INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPOD Duplicate File Warning When Importing  (Read 1057 times)

mhonard

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
iPOD Duplicate File Warning When Importing
« on: November 22, 2002, 01:36:07 am »

What ID tag does MJ determine file duplicates from?  I am trying to import two sets of audio book files to my new clean Ipod and all the ID tags are different except the track numbers and filenames.  I get the file duplicate warning.  I try to get around by "X" out of the warning since the only option is to delete duplicates but it still eliminates all files with the same track number from the previous import.  MJ does recognize that they are different artists, album etc   Is it just the track numbers or what.  I have not run into this problem with other programs and this is hindering my use of MJ which I like very much.

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: iPOD Duplicate File Warning When Importing
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2002, 05:15:37 am »

mhonard,

The duplicate message is triggered by a duplicate filename. Try using MJ to rename the Filename so they are unique and you will not have any problems.

Please feel free to comment if this seems unreasonable.

Steve (JRiver)

mhonard

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2002, 10:52:50 am »

It's not a big deal but different than I needed to do with musicmatch.  Means I need to rename a lot of files when I rip audio books.  Also I don't think the iPod cares about filenames rather it keys off of track title (I think).  If I am correct why would the import feature to the iPOD care about duplicate filenames?  Shouldn't it care about duplicate track titles?

Anyway this is what I am doing.  Usually I have a multi cd audio book either from audible, library etc.  When I rip it I need to create a folder for each CD or else I get duplicate track names (unless book has chapter titles).  Since I really dont want multiple folders I then need to renumber the file names so I can copy them into one folder. Usually I need to also clean up the ID tags.  Using this process every audio book I ripped has the same file names (ie track01, track02 etc) but ID tags that reflect the author, track title etc.  I also have to fix the track numbers.  Since the ID tags is all that mattered to musicmatch (and xplay for that matter) this was never a problem.

Any ideas?

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2002, 12:22:00 pm »

mhonard,

When ripping, can you have MJ use some rules to give the tracks individual names( go to "Options" File Naming and location when ripping).This will solve your folder problem and keep your tracks unique.

Pages: [1]   Go Up