Devices > PC's and Other Hardware

OT - Can anyone recommend a good Receiver?

(1/3) > >>

kwake:
Hi, I'm really liking MC10, thanks for everyone here who took the time and effort to call out the bugs as the JRiver Dev team finely tuned it to (near) perfection. :o)

I've just begun a search to replace an ailing 10+ year old Sony 5.1 Surround Receiver (model STR-DA30ES). The rear channel amps seem to have gone south on me, and I think it's about time for a change anyway.

Can anyone recommend a good, solid, simple but great sounding receiver/amp with the following features (and not much more if possible):

- 7.1 surround channels
- DTS and THX decoding/certification
- ~100 watts per channel
- Optical & Coax inputs
- Less than 1000 bucks
- Smallish size (No need for video ins/outs for example)
- 110 to 240 volt (50 and 60 hz) support for multi-national (I'm a Canadian living in France)
- removable power cord (for reason stated in previous point)

The only inputs will be my PC's coax out (for MC10 of course) and maybe a minidisk optical in.

Thanks for any feedback/links you can provide to help me in my search.

Best regards,
Kwake

pipsqueak:
take a look at:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1077626340181&skuId=6304778&type=product&productCategoryId=cat03031

it has everything on your list...

i have the 6.1 version of it and im very happy. the yamaha dsp chips produce some very good sound fields, its got very low harmonic distortion. additionally the international models SHOULD have a voltage selector so you can switch between 50 and 60 Hz (however, the US one doesnt have this)

pip

loraan:
I have a Denon 3803. It meets some of your requirements, but not all.

I'm especially impressed with its usability. It seems like Denon really thought about things from the user's perspective. For example, it remembers with surround mode or DSP setting you used for each input and for each sound format (i.e. DD vs. DTS; DD 5.1 vs DD PCM, etc...). So if I play a DD 5.1 signal, it plays back direct, but if I play a DD 2.0 signal, it switches to Dolby PLII matrixed surround automatically.

I think that it supports both U.S. and European voltage and has a detachable power cord, but it's been a long time since I was back there.

It has 7.1, but it doesn't support PLIIx, which gives stereo surround-back channels. Only PLII, which has dual mono surround-back channels. It also has the option for A/B rear surrounds. In other words, you can install two sets of rear surrounds and use one for movies and the other for music, for example. Alternatively, you can use the second output as an amplified zone 2 output.

Since the 3805--the successor to the 3803--came out, 3803s are marked down a lot. You can surely find one below $1,000 U.S.

It does have video inputs and switching, although you don't need this.

It has 2 optical and... 5? I think 5 coax digital inputs.

I don't think it's THX certified, but it does follow THX recommendations in areas such as bass management (adjustable 80Hz crossover, etc...) It might be one of those devices that meets THX certifications, but the manufacturer didn't bother to go through the THX certification process due to cost, etc...

loraan:
By the way, you might want to check out avsforum (http://www.avsforum.com), which I'm sure you're familiar with. Go to the "receivers" forum and search around.

skeeterfood:

--- Quote from: loraan on April 15, 2004, 04:50:58 pm ---I have a Denon 3803. It meets some of your requirements, but not all.

Since the 3805--the successor to the 3803--came out, 3803s are marked down a lot. You can surely find one below $1,000 U.S.

--- End quote ---

I have the Denon 3801 which is basically the same as the 3803 without DPLII and am extremely happy with it.  So I'd suggest any of the 3801+ models (3800 had a fan that tended to be loud, or die after a bit) based on what you're willing to spend...

-John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version