INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is MC incapable of Rading Vob files  (Read 2625 times)

Scarpad

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
Is MC incapable of Rading Vob files
« on: April 29, 2004, 11:35:53 pm »

I was starting to set up some video files. I'm using the server mainly to serve TV Episodes so here's what I'm doing. I'm ripping the entire disk to the HD with DVD Decryptor. Then I'm using DVD Shrink to Reauthor one episode down to 65% in it's own folder and Video_TS directory.

I tried importing the vob files with no luck. Can MC support the playing of DVD's from the Hard drive without spending hours to Convert it to Divx.

Rizlaw

• Galactic Citizen
Re:Is MC incapable of Rading Vob files
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2004, 07:05:37 am »

I was starting to set up some video files. I'm using the server mainly to serve TV Episodes so here's what I'm doing. I'm ripping the entire disk to the HD with DVD Decryptor. Then I'm using DVD Shrink to Reauthor one episode down to 65% in it's own folder and Video_TS directory.

I tried importing the vob files with no luck. Can MC support the playing of DVD's from the Hard drive without spending hours to Convert it to Divx.

Scarpad,

I have never had much luck with this either, on multiple XP Pro computers. However, that said, and having read many posts on this subject, it seems many users have been able to do it successfully.

As I understand it, the basic steps for success are:

1. You must have a software dvd player installed (TheaterTek, PowerDVD, WinDVD, etc);

2. You must rip the entire file structure of the dvd to your hard disc with something like DVD Decrypter (Smartripper, works too) using File Mode with "all files" set;

3. All the files must be copied to a hard disc folder structure like: C:\MOVIE NAME\VIDEO_TS. All caps for the "VIDEO_TS" subfolder is important. By default, Decrypter does this automatically;

4. Make sure that in MC10 your "file associations" (TOOLS > OPTIONS > FILE ASSOCIATIONS ) have "DVD Video" checked, along with all the other files you want to associate with MC10.

Using DVD Shrink Reauthor mode should not have any effect on your ability to read the files in MC10 provided you set Shrink to place the new compressed version of the movie into the correct folder structure noted in step 3 above. Shrink Reauthor mode creates new VOBs, IFOs and BUP files - which are the files needed to play the movie.

In MC10 you should be able to navigate to "Drives & Devices > My Computer > drive letter > movie VIDEO_TS folder" then click and have MC10 play the movie after it gathers the necessary info.

I'm sure others on the Forum will add to what I'v said.
Ubuntu Gnome 20.04 LTS

Scarpad

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2004, 08:19:41 am »

I have Zoomplayer installed which worked fine when I was using Divx files, I do have WinDVD I could install if I have to.

Do I have to go down to devices to play them? I wanted to be able to go to Video and Click on a thumbnail like I did for the Divx files, is this not possible when it's ripped as a DVDVideo?

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2004, 08:31:28 am »

Simply changing the extension from *.vob to *.mpeg will fix import problem.

Scarpad

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2004, 10:56:37 am »

Simply changing the extension from *.vob to *.mpeg will fix import problem.

Do you have to make this change to all the vobs in the VIDEO_TS directory or only the first one ?

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2004, 11:47:00 am »

Good question...if you change the first then you probably have to change the rest...but then the question is will it play Chapter2.mpeg seamlessly after Chapter1.mpeg ends (in other words...move chapter to chapter automatically like vob's do).

It hasn't been a problem for me, though. See FileMerger here...

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=20143;start=msg140112#msg140112

10-27
Pages: [1]   Go Up