INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Touch sensitive screens  (Read 4056 times)

TimB

• Citizen of the Universe
Touch sensitive screens
« on: April 19, 2004, 10:07:21 pm »

I'm toying with the idea of a PC in my living room connected to my PC in the basement that has the MP3s and APEs using Media Center (not Media Server) via 802.11x.

What might be really cool is controlling it with a touch sensitive LCD monitor in Theater Mode.

Anyone tried this or have thoughts and/or recommendations for a good lower price touchsensitive screen?

-=Tim=-
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re:Touch sensitive screens
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2004, 08:11:51 am »

There is a lot of information about the touch screen technology and products in the Elo TouchSystems website www.elotouch.com.

Elo pioneered the touch screen technology and they are mainly focused on professional applications. Probably there are cheaper alternatives, but it's good to have some background knowledge before making a buy decision.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

paulr

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2004, 12:22:39 am »

I was planning on building a "Carputer" to install in my car, with a 7" touchscreen for control..  That is until I decided that the heat here in Texas would probably kill any computer components I installed inside my car...

However, there's lots of information about small touch screen monitors available from the sites I was using for research.

For instance:  http://www.mp3car.com/

Of course, you might be wanting a larger monitor, but you can probably find a lot of info here... You can also find a lot of info if you google for carputer.

pipsqueak

• "Actually, it's elementary, my dear Dawson!"
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2004, 10:08:56 pm »

ive been toying with the idea of touch screens, but they seem very expensive. i didnt look long but didnt find much under $700 (thats for a 12" or 14").

Does anyone know of any much cheaper options (smaller - 10" ish would be okay)

paulr

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2004, 02:58:50 am »

I haven't seen any 14" TFT displays for a reasonable price lately, but eBay had a bunch of smaller ones a while back.  I just did a check there a minute ago and it seems all they have now are 7 and 8".  Might want to check there every few days and see if anything pops up.

I wonder how difficult it would be to hack an old laptop screen and use it for that purpose?
Pages: [1]   Go Up