INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Time & video playback  (Read 1501 times)

Madcow

• World Citizen
  • moo!
Time & video playback
« on: April 18, 2004, 10:46:19 am »

Although I've used MC for music and image cataloguing for a while, I've never used it as my main video player.  I thought I'd try it out and, well, it seems a little basic.

When watching videos in full-screen mode, I can't see any way to find out either how long the video I'm watching is, or how far through it I am.  All I get is an unmarked horizontal bar at the top of the screen with a pointer on.  This makes it rather difficult to restart something in the right place if I need to stop it and start again - and I can't even see how long I have left.

Have I missed something blindingly obvious?

pipsqueak

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "Actually, it's elementary, my dear Dawson!"
Re:Time & video playback
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2004, 11:49:50 am »

Madcow

If your viewing the video in full screen, thats all you see. You can always toggle back to the mega view which does display the time left (as it would on an audio file).

Madcow

• World Citizen
  • moo!
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2004, 01:14:03 pm »

Seems like a bit of an oversight to me.

Is there any chance of requesting this as an enhancement to MC in whatever the next version turns out to be?

IlPadrino

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2004, 03:23:26 pm »

Yes...  I think this is an oversight.  MC isn't the slickest full-screen interface (monitor or TV) out there.  Just last night, I was trying to replace the transport images (the ones you see in full-screen when you move the mouse).  I thought the file was BarImages.png, but it doesn't appear to be the one.  Maybe the images are stored internally?

In any event, I think MC would be much better if we were able to modify the transports that are available (including adding a digital progress indicator).  I'd think it's a pretty easy thing to "skin", but for now we don't have the option.

Maybe next version?

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2004, 10:52:47 am »

Hi Madcow;

I agree with you, MC is rather basic when in video / DVD / TV modes.

I wish there were a lot more features available as there is in the ATI A-I-W video cards and in Zoom Player, such as...

* Mouse control similar to what ZOOM Player allows where I can configure the mouse to do all sorts of things.

* Use the Mouse Scroll wheel to change the size of the whole image similar to what ZOOM Player allows.  This is one very nice feature where I can use the mouse to increase the size (zoom in) of a widescreen DVD or TV image to fit the height of my screen.  As the far right & far left of a widescreen image usually does not contain a lot of useful image I just zoom it off the screen thereby making the image larger to fit the height of my screen.  If there is useful information on the far left or far right I simply scroll the mouse to make it fit (zoom out).  Works great.

* The ability to zoom in (or magnify) on any part of the screen by drawing a rectangle around the object with the mouse like the ATI A-I-W video cards allows me to do.  NOTE: This is different then the zoom mentioned above.

* A un-zoom key to restore the screen back to normal.

Oh well, maybe in version 11, huh ?
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

Madcow

• World Citizen
  • moo!
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2004, 01:12:45 pm »

It would be nice to see video playback concentrated on in the next version, in much the way that Hairstyle got a makeover at the start of development of version 10.  Despite loving MC dearly, I still use Windows Media Player (hack, spit) for video watching and that seems a shame.

Anyway, one for the developers to consider.  I'm sure they have a lot of competing priorities.

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2004, 02:08:50 pm »

Same here.

That is why I still use Zoom Player for DVD viewing... it simply blows everything else away with its rich feature set for video.
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

Sauzee

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2004, 08:26:26 pm »

Yup, I still use Windows Media Player for video playback as well, though I use MC to catalogue video files.

I'd love to see some enhancements in the video playback area.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2004, 11:16:56 am »

Add my vote for a 'video' overhaul.

How 'bout we start with the ability to import and catalog DVD rips (VOB files).  And no, it does not work.  I know there were a couple builds that said importing VOB files was implemented, but it has never worked for me.
pretend this is something funny

pipsqueak

• "Actually, it's elementary, my dear Dawson!"
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2004, 12:53:37 pm »

i use MC for nearly everything, but occasionally have to switch to WinDVD when MC's playing up.

Justin's right about the .vob files though. even though its possible to import the files they come up as multiple entries with the red x's so when you run an update they get removed..

id really love to see something done about this...

pip

[edit - oh and ive finally worked out how to use my own webspace so i can finally start to change my avatars...]

Pages: [1]   Go Up