INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Album artist support?  (Read 1245 times)

Richard Berg

• Junior Woodchuck
  • .sigs are lame
Album artist support?
« on: March 26, 2004, 01:10:48 am »

Ages ago I submitted something along these lines to the wish list, but when I came to see what the response was like, it appears disabled.  So:

MJ introduced me to the excellent feature of having an "album artist" tag.  (Yes, I know you can have arbitrary tags in APE files, but program support helps a lot.)  It's indispensable -- by convention I stick the composer into Artist and the performer(s) into Album Artist.  I imagine collectors of electronica have devised similar schemes for dealing with samples, ditto a cappella fans for keeping track of covered songs, etc...  

Problem is, MJ only supports it half-way.  The main display (or visualization, whatever the term is now) omits it.  You can't search for it.  When you drill down in the Media Library, it gets jumbled with ordinary Artist info.  Is there a workaround available or update possible?

I've been a registered MJ user for many years.  Tell me that MC has full support here and I may just be tempted...

pipsqueak

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "Actually, it's elementary, my dear Dawson!"
Re:Album artist support?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2004, 07:09:23 pm »

richard

im not sure i understand. i know you can add various info and sort by it, are you telling me that the visualisation doesnt display that field? What about the file sub screen - cant you order the files by the relevant metric (if that isnt there, you can add fields). i cant remeber how as ive been using MC 10 for a while. Try right clicking on the header and 'customise current view' or similar.

as to your second question - take a look at how active the MC boards are and make your decision that way

pip

Richard Berg

• Junior Woodchuck
  • .sigs are lame
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2004, 12:49:45 am »

are you telling me that the visualisation doesnt display that field?
Yes.  It displays Title, Artist, Album, Year, Genre, Comments, and Custom 1-3.  None of this is customizeable to my knowledge.

What about the file sub screen - cant you order the files by the relevant metric
Yes, in both the Playing Now and Media Library views you can sort by any field.  However, I'm talking about drilling down the hierarchy in the left column.  The latter method is much more useful, since normal sorting doesn't let you sort by >1 field, and doesn't prune the files you're not looking for.  Not as useful as it could be, however, since its parameters are fixed.

Searching just plain doesn't offer support.

pipsqueak

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "Actually, it's elementary, my dear Dawson!"
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2004, 12:49:47 pm »

richard

mc is totally customizable, its just not always obvious how.
the left hand screen allows you to add whatever categories you want:

Audio>right click>add view screen
or via smartlists:
playlists> F9 (adds smartlist) > choose own sorting function

the lower left screen also allows you to customise the headings used, these are sortable by any amount desired. Eg. click artist then click album. this will sort by album, then secondarilarly by artist etc etc.

if these features dont work that because i use v10. you can alkways download a trial for free to see if you like it
Pages: [1]   Go Up