INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: calculated fields  (Read 1635 times)

kaiynne

• World Citizen
  • I Changed this by choosing profile
calculated fields
« on: April 13, 2004, 01:25:58 am »

I would like to know if it is possible to make a true calculated field.  The application for this is basically to have an average rating field.  For example, my wife and I may have our own ratings for an album, but it would be nice to make an average of the two for when we are listening together.  I have tried to create a field that takes the sum of two other fields and averages them but it seems to simply combine all the text.

Thanks for any help you can give,
Kain

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re:calculated fields
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2004, 08:48:08 am »

Sorry, user-created calculated fields can't do any math.

It's something we could consider for 10.1 / 11.0 if enough people have a use for it.

Thanks!
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2004, 09:44:05 am »

Well i would certainly support the averaging of fields for an avg album score.

I think most ppl that rate albums would want this. Much easier to have an overall figure and to be able to group by that in a view scheme.

Makes it possible to see the best amongst albums of an artist, of the decade, by genre..etc

defnitley would like to see this in 10.1

wickesy

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2004, 12:14:43 pm »

Well i would certainly support the averaging of fields for an avg album score.

I think most ppl that rate albums would want this. Much easier to have an overall figure and to be able to group by that in a view scheme.

Yep, add my support for this.

kaiynne

• World Citizen
  • I Changed this by choosing profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2004, 02:06:36 pm »

That would definately be a huge advantage for me.  I did come up with a work around for this which might also apply to the avg album score.

Basically you give each song a rating and then you use the functions in the view schemes to cull all albums which have say two songs with a rating of two or below, obviously there are cases for which this is not going to be optimal; eg. Radiohead - Ok computer, there are probably five songs that would get a five out of five and two songs that would get 1 out of five, so in my theoretical view scheme there would be no ok computer.  I think that this is somehwhat of an abberation and the average album would work with this view scheme.  

It would be much easier though to just have calculated fields, and there are tons of applications for a calculated field that i can think of.

bjsolem

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2004, 02:47:38 pm »

and there are tons of applications for a calculated field that i can think of.

Like what?

I think that you are right, I just can't think of examples beyond average ratings.

I'm stupid that way......   ;)

EpF

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2004, 03:36:28 pm »

Yeah, math functions would be good - average genres would be another application...  

I think in general a way for MC to deal more comprehensively with albums would be a great; possibly a third pane in the media view, so you could select an album by cover art and see the track details after it.  I know this has been asked for before, but now I'm asking too!  Another suggestion I read somewhere here was for the track details to be listed in the Action Window (so you could select them and add them to playing now or a playlist) - any way it could be done would be very welcome

;)

paulr

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2004, 03:43:59 pm »

I'd like this feature!

I can see usage for this in 'calculated genres'.  Also, I would use it to calculate Album Gain (replay gain for the album as a whole).  Currently, I am keeping this data in a spreadsheet.
Pages: [1]   Go Up