INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Web Media is great!  (Read 2607 times)

sapnho

• Galactic Citizen
  • Leave a legacy
Web Media is great!
« on: April 04, 2004, 02:37:46 pm »

For some of you, this may be old news but I just discovered Web Media in MC and to someone sitting in Frankfurt/Germany it is just great to listen to a jazz radio station in Monterey, CA!!!

The quality is only 32kbit/s and to an APE spoiled lad this is not great but who cares... 1079 radio stations at your fingertips-wow!

My theory is that in 10 years from now, people will no longer buy any CDs but just subscriptions to music genres. These can then be accessed regardless of where you are. All the things that we love about Media Center will be handled server-side...well, I may be dreaming but theoretically this would make sense.  :D

Now all I need to do is check my volume-flat rate again... :P

edbro

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:Web Media is great!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2004, 03:11:07 pm »

It would be perfect if MC would recognize RealAlternative codecs. A lot of the stations play Real Audio format but I refuse to load their player.

sapnho

• Galactic Citizen
  • Leave a legacy
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2004, 03:18:31 pm »

It would be perfect if MC would recognize RealAlternative codecs. A lot of the stations play Real Audio format but I refuse to load their player.

Why?

edbro

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2004, 03:47:04 pm »

The RealOne player is unstable, ad-filled, and bloatware.  First of all, if you do want it, you have to hunt all over their site to find the free version. It's like they don't want you to get it.

Another reason is that I like to rely on MC to be my all in one solution (as much as possible.) I would rather not load different players just to play different formats. Hence, I use Real Alternative codecs and Quicktime Alternative codecs. I've already got Windows Media Player by default, QCD player and now MC. I simply don't want to load 6 or 7 players if I could achieve the same results with codecs.

It appears that I'm not the only one that likes to rely on MC to be their total solution. See this thread that is active right now: [http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=20396

urlwolf

• World Citizen
  • building gomotron!
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2004, 04:09:00 pm »

Saphno,

There are plenty of radio stations on the web that are way better than the ones listed by MC. Just do a search. You can even find plenty of 256kbps ones.

You can open them with MC even if they are not listed, just copy and paste the url...

Havana

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2004, 05:11:45 pm »

Real Alternative codecs
 Where can you download these?  I'd love to completely remove real audio.

edbro

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2004, 05:18:42 pm »

http://home.hccnet.nl/h.edskes/finalbuilds.htm

The codec pack at the top of the page has lots of codecs bundled together but if you just want Quicktime or RealAudio alternative they are listed separately lower on the page.

You can also find these listed on all the major download sites such as FileForum or Major Geeks.

cryst

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2004, 05:44:10 pm »

Real Alternative and QuickTime Alternative are fine, but I'd recommend being really careful about loading other "codec packs".  Codecs are a form of software, and unlicensed, hacked codecs can really screw things up on your system.  You are better off loading the legitimate, individual codecs you need (which won't be very many at all).  I don't care who has used a hacked codec set and lived to tell about it; my advice still stands.

And if you decide to use Real Alternative and/or QuickTime Alternative, be sure to remove RealOne Player (or RealPlayer, whichever version you have installed) and/or QuickTime Player first!

pat1066

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2004, 08:07:16 pm »

RealAlternative and RealOnePlayer seem to coexist OK for me. I did install RealOne second and deselect nearly all its options. Some websites need (demand?) it.
Pat.
Pat.

cryst

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2004, 08:25:39 pm »

If you installed RealOne Player after Real Alternative, what's the point to having Real Alternative at all?  Also, if you installed RealOne Player last, all the Real codecs got registered to it, I'd expect--so it's as if you don't have Real Alternative installed at all anyway.

What I was getting at was that if you have RealOne Player installed, and then install Real Alternative, RealOne Player will be effectively broken, since the codecs no longer point to it.  This is fine in and of itself, since the whole point to Real Alternative is to be an...  alternative to RealOne Player.  But if you go ahead and remove the (broken) RealOne Player at that point, you'll mess up Real Alternative.

So, either use RealOne Player or Real Alternative, but not both.  And if you go with the latter, remove the former...  first.

edbro

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2004, 08:27:27 pm »

Yeah, I'm trying to figure that one out myself. What is the point of Real Alternative if you are going to install Real Player anyway? The whole idea of Real Alt is so that you don't have to install the Real Player.

pat1066

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2004, 08:31:01 am »

Last time I looked MC10 would not work with RealOne only with  Real8 or Alternative. So I have Alternative to allow MC to jump up and play most Real files. I have RealOne (pretty well neutered) just for the sites that need it specifically.
Pat.
(Let me know if that does not make sense - I'm no expert!)
Pat.

edbro

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2004, 09:07:58 am »

How did you get MC to utilize Real Alt? My install does not use them. When I try to listen to a RA feed, it tells me I need to install RealPlayer. That was my whole point. If you can get MC to use the codecs then that would be great. Maybe I have something not configured properly??

pat1066

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2004, 09:25:47 am »

I just installed RealAlternative AND Media Player Classic (from same site above) and MC10 used it without having to be told in any way (So, for most R files, MC plays them - you don't see Classic - MC plays the streaming files it calls .RAM)
I think that R files can be a bit weird depending on their age.
Pat.
Pat.
Pages: [1]   Go Up