INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Transcoding & burning mp3 CDs  (Read 1372 times)

Richard Berg

• Junior Woodchuck
  • .sigs are lame
Transcoding & burning mp3 CDs
« on: April 10, 2004, 10:50:36 pm »

New thread now that I have and am definitely sticking with MC10.  (And accounting for the fact that nobody reads the other forum...)

Basically, I was assured that it was possible to burn mp3 (data) CDs from my collection via simple drag & drop from my library.  Using external programs that don't have library-like intelligence is painful for reasons I won't repeat.  

Does the option I'm looking for exist?  The burning applet doesn't seem to respect any of the encoder options chosen elsewhere in the program.

crowfan

• Galactic Citizen
  • For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you.
Re:Transcoding & burning mp3 CDs
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2004, 11:05:32 pm »

It's absolutely possible, I just don't know if it's possible to do it in one step. You may have to convert to mp3, then burn the disc, then delete the mp3s if you don't want them anymore.

I don't have alot of experience in this though, as most of my library is already in mp3. Maybe someone else knows another way.

Hope this helps somewhat  :)

Enjoy MC,

crow
"It's going to be a trilogy."   Robert Jordan, circa 1989

Richard Berg

• Junior Woodchuck
  • .sigs are lame
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2004, 11:20:44 pm »

That seems to be what the other posters were implying, if not saying.  

2 steps is not unacceptable, and in fact may have an advantage -- external burners can create directories for each album, which is very helpful in my car player.  Unfortunately, since MC's converter doesn't allow filename manipulation (namely prepending the track #), things would get out of order within each album.  So naturally I'm still hoping for a better way :)

gpvillamil

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Listen to the music...
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2004, 01:56:13 am »

I'm not sure I understand the question.

MC does burn both audio and data CDs in one step, starting from MP3s. Is the question about transcoding from other formats into MP3, then burning an MP3 CD? I'm not sure how to do this, but it should be straightforward, since transcoding is supported for synchronization with handhelds.

As for filename manipulation, if you right-click on the CD Burning Action Window, you will get an extensive menu offering folder & filename formatting. In the Custom option there is a checkbox for prepending the sequence number to burned files.

MC will also create an .m3u playlist containing all the songs on an MP3 CD, which will be recognized by a lot of car/standalone players.

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2004, 09:57:29 am »

We will most likely be adding the feature you are talking about in a future version, namely transcoding while burning a data CD. Then it will be a simple one-step process. Look for it during the beta cycle of the next version.

For now, use the converter and click the Options button and enable the "Move to Location" option. Fill in a temporary staging directory, such as "c:\music\mp3-cd" or some such. Don't check the "create artist/album subdirectories" option. Make sure the all the other options are unchecked (update database, etc.). From now on, every time you convert a set of files for burning to CD, the converted mp3 files will be placed in this directory. Delete them after you are done burning the CD.

Now select the files you want burned and do the convert on them. When the conversion is complete, just drag and drop (from Windows explorer or the My Computer node of the MC "Drives & Devices tree) the files from the staging directory onto the "Burn CD" action window icon. Follow gpvillamil's directions for setting up the filename and directory name manipulation (it only needs to be done once, MC saves your settings). Then burn the CD.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up