INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Truncating file name after import  (Read 2121 times)

groovedaddy

• Recent member
  • Stay still so I can hack your arm off...
Truncating file name after import
« on: April 27, 2004, 03:42:24 pm »

I just installed the newest build (10.0.123) and something new seems to be happening. When I import music from a file into MC, it truncates the actual file name (e.g., YOURDI~1), but tries to recognize it internally by the name I originally saved it as. It then tags it as "file not found"

A similar thing happens when I rename files from properties.

I don't remember this happening with my earlier version of MC10. Is this a bug or did I change a setting without realizing it?

Media Center Registered 10.0.123 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

Microsoft Windows Me
Intel Pentium III 996 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 141 MB
Resource Info: System - 38 %, GDI - 63 %, User - 38 %

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.81 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1400 / Shell32.dll: 5.50.4134.100 / wnaspi32.dll: 2, 0, 0, 0 , ASPI for WIN32 DLL, Copyright © Adaptec 1995 / Aspi32.sys: N/A

Ripping /   Drive E: _NEC    DV-5700A          Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive F:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: Yes  Soundfile:   C:\WINDOWS\MEDIA\Sounds\hillbillies - wheedoggy.wav

Burning /  Drive F: LG       CD-RW CED-8080B    Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:8  MaxSpeed:8  BurnProof:No
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: Yes /  Normalization: None

Thanks for the help out there.

GDaddy
Still partying like it's 999.

LTE

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
Re:Truncating file name after import
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2004, 07:48:01 pm »

I'm having the same problem, and evidently we aren't the only ones.  I also am using Windows ME and have a 1 ghz PIII.

see http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=21054

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2004, 09:55:52 pm »

I haven't seen truncation...but I have seen weirdness that could be related.

I have a file called...

Alice in Chains - Jar of Flies - 05 - Whale & Wasp.flac

For some reason it wasn't showing up correctly in the library (forgot exact reason), so I deleted it from the library. Now...it will not import under any conditions with that filename.

I have since renamed it...

Alice in Chains - Jar of Flies - 05 - Whale & Wasp (orig).flac

Lo & behold, it imported fine. Short answer is that my library is (very) mildly corrupted...and brothers...yours is probably too. You may have to bite the bullet and create a fresh library (export all your playlists and copy down all your smartlists/view schemes...and back up your library in case it is not corrupted). Possibly one of the Library functions could correct it as well (such as Update).

10-27

PS: I'm running W2k (vs Millen Ed which is held in low regard by computer users worldwide)

edbro

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2004, 11:32:57 pm »

I've mentioned that it has happened several times to me when analyzing for replay gain. I was starting to think I was the only one. I even provided screen shots. I got filenames that looked exactly like yours.

paulr

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2004, 11:59:53 pm »

It appears to be a problem with long file names.  The short names with the tilde are the short versions that are kept around for software compatibility...  In Windows XP, with the NTFS file system, you can disable this behavior.

In Windows ME, I think you can disable long file names (not sure why you would want to)...  Have you installed any software recently that makes any changes to your file system?

groovedaddy

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2004, 05:17:24 am »

Have you installed any software recently that makes any changes to your file system?
paulr,
Not that I'm aware of. But seeing that others are being affected in a similar way makes me doubtful that it's an OS problem. Any thoughts from the good folks at JRiver?

Short answer is that my library is (very) mildly corrupted...and brothers...yours is probably too. You may have to bite the bullet and create a fresh library
xen-uno,
Yipes. Any thoughts how a library gets mildly corrupted? Did it accept some hush money in exchange for allowing some Winger and Motley Crue songs? I've told it to just keep quiet and let me have a couple guilty pleasures, but now I see I've been a bad influence  ;D

PS: I'm running W2k (vs Millen Ed which is held in low regard by computer users worldwide)
I even hold it in low regard. As soon as I stop buying music and paying off the latest MC upgrade, I'm saving up to buy good ole XP.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2004, 09:04:30 am »

There's a build going up now that fixes this.

Sorry for the hassles.  You'll need to use "Rename Files From Properties..." to fix it.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

groovedaddy

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2004, 10:26:07 am »

There's a build going up now that fixes this.

Matt,
No sweat. That's what I love about this group - have a problem and its taken care of.

Many thanks
GDaddy
Pages: [1]   Go Up