INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Uploading songs to my iHP-140  (Read 2259 times)

MarSies

• Galactic Citizen
  • Keep on doing mambo ...
Uploading songs to my iHP-140
« on: April 04, 2004, 01:31:27 pm »

Uploading songs to my iHP-140 does not always work correct. Often somethings just hangs and the uploading is stopped. You cannot access MC anymore. For me this is a showstopper.

Happens so far 2 out of 5 times.
Also the information in the AW does not show the (exact) status of the upload request.

MarSies .....

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Uploading songs to my iHP-140
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2004, 05:53:53 pm »

MarSies,

Is there a particular file that it hangs on? Can you transfer that same file successfully from Windows? If so, can you email me the file?

Steve (steve @ jriver.com)

SteveG

Re:Uploading songs to my iHP-140
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2004, 02:51:13 pm »

MarSies,

Update on your bug report in the main thread, I am in the middle of a transfer of 400 ape files converting to mp3 on the fly. 200 files in and all is well.

Steve

MarSies

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2004, 02:59:10 am »

Steve,

Could you please repeat the uploadsequence a few times. I'm almost shure that the same thing will happen to you to.  :P

Do you notice that:
  • MC, can't be used when the proces has started
  • There is no listing of what has already been done and what is yet to come
  • During the proces you can't add ar remove file from the list
As far as I can see I haven't foud a specific file (song) on which things went wrong.

MarSies .....

SteveG

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2004, 09:56:09 am »

MarSies,

MC, can't be used when the proces has started
During the proces you can't add ar remove file from the list

This will not be changed at this time.

There is no listing of what has already been done and what is yet to come

Click on 'Show List' in the action window.

I am rerunning the test today.

Empyrean

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2004, 03:37:29 pm »

Steve,

I'm trying to figure out some workaround to get my iHP working in the manner it should. I am confused as to what the Advanced features do when choosing synchronization with my handheld. When you normalize, does it normalize the files on my PC and *then* transfer them or does it just normalize the files the destination files on handheld? Also, I am using Artist\Album as the folder structure which is fine. But, the filename itself is too long. How can I rename the files on the handheld to be only "Track - Title.mp3" or even just "Title.mp3"? I tried selecting all the files and right-clicking but the only option was delete.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--AJ

SteveG

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2004, 05:00:57 pm »

AJ,

In regards to normalization, a temporary file is normalized on your PC and then sent to the player. The file that is being converted is not changed.

In regards to the filename, there is nothing built in to accomodate what you need (there is a filename size limitation of 50 characters?). Something could be added but probably not at this time. I presume renaming the files in MC is not an option because you want the filenames you have for MC and are only changing them to overcome iRiver's limitation?

Steve

Empyrean

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2004, 06:13:34 pm »

Correct. There is a 52 character (I believe) limitation to the entire path of a file on the iRiver player. I would prefer not to rename my entire library just to accomdate my player at this point.

MarSies

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2004, 04:03:36 am »

Empyrean,

I don't know if you mean this but i have my songs named with "artist - song". What I do to remove the artist names is select files on iHP-140 --> tools --> library tools --> rename files from properties.

Then files will be renamed and shortened. Sometimes I get the message that a certain file already exists. I think it has something to do with the 52 character limitation of the iHP-140.
I hope this helps!!

Steve, thanks for the answers. I will try the "show list" on the action window. Only this has to be done in advance, because it's not possible not during the process.

MarSies .....

SteveG

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2004, 10:32:44 am »

MarSies,

The second test completed successfully.  The biggest variable for now is that I am testing with a different player. If you can give me any other clues if you see the problem again, that would be great.

Steve

madom

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2004, 02:21:25 am »

I found it to be a difference, whether I "upload" or "synchronize" files to the handheld (iRiver iHP-140).

Trying to "synchronize" 30GB from a smartlist to the handheld I had multiple interruptions. There is an error message box, but no message:

It has happened with different files. Also, in a new attempt, the same file can be synchronized ok. The errors could not be reproduced at will. At one point I was able to synchronize 1700+ files without problems, the next time I had an interruption every 20 or so files.

However, if I don't "synchronize", but only "send" the files (selected from the smartlist, then "send to") to the handheld, i get this screen in the action window

and no errors whatsoever.

Also, I found out, that if a file has a dot (.) in the album-ID3-tag, it won't be transfered, error code 3. A dot in the artist- or songname-tag doesn't bother though.

Mario

SteveG

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2004, 11:14:11 am »

Mario,

I replied on the Portable Digital Players board here....

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=8;action=display;threadid=20737&start=0

Lets pursue this over there. I will close this thread.

Thanks,

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up