INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PortableDrives Plugin Issue  (Read 1523 times)

RemyJ

• Citizen of the Universe
PortableDrives Plugin Issue
« on: April 09, 2004, 12:39:53 am »

PortableDrives Plugin problem...

My portable drive is a 120gig Firewire drive with more than just music on it.  When the plugin accesses the drive and builds the database the first time it includes ALL files on the drive not just those in the specified root directory.   This includes files in the hidden Recycled directory!!

I have 4000 music files and 24000 non music files on the drive and it takes forever to do anything with the drive because the database.mpl file has 28000 entries in it.

Shouldn't the database contain only those files found in the specified root directory?
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

SteveG

Re:PortableDrives Plugin Issue
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2004, 01:22:25 pm »

Shouldn't the database contain only those files found in the specified root directory?

Maybe. It is an easy enough change. I will post more on Monday.

Steve

pipsqueak

• "Actually, it's elementary, my dear Dawson!"
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2004, 05:04:36 pm »

RemyJ

i have a bunch of external drives. i dont let mc build the database automatically, i then add the folders i want manually later on...

RemyJ

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2004, 06:22:08 pm »

Hmmm.   Exactly how do you not build the database?   When I select the drive for the first time, I get a message box informing me that "MC has not stored file information for this device".  There's no option to not build the database.
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

pipsqueak

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2004, 06:27:37 pm »

Hmmm.   Exactly how do you not build the database?   When I select the drive for the first time, I get a message box informing me that "MC has not stored file information for this device".  There's no option to not build the database.

umm - i cant really remember it was a while back (will know soon; im just installing a new hd).

i think that because the drives were set to 'do nothing' on autoplay i was able to go to mc>file>library>import media then choose the drive and folder for mc to search.

i will let you know if this works once the new drive is up and running

pip

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2004, 06:28:37 pm »

I have 3 portable drives (two 160gig drives, one 300 gig drive), never seen this.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

edbro

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2004, 06:39:49 pm »

How are you defining a "portable drive"? I have an external HD that I connect through a USB port. It sounds like your setup, only USB, not firewire. Anyway, mine gets treated like any other drive. I don't use a plugin to access it. Most of my music is on this drive and I just told MC to import them.

RemyJ

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2004, 09:01:00 pm »

Ah.  I'm not using the portable drive as primary music storage.  That works just fine.

I'm using it as a "Handheld" under the "PortableDrives" plugin so I can copy tracks to it preserving the directory structure.  

Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

pipsqueak

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2004, 09:59:53 pm »

i didnt know you could even do that.

but is there any advantage ?

if you use mc to copy the files across to the new drive it preserves the structure anyway

pip

RemyJ

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2004, 11:19:06 pm »

i didnt know you could even do that.

but is there any advantage ?

if you use mc to copy the files across to the new drive it preserves the structure anyway

pip

There's no other way inside of MC to COPY tracks preserving the directory structure.   I've been looking for 2 years.  If you have one, let me know!

If you use the plugin manager to configure the portable drives plugin, there's a setting for "volume label".  Set it to the label of your removable drive and it'll show up in Drives and Devices as a handheld.

Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

SteveG

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2004, 02:04:33 pm »

RemyJ,

On further review, if it did, we would have to rebuild the database if the root ever changed and would need to not show any other locations on the drive in the tree. This is possible, but would cause other problems. It is not something to implement at this time.

In regards to the Hidden folders, tonight's build is modified so that hidden and system files will not be retrieved.

Thanks,

Steve

RemyJ

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2004, 03:16:34 pm »

That's progress anyway.  I can always hide my other stuff when using the drive for music transfer.

Thanks Steve.

Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce
Pages: [1]   Go Up