INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How Do I transfer Media Center to a new computer?  (Read 2965 times)

snapperocks

• World Citizen
How Do I transfer Media Center to a new computer?
« on: April 29, 2004, 04:52:03 am »

Hi  :)
In the very near future I plan to buy a new computer with XP as the OS instead of the scary ME I currently use. I am a registered user of MC10.0.114

I'm hoping you can direct me to a thread that will give me detailed instructions on how to do the transfer without any hiccups glitchs or sneezes. I love MC and can't wait to have it playing on this new machine.

Currently listening to "I'm Mandy, Fly Me by the brilliant 10cc.  :)
Thanks Heaps
snapperocks  :)  
nlc

Rizlaw

• Galactic Citizen
Re:How Do I transfer Media Center to a new computer?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2004, 08:23:11 am »

You can't transfer MC10 itself. However, you could experiment and try "Aloha Bob's PC Relocator" at www.alohabob.com or www.eisenworld.com, or:

Assuming all of your music is in a folder on your C drive:

1. Open MC10 on your existing computer and make a backup of your music database: FILE > LIBRARY > BACKUP LIBRARY. This will create a filename something like this: MC Library Backup (Default - x-x-2004).zip in MC10's backup folder.

2. Copy the resulting backup file which is located in: C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\Data\Backups to a CDR/DVDR.

3. Copy all of your cover art from: C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\Data\Cover Art to the same CDR/DVDR.

4. Copy all of your music files, with their folder structure, from their location on your C drive to CDR/DVDR. Make sure to note this location (i.e. C:\MUSIC).

5. Install MC10 on your new PC by downloading the latest version from the Forum.  Then open IE6 and go to: https://rover.jriver.com/cgi-bin/restore.cgi and enter your registration code to reactivate the MC10 license.

6. From your CD/DVD copy the database backup file to: C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\Data\Backups on your new PC.

7. From your CD/DVD copy the cover art files back to: C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\Data\Cover Art on your new PC.

8. From your CD/DVD copy all your music back to the exact same location on your new PC.

9. Open MC10 and click on: FILE > LIBRARY > RESTORE LIBRARY and select the MC Library Backup (Default - x-x-2004).zip file.

10. You should now be done.

I hope this helps.

Ubuntu Gnome 20.04 LTS

enigman

• Junior Woodchuck
  • thinking...
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2004, 08:55:35 am »

If you need to relocate your media files to a different path (say on a different drive or partition from your original computer) you can also use MC's find and replace feature to search for all instances of "c:\music" and replace them with "d:\MyMusic".  I did this without any major problems when I installed a new drive on my PC and wanted to move all of my audio files over to it.

--Tim

snapperocks

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2004, 05:19:36 pm »

Thanks Guys for your concise directions, particularly Rizlaw, thats just what I wanted.
snapperocks  :)
nlc
Pages: [1]   Go Up