Devices > Androids and other portables

Between players

(1/2) > >>

8thNote:
I'm trying to decide on a hard drive portable digital audio player. I think I've narrowed my choices down to the following four players.

Neuros 40GB Digital Audio computer
I like this player's feature set and integration. The open community and upgradable backpack HD are big pluses.

Creative Nomad Jukebox 3 or 60 GB Zen
These for their superior audio quality, lots of storage, and easy on-device playlist creation (though I'm not sure how much I'll use that).

Archos AV140
This thing looks awesome for its video capabilites, but I don't know if it supports WMA. I'm also not sure if I'd really need the video features.

Basically, I'm looking for the following features.
[*]40GB or more storage.
[*]Easy integration with MediaCenter 9.1. I don't want or like any other music software out there.
[*]An FM transmitter would be awesome because I commute 2.5 hours a day and I may get a car without a cassette player (for the adapter).
[*]MP3 recording via line-in and internal mic.
[*]Logical navigation. I want something where I can navigate by artist, album, genre, or a combination of any of those three (e.g. genre-artist-album).
[*]Decent battery life.
[*]FM tuner would be cool, but not necessary (AM would be better, but still not a big need).
[*]Size doesn't matter too much to me because I won't walk around with it. Just in my car or on my desk.
[*]USB 2.0 or Firewire support.
[*]Can double as an external HD.
[*]I'd like this below $400 or $10 per GB.
[/list]

I really liked the Samsung Yepp but it's only 20GB, the iRiver iHP140 is awesome but too expensive and still lacking some things I want.

If you know some good websites with reviews (other than the obvious c|Net and PCWorld) or MP3 player forums, please let me know.

Thanks!

Mysticeti:
Ditto the website question... Anyone know of a good web site that reviews MP3 players and offers a break down of players based on storage type: flash memory vs hard drive vs CD based?

Thanks!

pank2002:
Dapreview.com is pretty good for HD players.
You can also check out head-fi.org --> portable audio, it's likely you can find reviews there.

Note, I would go for the Creative. It's just a nice audiophile player and it got lineout (for use in car) plus really good battery life (with two gumsticks.) I don't think any player supports AM though.

LonWar:

--- Quote from: 8thNote on April 17, 2004, 12:45:25 pm ---Creative Nomad Jukebox 3
--- End quote ---
This player is now discontinued. Also only available in a 20gb player.
--- Quote ---or 60 GB Zen
--- End quote ---
This seems like a great little player. Almost identical to the Jukebox 3, except the size. Also this only supports 1 battery, 11hrs. The JB3 had slots for 2 batteries.

I used to have a JB3, My car got broken into this weekend,  :'(
When I but another player it will definately be the 40gb zen xtra, The JB3 has amazing connectivity with MC10, (There is a ton of differences with 10 over 9.1 with the handhelds....

You can also download the manual from Creative labs and take a look.

pank2002:
I think they've rereleased it in a 40gig version, but which can be obtained for about around 400. You can get an equal zen for 300. No line out and long battery life though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version