INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Importing playlists without duplicating files  (Read 1535 times)

Richard Berg

• Junior Woodchuck
  • .sigs are lame
Importing playlists without duplicating files
« on: April 10, 2004, 11:01:43 pm »

We seem to have determined in another thread that it's currently impossible to import playlists (externally usable -- m3u, html, etc) without having the files they point to be duplicated, because MC doesn't recognize the directory references as being the same.

Some ways I've thought of to avoid it:
- allow users to de-select subdirectories during import (JRiver)
- allow users to disable m3u-referee importing entirely (JRiver)
- move my playlist dirs out of the import path, delete the database, and recreate (user)
- draft a search script to find duplicates, occasionally run and delete its contents (user)

The user options don't seem very satisfying.  Ideas?  

(I'm actually not sure of the rationale behind parsing playlists during import.  Is there anyone out there who points the library to playlists but NOT the binaries?  If so, wouldn't people who care about playlists in such a way be likely to run into the duplicates problem anyway?)

Richard Berg

• Junior Woodchuck
  • .sigs are lame
Re:Importing playlists without duplicating files
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2004, 12:40:36 am »

Bump.

Richard Berg

• Junior Woodchuck
  • .sigs are lame
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2004, 03:22:06 pm »

for great justice

SomeOneWho

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2004, 06:39:19 pm »

Richard,

There is a way to eliminate duplicates in a playlist ex post facto: right-click on a playlist in the tree view and select the Remove Duplicates menu option.

That said, duplicates on import is also a minor annoyance for me because I prefer to keep copies of my m3u files in the same directory as my mp3 files.  Relatedly, it would also be very handy to avoid introducing duplicates when adding entries to playlists with Send To, drag-and-drop, etc.  This happens to me quite frequently as I build different playlists from combinations of other playlists.

My suggestion for an enhancement is to add a new yes/no configuration setting called "Prevent Duplicates in Playlists" that would work both when importing playlists as well as when adding entries to playlists.

Another related enhancement I'd love to have is to be able to *move* entries between playlists, not just copy them.  Something like holding down the right mouse button when doing drag-and-drop in Windows (a menu pops-up asking if you want to copy or move the item(s)).

Regards...
Pages: [1]   Go Up