INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: o/t - cable tv audio  (Read 1211 times)

pipsqueak

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "Actually, it's elementary, my dear Dawson!"
o/t - cable tv audio
« on: April 02, 2004, 04:18:42 pm »

i have a tv signal that comes via cable (i dont subscribe so i dont have a decoder box, just the free channels). i currently send the signal into the tv and then using rca connectors take the stereo(?) signal to the amp and then to my speakers. is there a way to get better than stereo sound using my current setup?

thanks

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
Re:o/t - cable tv audio
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2004, 04:29:13 am »

Hi;

I can only talk from experience in the USA.

What country are you located in ?.

I assume you are living in an apartment with basic distributed TV supplied as part of the rent; I don't know of any free cable otherwise.  If that is the case, you are at the mercy of the apartment complex.  Most distributed TV is of medium to poor quality in both sound & picture.

What does it sound like?  Mono?  2-channel stereo?  Is there any channel separation between the left & right channels?   If not, then you may be receiving only monaural sound.

Is it real "boomy" or artificial sounding?

For better sound you need a decoder box & a subscription to a cable of satellite service.

I have gone through it all...

* Straight cable... no decoder box...
  - Often sounds "boomy" or artificial.
  - No rear channels.
  - No digital 5.1 Surround Sound.
  - Usually a medium to poor picture.
  - Usually only the lower channels (2- 99) are available.

* So-called Digital cable with decoder box...
  - Much better sound.
  - Decodes the digital TV image.
  - Usually NOT all digital.
  - Usually only the upper channels (above 100) are truly digital.
  - Lower channels (2 - 99) are usually still analog.
  - Decodes the sound for vastly improved sound on all channels.
  - Composite & sometimes S-video output jacks are available from the box.
  - Rear channels available (with Composite & S-Video) which makes all the difference in the world in both picture & sound as the sound & picture are sent to the TV separately. This gets rid of the "Boomy" sound.
  - Sometimes has an optical output for the cleanest sound.
  - 5.1 Surround sound sometimes available on certain movie channels.
  - Usually a better picture.
  - Usually all channels are available (for additional cost).

* DirecTV satellite TV (with decoder box).
  - Simply the best... all channels are true digital in both picture & sound.
  - Much better sound.
  - Decodes the digital satallite source for digital TV image & vastly improved sound.
  - Composite & sometimes S-video jacks are available form the box.
  - Rear channels available (with Composite & S-Video) which makes all the difference in the world in both picture & sound as the sound & picture are sent to the TV separately. This gets rid of the "Boomy" sound.
  - Often has an optical output for the cleanest sound.
  - 5.1 Surround sound available on any source material that was originally recorded with it.
  - MUCH better picture.
  - All channels available (for additional cost).

Without a decoder box you will only receive 2-channel stereo, no rear channels... no digital 5.1 surround sound.

Some of the newer speakers systems come with a separate control box that sometimes provide better control with the sound from ANY source.  I am using a Logitech Z-680 system on my computer set up.  The 680's have a very sophisticated control box.  It can receive sound from ANY source, analog, Composite, or optical all at the same time.  I can switch between the various sources with the Logitech remote control. It will also add rear channels to a 2-channel stereo source.  Very slick indeed.  The sound is truly awesome.
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

pipsqueak

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2004, 09:58:50 am »

Doc

Thats fantastic - just the answer i was looking for.

im in the US (NYC) so your right i get the free channels with the apartment. Its stereo (i think). currently i have it going through my hi-fi amp which has an upmix mode (Dolby II i think) which sneds a signal to all the speakers - its just not as clean as true 5.1.

my only option then is to get a decoder box (which via time warner has a digital coaxial output)

thanks

pip

DocLotus

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2004, 02:58:16 pm »

Hi again;

Glad to help.

If you are going to spend the money for Time Warner cable I would suggest don't waste your money on cable... it is simply awful compared to DirecTV satellite.

I went through that route myself & was never satisfied with the so-called "Digital Cable"...

- Sound was ok.

- High cost for what you get.

- Less then great picture especially channels 2 -99 which are still analog.  This is especially true in an apartment.  I had a cable TV service man work on my cable system for the best part of a day.  When he was done it was better but... a week later the quality of the picture dropped again.  Every time someone new was added to the system it seemed like the quality suffered.

- All channels from 2 - 99 are still analog & they suffer the most in picture quality.

- Then there is the problem of people trying to rip the cable company off by stealing service.  Twice I was cut off because someone broke into the outside cable box & stole my line for their own use.  Each time it took at least 24 hours for the cable company to schedule a service man to fix it.

- Had a lot of other service problems with digital cable.  Seems like they never knew what they were doing or what had to be done to resolve problems.

- They try to tell you that satellite goes out a lot. Well, cable is worst because it too is downloaded from satellite plus there is simply a LOT of other service related problems.

- They will try to tell you that every time it rains satellite goes out. Well guess what, the so-called "digital cable" is downloaded from satellite at a central location & is carried by optical cable to an area junction box where it then is distributed to a multi-block area & finally your apartment over standard copper coax wire.  That is a lot of copper wire for signal loss & that is some of the reason cable can never be as good as satellite.  The problem was for me that the satellite downlink was less then a mile from my apartment & every time it rained I lost my digital cable... especially channels 100 & up.

I yanked digital cable out & had DirecTV satellite installed for FREE no less...

- Best decision I ever made.

- Save $30 a month.

- Applied $26.95 of that to SBC DSL service... the second best decision I ever made.

- DirecTV service is simply wonderful, very dependable, great all-digital picture & superb 5.1 digital surround sound.

- I also get 46 channels of digital music... simply wonderful.

- As far as satellite going out in the rain... forget it.  I set the dish up myself on my balcony & tuned it to the maximum signal that I could get.  I get a very reliable 97 out of a possible 100 signal strength.  Yes, it will go out for very brief periods (usually seconds or a few minutes) in a very bad thunderstorm as the signal will be blocked enough by a bad storm to cause the signal to drop below 35 which is the minimum trip point for a digital signal.  But, cable would also go out in the same storm.  Most thunderstorms have no effect on the picture or sound as it is ALL digital... no analog like cable.  Usually during a storm the signal will stay at 92 or above.  DirecTV says that any signal over 70 is ok.  I have found that all is well down to 35.

- DirecTV is VERY dependable.  I have not had one single service man out for any problems of any kind in almost a year since I have had DirecTV!  With cable I had a service man out almost every month.

- Customer service is the very best I have ever experienced.  Each time I called them with a question, a real person quickly answered & they always had the correct answers.  It's no wonder JD Powers has awarded DirecTV the best overall customer service satisfaction award two years in a row.  I believe it!

Some apartments will try to tell you that you can't put up a satellite dish but, there is a law saying that they must allow you use a satellite dish.  Check your lease over VERY closely.   Also, ask for the "Satellite Dish and Antenna Addendum to Lease Contract" which very precisely spells out your rights & the requirements of putting up a satellite dish.

I have found that usually the apartment management do not understand the Satellite Dish requirements themselves.  I have on several occasions pointed out my rights in the "Satellite Dish and Antenna Addendum to Lease Contract" & they backed off each time.

I don't know what it is, but some apartments try to fight anyone that wants to put up a dish but, you have rights, so use them.

Hope this all helps.  ;D ;D
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2004, 03:16:24 pm »

I agree on the satelite issue.

I just had DISH Network installed at my house.  The whole installation was free, as was the equipment, including the PVR receiver.  Which some claim is like TiVo, but have obviously never used TiVo.  what DISH offers cannot even come close to comparing to TiVo.  But that's a whole other discussion.

Anyway, if you're gonna make a change, go satelite, you'll not regret it, i'm certain.
pretend this is something funny

DocLotus

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2004, 03:20:03 pm »

Yeh Justin;

One side note... DirecTV has true TiVo / Satellite receivers avaliable.

pipsqueak

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2004, 06:47:46 pm »

thanks for the info, will investigate satellite - not too sure the building rules here in NYC...

anyway, now im off to watch the simpsons in stereo with muddy picture quality

DocLotus

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2004, 06:58:13 pm »

Muddy Simpson's are better then no Simpson's ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up