INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: NOMAD JUKEBOX / ZEN Issues  (Read 66883 times)

TXgary

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
Re:NOMAD JUKEBOX / ZEN Issues
« Reply #100 on: August 26, 2004, 09:49:07 am »

Did you have the playlist working on 10
Mine works fine on 10

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #101 on: August 26, 2004, 10:35:50 am »

funnyguy1964,

In MC v 11, click on the 'sync playlists' option in the Action Window. When you do this, you will see a tree in which you can select whichever playlists you would like to sync.

Steve

Diverdown1964

• World Citizen
  • No matter where you go, there you are
« Reply #102 on: August 26, 2004, 02:21:05 pm »

Thanks Steve... but that's what I do! Again - the tracks make it over, but the lists don't.

And I just got this thing - never tried it with v10

SteveG

« Reply #103 on: August 26, 2004, 05:37:42 pm »

funnyguy1964,

Can you try again with MC 11.0.70. Also, be sure you are selecting 'Sync Playlists' not 'Sync All Files'.

Steve

Diverdown1964

• World Citizen
« Reply #104 on: August 26, 2004, 10:05:18 pm »

Hi Steve. Tried with 11.070 - I saw a new message at the end of the sync process, but the results were the same. I selected a new playlist (one I hadn't previously synced). THe files made it over, but the list itself didn't.

TXgary

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #105 on: August 27, 2004, 07:46:33 am »

I have confirmed that MC 11 will not transfer playlists when requested.  
Everything seemed to work fine.  I chose 1 playlist and chose to download playlist and the songs were downloaded cleanly but no playlists.  Then I downloaded an album not associated with playlists and that was ok.  Lastly I synced the original playlist and 1 additional.  All songs were downloaded, but no playlists.  
Are we doing something wrong?

TXgary

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #106 on: August 27, 2004, 07:47:26 am »

Sorry, I am running MC 11.70

TXgary

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #107 on: August 27, 2004, 07:55:32 am »

OK here's the deal.
After syncing and when I go to close MC11 I get the following error message.
"Media Jukebox.exe application error
The instruction at "0x02fd1519" referrenced memory at "0x03012f40" the memory could not be read"
click on ok to terminate the program.
I do not get the error when I close MC70 without syncing to the zen.
Hope this helps

Diverdown1964

• World Citizen
« Reply #108 on: August 27, 2004, 08:34:55 am »

I get this same MC error after syncing, although before you mentioned it, I hadn't associated it with the plugin.

SteveG

« Reply #109 on: August 27, 2004, 03:28:56 pm »

I am majorly overhauling the MC 11 Portable code. Please hold on MC 11 issues until next week when the reworked version is released and we can troubleshoot from there.

Thanks.

Steve

Diverdown1964

• World Citizen
« Reply #110 on: August 27, 2004, 03:36:29 pm »

No problem waiting here. Should we watch this space or the main forum?

Thanks for your efforts.

SteveG

« Reply #111 on: August 27, 2004, 03:41:02 pm »

I will post in the history file for MC 11 and here as well.

Thanks,

Steve

TXgary

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #112 on: August 27, 2004, 04:17:24 pm »

Thanks Steve,
This will be fine with me as well.
I will reload from 10 and review next week.

Nolonemo

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm still a malla!
« Reply #113 on: August 27, 2004, 04:22:51 pm »

That's greata Steve, I'm drooling to get album artist [auto] syncing again!

TXgary

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #114 on: August 31, 2004, 08:28:55 pm »

Steve,
do you have any news on the interface between MC11 and zen?
Just checking, didn't want you to forget...... just kidding...

SteveG

« Reply #115 on: September 01, 2004, 09:49:03 am »

TXGary,

Not forgotten. It is getting closer to being ready for Alpha release.

Steve

TXgary

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #116 on: September 01, 2004, 10:07:14 am »

I am not pushing, just thought I may have missed something.  
We want it right and that takes time.

Diverdown1964

• World Citizen
« Reply #117 on: September 16, 2004, 07:55:25 am »

A few more observations about why my playlists might not be syncing.

I've got all sorts of different formats (mp3, ape, flac, wma) in my library. Inevitably, my playlists will have a few "non-zen" type formats, which should be fine because MC will convert them on the fly. There appears to be a couple of problems with this.

I think that the initial synchronization comparison is done on the pre-converted file, so even if I've already synchronized, it's comparing .mp3 extensions to .ape (or others), and then transfers the file again.

It also seems that the playlist can't be created on the ZEN because of these files (the list that gets transferred to the ZEN contains unsupported file types), and then the list never gets created.

Is it possible to change the routine to do eliminate the extension from both areas?

I also frequently get transfer errors that state the file is not opened with rights for synching, and that I have no idea about.

Just a few thoughts.

SteveG

« Reply #118 on: September 16, 2004, 11:27:12 am »

I think that the initial synchronization comparison is done on the pre-converted file, so even if I've already synchronized, it's comparing .mp3 extensions to .ape (or others), and then transfers the file again.

That is not how it works. MC compares the file's Name, Artist, Album, Genre and Tracknumber and if they are the same, MC does not resend the file.

It also seems that the playlist can't be created on the ZEN because of these files (the list that gets transferred to the ZEN contains unsupported file types), and then the list never gets created.

If the list contains unsupported file types, are you sure you have enabled the option to convert the files?

I also frequently get transfer errors that state the file is not opened with rights for synching, and that I have no idea about.

Try isolating a file that gives this error and try transferring it with another application. It may not have transfer rights which  would be a problem.

Steve

Diverdown1964

• World Citizen
« Reply #119 on: September 16, 2004, 11:47:55 am »

Thanks Steve.

I don't have the force conversion option turned on... I assumed that it would automatically convert anything that wasn't supported, and that "forcing" it would perform a convert even if it wasn't necessary. I imagine this may be at the root of my roubles (except the last one).

I'll do some more testing and let you know.

Diverdown1964

• World Citizen
« Reply #120 on: September 16, 2004, 08:55:51 pm »

OK, I downloaded the latest alpha (84), I've got conversion turned on, forcing everything to MP3, and I now have a number of problems and observations.

1. MC thinks that my Zen only has 2.1 GB available. This severely limits my syncing options!  :). I have the 60 GB model. Any idea what's up there?

2. When syncing, I very frequently received the popup window "The action cannot be completed because the other program is busy". Clicking on retry would allow it to move forward, but it appeared to pop up on every file that required conversion. On a hunch, I cancelled the sync halfway through, and changed the converter to MP3 VBR (I was using MP3 at 192). But it didn't appear to make any difference. However VBR is intolerably slow (unusably so).

3. When forcing conversion,  does it take into consideration the bitrate as well as the format, and convert files to a higher bitrate? It appears that the space required calculation assumes that all files will be at the given bitrate (with 192 selected at least).

4. I am still seeing some "File is opened woithout permissions to transfer errors, but they don't appear to be consistent - they don't occur on the same files each time.

5. The playlist itself still does not appear on the Zen, although the "syncing playlist info" does come up at the end of a transfer.

Sorry to be full of bad news!

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Diverdown1964

• World Citizen
« Reply #121 on: September 16, 2004, 09:38:58 pm »

One more addendum....

After successfully syncing a playlist, I clicked synchronize again, and it attempts to transfer, and it starts sending files again. I hit cancel, but any of the files that were successful show up twice on the Zen.

I must have something seriously screwed up.....

SteveG

« Reply #122 on: September 17, 2004, 01:31:26 pm »

funnyguy1964,

1. MC thinks that my Zen only has 2.1 GB available. This severely limits my syncing options!  . I have the 60 GB model. Any idea what's up there?

Please confirm with another application wheter or not this size report is accurate.

2. When syncing, I very frequently received the popup window "The action cannot be completed because the other program is busy..."

I made changes in the next build that hopefully resolve this. I do not see this message.

3. When forcing conversion,  does it take into consideration the bitrate as well as the format, and convert files to a higher bitrate? It appears that the space required calculation assumes that all files will be at the given bitrate (with 192 selected at least).

If you have the option selected to skip same file types, the next build will correctly take that into account when estimating available space. If files already exist on the Zen, they will not be transferred and are not in the calculation of available space.

4. I am still seeing some "File is opened woithout permissions to transfer errors, but they don't appear to be consistent - they don't occur on the same files each time.

Can you give me the exact wording of this error?

5. The playlist itself still does not appear on the Zen, although the "syncing playlist info" does come up at the end of a transfer.

This could be due to a failure to transfer the files associated with this playlist.

It appears you have a couple of issues going on here, some of which may not be MC's.  Please respond to item 1 and we can go from there. Also, try to sync a playlist without converting files and see if that works for you.

Steve

Diverdown1964

• World Citizen
« Reply #123 on: September 18, 2004, 11:36:59 am »

Thanks Steve

Well starting with #1.... the Creative MediaSource organizer appears to recognize the correct amount of storage space. I hadn't tried syncing with it before, but when I did,  I noticed that it is also a LOT faster, probably by a factor of about 5.

Also - just further to the "server is busy" popup message - I suspect that it is related to the LAME encoder, as I don't get the message if i try to convert everything to WMA.

I grabbed the latest MC build, but unfortunately, It can't access the Zen at all, and trying to do so crashes MC (see the post in the main forum). I'll try it as soon as the next build/fix is available.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #124 on: September 19, 2004, 12:21:27 pm »

I have a Nomad Jukebox 3 and am having problems with MC 11.0.85 and v 9.0.54 of the Nomad plugin.  I keep getting "Server Busy" errors when trying to look at files on the Nomad or transfer files to it.  I have to click "Retry" several times to get out of it but it is not very feasible to sit there and respond to this dialog every minute or so when transferring thousands of songs.

Also, when looking at files on the Nomad it lists "0" files when I click on a Genre.  It doesn't list any files until I drill down all the way to an Album.   This makes it impossible to see how many files are in a Genre, for example.  Is this normal?  Thanks.
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

Nolonemo

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm still a malla!
What Zen plugin for MC11?
« Reply #125 on: September 20, 2004, 12:35:06 pm »

Steve, should I be using the MC10 Zen plugin for MC11 (WinXP)?  I tried syncing the Zen with MC11 without downloading/installing a plugin, but it wouldn't connect.

Just saw the post about .85 & Zens.  When I download the next v of MC11, will it automatically fetch and install the correct plugin for the Zen, or will I have to do that manually?

Thanks,
Nolo

Diverdown1964

• World Citizen
« Reply #126 on: September 20, 2004, 01:13:23 pm »

At the risk of being wrong.......

Yes, it will go and fetch the appropriate plugin automatically, but it's not specific to the ZEN, it's the same for any handheld device now.

Nolonemo

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm still a malla!
« Reply #127 on: September 20, 2004, 03:33:03 pm »

Thanks, FG, I guess I'll have to wait for the next build, because now, though MC11 recognizes that there's a Zen hooked up, it won't read the contents (I get the server busy error message).

SteveG

« Reply #128 on: September 20, 2004, 04:48:24 pm »

Everyone with MC 11,

Please go to Tools->Plugins->Handhelds and remove the Nomad Jukebox plugin. Then, get tonight's build of MC 11 (11.0.86) and it should automatically install the latest plugin (11.0.03). Then, all should begin to be better. Please report any remaining issues and I will work on them tomorrow.

Thanks,

Steve

PS If anyone has a Nomad Jukebox Zen (not the Xtra or NX) could you please tell me the exact name that appears in the MC tree? Tonight's build may not run the correct plugin for Zen but this can be fixed without a new build if I have the exact name.

Diverdown1964

• World Citizen
« Reply #129 on: September 20, 2004, 05:55:08 pm »

:)

Yup - Everything appears to be working nicely here!

Way to go Steve. Greatly appreciated.

Diverdown1964

• World Citizen
« Reply #130 on: September 20, 2004, 10:28:23 pm »

Just one little thing.....

In my exuberance, I've queued up about 500 tracks, and let 'er rip. It appears to be running admirably, and FAST. However, every once in a while I encounter the following error:

"132 Cancel Remaining File Transfer?"

To which I can select no, and it carries on. It may be happening when my system is being taxed.

Apart from that, it's all working nicely.

SteveG

« Reply #131 on: September 21, 2004, 09:28:54 am »

funnyguy,

132  correlates to an error returned by Nomad which means 'Failure to open file'. In other words, there is a failure to open the file to initiate the copy of the data to Nomad. I am not sure why you are seeing this. It is a valid error and not simply the program being flaky. Can you try to isolate a file where you see this and send it to me? If not, try to see a pattern in when you see it or give me whatever else you can to come up with a guess as to why you see this. What OS are you running?

Steve

PS I have not had other reports of this which may mean that it is something peculiar about your files or system.

TXgary

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #132 on: September 21, 2004, 10:11:16 am »

SteveG wrote

Please go to Tools->Plugins->Handhelds and remove the Nomad Jukebox plugin

SteveG - Does this cause a problem in MC 10?  As I am running both until the sync and a few other things get worked out....  I would like to drop 10, but have not at this point.

SteveG

« Reply #133 on: September 21, 2004, 10:45:01 am »

TXgary,

It should not. It should remove the plugin from MC 11, but not from 10.

Steve

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #134 on: September 21, 2004, 12:41:37 pm »

Everyone with MC 11,

Please go to Tools->Plugins->Handhelds and remove the Nomad Jukebox plugin. Then, get tonight's build of MC 11 (11.0.86) and it should automatically install the latest plugin (11.0.03). Then, all should begin to be better. Please report any remaining issues and I will work on them tomorrow.

I did exactly this but it never installed the plugin for my Nomad Jukebox 3 when I connected it.  Do you have a link to the latest plugin?  Thanks.

Diverdown1964

• World Citizen
« Reply #135 on: September 21, 2004, 01:05:56 pm »

Hi Steve

I'm going to try a re-sync tonight and see if I get the error again. If a few files failed the first time around then those should be the ones to try to resync, so we'll see if there's a pattern. Again, it could have been as a result of my system getting overtaxed.

I'm running WinXP Pro SP2.

SteveG

« Reply #136 on: September 21, 2004, 03:56:27 pm »

cncb,

The plugin will not get installed for Nomad Jukebox 3 until I update an internal file to check for it. In order to do that, I need the exact name of the player as it appears in the MC tree when you expand devices in MC. Can you tell me that please? (we do not have a Jukebox 3 here for me to confirm this information).

Thanks,

Steve

Funnyguy,

Thanks. Lets check in tomorrow.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #137 on: September 21, 2004, 07:36:33 pm »

Steve,

I'm not sure if this will be a problem, but it seems to append the "owner" name to the name of the player in the MC tree.  So, for me it shows:

"NOMAD Jukebox 3 (Craig)"

Diverdown1964

• World Citizen
« Reply #138 on: September 22, 2004, 07:22:05 am »

Steve

I had a pretty major system meltdown last night, and as a result, I've been unable to test much further. I did get a chance to try a resync first though, and a few files came up with that same error.

As soon as I'm back up, I'll chase it further

John

SteveG

« Reply #139 on: September 22, 2004, 12:58:13 pm »

John,

Thanks. Let me know. Sorry about the system melt.

cncb,

Thanks.  I already disregard the 'owner' name so that won't matter.  Tonight's build should support Nomad Jukebox 3

Steve

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #140 on: September 24, 2004, 02:35:30 pm »

The appropriate plugin was donwloaded and overall has worked quite well.  A few things I noticed:

1) I have had some random "146" errors (download error).  It happens for no apparent reason with say 5 out of 400 files.  No matter if I respond to cancel the remaining downloads it keeps going anyways.

2) If it finds duplicate files, I get the warning dialog to skip, replace, etc. but it shows it multiple times during a sync even if I select "Apply to All".  Also, it would be nice if it could detect the duplicate file before it converted the source file.

Thanks.

Diverdown1964

• World Citizen
« Reply #141 on: September 24, 2004, 03:48:26 pm »

Hi Steve

I'm back up and running. With a new MB, CPU, and fresh install of Windows, so we know it's pretty clean (luckily, I back up my library automatically, so I retrieved it).

Did a new sync and I still got that error on 2 files, although they seem unrelated. If you like, I can mail them to you if you'd like to let me know your email address.

Aprt from that, it's working like a dream. Loving my playlists on the Zen.

John

SteveG

« Reply #142 on: September 25, 2004, 05:07:17 pm »

cncb,

I will take a look at this next week.

John,

If you could email me one of those files, that would be great.

Thanks.

steve @ jriver.com

Diverdown1964

• World Citizen
« Reply #143 on: September 26, 2004, 08:57:39 pm »

Hi Steve.

I'd send you those files, but I'd be wasting your time. It turns out that the files in question were bad entries in my library pointing at files that didn't exist. I've corrected that, and there's now no problem.

I've noticed something else though. Initially, when synchronizing, the status line and the file line run together in the action window -you can't read it.

Also - I have another library for audio books. if I transfer files from that library, it wipes out my playlist (the files are still there). Is this known behaviour?

Thanks

John

SteveG

« Reply #144 on: September 27, 2004, 04:58:25 pm »

cncb,

Try deleting the Nomad Jukebox plugin that you have (under Tools->Plugin Manager->Handheld) and install tonight's build of MC 11 which will automatically install a new plugin.  The '146' error is what Creative reports if their WMDM is not intialized.  What filetypes are these files? WMA?  Regardless, if you cancel the remaining transfers, the transfer should stop. It does for me with the latest build so please try again with tonight's build.

2) If it finds duplicate files, I get the warning dialog to skip, replace, etc. but it shows it multiple times during a sync even if I select "Apply to All".  Also, it would be nice if it could detect the duplicate file before it converted the source file.

When you see the warning dialogue, what option are you selecting (e.g. skip, replace, etc)? This dialogue generally should never show up. Are you seeing a warning about duplicates before you transfer (before the actual transfer starts)? You should.

The definition of duplicates between MC and a Portable is based on matching Name, Artist, Album, Genre and Track Number. Nomad calls files duplicates even if they have different Track Numbers and the other fields are the same. This could be causing the faulty results for you.

John,

The run together lines in the Action Window is fixed in tonight's build.  

I have another library for audio books. if I transfer files from that library, it wipes out my playlist (the files are still there). Is this known behaviour?

How are you transfering the files? If drag and drop, this should not happen. If synching, this could happen becuase at the end of a sync you should have only the selected playlists on the player.

Steve

Diverdown1964

• World Citizen
« Reply #145 on: September 27, 2004, 05:19:40 pm »

Hi Steve

Yup - I'm syncing. Would it be possible to make this another option? Here's a case where I'd like playlists from both libraries to reside on the Zen.

Thanks

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #146 on: September 27, 2004, 07:20:09 pm »

Steve,

1) These are WMA lossless files being coverted to lower bitrate WMA.  I was able to do a second sync after the first with the few failures and they all synched fine on the second attempt so this is not a big deal.  

2) This dialog I think was displayed because I had old files on the Nomad that I had synched with an older version of Media Center.  If I chose replace, it would not show the dialog for the next attempted synch for that file, but if I chose skip it would keep showing it during each attempted synch until I replaced the file.  No matter what option I chose, it showed the dialog for every file during the same synch even when I chose apply to all.  I did not see a warning before the transfer with these files, only after the conversion of the file and right before the transfer.

In any case, I am now all synched up so I don't expect to run into these problems again.

Thanks,
-Craig

SteveG

« Reply #147 on: September 28, 2004, 10:09:45 am »

John,

In the latest version of MC 11 you can drag and drop a playlist onto your Nomad. This will prevent playlist deletions like you would see if you were synching.

Craig,

If I chose replace, it would not show the dialog for the next attempted synch for that file, but if I chose skip it would keep showing it during each attempted synch until I replaced the file.

This is what I think it should do.

No matter what option I chose, it showed the dialog for every file during the same synch even when I chose apply to all.

I do not see this.  If  'Apply to All' is checked, the dialogue with options for 'Skip', etc. should not reappear.  If you still see it, please confirm that you have the latest version of MC 11 and whether or not you see it if 'Skip' and 'Apply to all' are selected.

Thanks,

Steve

bebop

« Reply #148 on: October 02, 2004, 06:17:21 pm »

Hey there Steve, just upgraded to MC 11, and it doesn't even see my Zen...am I doing something wrong?   I had the old plugin for MC 10 at first, but it hung up the system, so uninstalled that plug in (although it accurately saw the Zen, just wouldn't open the tree - just hung everything) as advised in the thread .  Uninstalled 11, reinstalled the newest version  11.0.93 and no plugin for the Zen appeared.   there is one for Portable drives and one for the WMDM's.  What did I do wrong?   ?

bebop

« Reply #149 on: October 02, 2004, 07:48:20 pm »

Ok, did the uninstall, reinstall thing about 12 times and still no go...if there's something I'm missing here....is there a post of the plugin that I have somehow missed?   Am willing to shell out my cash as soon as I get the Zen up and running.... :-\

Listening to: 'You Don't Have To Cry' from 'Hawaiian Kine' by 'Yasmeen & Justin' on Media Center 11
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up