*. i have downloaded the iPod plug-in from http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/downloads/plugins.pl?type=8 there, is this the correct and latest plugin available for those on the trial version?

the little download box does indeed tell me that everything has been successful, but yet when I expand 'CD, DVD and Handhelds' i do not see a drive letter that corresponds to my iPod. Have i done something wrong? is there a seperate thing i need to do?

On looking at "Plug-in manager" under settings, on expanding "Handheld" it tells me that i have a plug-in called "Portable Drives" which is version 3.0.16.  Is this what i have installed instead of the iPod plug-in? Or is this something completely different altogether??

My final question is that in answering *Buddy*'s question you told us to make sure that 'the volume label for your iPod is "IPOD".'  How do i do this? (i.e. check and then if necessary change my volume label)

thank you so much for your help, it is really appreciated! hope you can answer all those questions!
James

willrmc

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2002, 12:39:27 pm »

if you go to windows explorer, what is the name of your ipod drive? it should be< X:IPOD > if you renamed it to something else, then change it back. and go check the date of your portables plugin in the jukebox plugin folder on your harddrive if it is not a recent date manually delete it and reinstall the one from the website.
---------
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up