INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Remote connection to MC  (Read 835 times)

cascius

• Galactic Citizen
Remote connection to MC
« on: April 29, 2004, 04:15:42 am »

hi guys,

a friend of mine is trying to connect to my MC server over the net and i'm not sure which IP to give him. I'm on a wireless network and my computer address is 192.168.2.xxx but when i look it up over the web i get: 64.160.xx.xx

I'm guessing that 64.160.xx.xx is the address of the router and 192.168.2.xxx is the local comp address.

So what address should he look for?

rhom

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
Re:Remote connection to MC
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2004, 05:51:46 am »

it would be the 64 address as thats the external one, the 192.168.x.x is a non-routable internal address (like 10.x.x.x).  just make sure that you've setup the port mc listens to on your router/firewall so that it routes that port to your machine.

ie your friend connects to your router on port 80 but if your router hasn't been told what to do with port 80 then it will either just ignore the packet or reject it.

what you need to do is tell your router that if a packet comes in on port 80 then it should forward it on to your machines internal (192.168.x.x) address and what port (80).

if you look up NAT or PAT in your routers manual it should explain in detail how to go about creating the appropriate entries.
Pages: [1]   Go Up