INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't rip without losing playlist info  (Read 1230 times)

KellerDH

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Can't rip without losing playlist info
« on: November 18, 2002, 11:19:13 am »

I manage my audio cd's with MediaJukebox prior to ripping them.  This means that I have a bunch of playlist information stored for each track which is lost when I rip the files to mp3 or whatever.   It seems that files that have already been ripped and imported can then be "converted," and this retains the playlist information ... but this doesn't work when converting directly from the audio cd's.

Interestingly, I tried importing my audio cd tracks in cda format and then converting, but this only gets mysteriously hung up and must be Cancelled.  Odd.

Any help?

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
Re: Can't "convert" from Audio CDs to ape or mp3
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2002, 11:36:24 am »

> "Ripping" from an audio cd does NOT retain it

Thats why you use the YADB service. Are you saying it's not saving the info (as tag info) after the lookup and the rip/encode?

> as a pop-up window allows me to hit the "Start" button ... but nothing happens

You do have a New Format selected...don't you? If you cancel then it starts? I assume you put a check in box next to the track title on a CD rip.

Post your sys info from Help>System Info

10-27

KellerDH

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Ok ... I completely overhauled my original topic.
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2002, 03:17:06 pm »

Thank you for the reply.  You've made me rethink the wording of my topic, and I hope this answers your questions a bit.  I made the mistake of mentioning "tags" when I really meant "playlists."  I also didn't make clear that I was attempting a conversion to audio cd files that I had imported into the database; files that are on the audio cd can be converted, of course.  But this still leaves my original problem of losing the playlist info.

xen-uno

Re: Can't rip without losing playlist info
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2002, 04:01:42 pm »

> But this still leaves my original problem of losing the playlist info.

Do you mean the actual tracks as specified in the list OR the info associated with the CD tracks?

The latter occurs because the CD tracks don't really have a human readable track name and of course, you can't save info to the original Read Only CD tracks. Shorthand...the info exists in the database only. When you rip/encode, the info from MJ does not transfer over. The former may be happening for the same reason...the filename changes (after rip/encode) which invalidates the playlist.

10-27

KellerDH

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Well ...
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2002, 04:07:39 pm »

I know that the playlist info only exists within the MJ environment, but so do the tags.  I mean, if the tag info that I create by downloading from CDDB carries forward and gets plugged into the tag of the converted file ... then why doesn't the same apply for all the playlist info that I create for the same tracks?  BOTH exist only within the db.

rocketsauce

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2002, 05:04:44 pm »

I tried importing my audio cd tracks in cda format...

You can't really think of .cda as a format in the same way that .wav or .mp3 is a format.  It is really more like a place holder that Windows uses to represent the presence of audio data on a cd.  You can't convert it from a cd in the same way that you can convert from one format to another.  That's why when you select tracks on a cd and choose convert rather than rip, nothing happens.

Also, I know it's just semantics, but you seem to be kind of using convert (from one format to another) and rip (extracting audio data from a cd) interchangeably, when they are really two different processes.  There are a few times you used convert, but I think you actually meant rip.  No biggie, it was just a little confusing at first.  :)

Also, not quite sure what you mean by "playlist info".  Do you mean that you are creating playlists that point to different tracks on various cds?  Or are you adding additional info in the properties beyond just the basics (artist, album, track, year, genre)?

I know that if I add info to a cds properties in any of the "non-standard" fields (custom1, notes, lyrics, etc), none of that info gets transferred to the resulting files when I rip the cd.  Why MJ can only carry over some of the info and not all of it during ripping, I don't know, maybe someone from JRiver can answer that.

Rob

xen-uno

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2002, 07:38:15 pm »

So...you can retain your playlist(s) in the following way....

Rip/Encode your CD(s)
In the tree view expand the Playlists
Right click on the Playlists heading and select Add Playlists - give it a name
Click on the Recently Imported playlist - you should see all your rips there
Right click on the Recently Imported heading and select Send To>Playlist>your new playlist

That's all there is to it

10-27
Pages: [1]   Go Up