INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Normalizing without recompressing  (Read 1297 times)

cascius

• Galactic Citizen
Normalizing without recompressing
« on: April 12, 2004, 06:25:54 pm »

Hello guys,

I was wondering if there was a way to normalize mp3s without recompressing them. Basically applying the gain level to the mp3s. I use a Gen1 Ipod which doesn't support AutoGain. That's why I'd like to normalize them. Having to recompress my mp3s present 2 problems: 1: more data loss, 2: time it would take (7k mp3s...)

Anyway, let me know if there's a way to do this within Media Center or using an outside program.

Thanks,

-Cascius

Also: when normalising, is it better to go for 100% or another value? In the case of another value, why is that?

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
Re:Normalizing without recompressing
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2004, 06:29:35 pm »

Use Mp3Gain in data alter mode (rather than tag based). It essentially normalizes the mp3's in a better way than straight Normalizing does. Once done, the mp3 will be gained on ANY device you would play them on.

10-27

cascius

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2004, 06:31:44 pm »

Thanks for the quick reply Xen-uno.

I'm going to try this right away. Sounds exactly like what i was looking for.

Peace,

-Cascius

cascius

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2004, 06:52:12 pm »

I like Mp3Gain a lot, but I'm not sure about that default target volume of 89.0

It seems to me that it's a bit low. In MC, i only use the DFX plugin and I believe I could easily have 92+ volume. On my Ipod, I don't use the shity equalizer because, hmmm, it's nuts. :)

Anyone knows if I should stick with 89 or if should go with a higher value?

Thanks in advance,

-Cascius

xen-uno

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2004, 07:02:44 pm »

You can override...but it will be a trial and error process. You'd probably be safe at 92 dB. If you tell MP3Gain to generate a log, you can then look at the peak values (to see if there's any clipping)...or simply run MG again with the analyze switch (which will give you those figures without actually altering anything). It's been awhile since I've played with it...so I'm a little foggy on usage.

10-27

nathanchavez

• Galactic Citizen
  • I know nothing except for the fact of my ignorance
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2004, 09:53:45 pm »

I must be an idiot but I can't for the life of me find the "transform" menu that I need in order to normailze mp3's.

Also, I have roughly 4300 mp3pro files.  Is it possible to "normalize" files with the method above and have it work on my handhelp as well?  Would it be safe set MC to normalize my entire collection when I'm asleep?

xen-uno

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2004, 11:39:58 pm »

MC doesn't normalize files that have already been encoded AFAIK...unless it does it in a mp3>wav>normalize>mp3 fashion. The checkbox I remember (somewhere in Options...probably Encoding) is Normalize Before Encoding.

MP3Gain will not work on pro files but if you convert them to wav's, then you can use WavGain (or MC) and then re-encode...I know of no other way (other then Replay Gain...and I'm not sure tools exist).

10-27

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2004, 09:23:41 am »

I stick to 88 dB since a few tracks (like Private Investigations by Dire Straits) have tops and bottoms that are so extreme that even 89 could be too much on Album Gain (which I always use). This works perfectly for me. When I burn CD's I just push the gain up a bit in MCs DSP.
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system
Pages: [1]   Go Up