INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No sound for DVD playback  (Read 1729 times)

Magicland

• World Citizen
  • Gabba Gabba Hey!
No sound for DVD playback
« on: April 11, 2004, 01:52:22 am »

I'm using the release version of MC10, and when I attempt to play a DVD, I don't get any audio. The audio works fine if I play the DVD from WinDVD5. The DVD filter listings are:
audio renderer for MJ
video renderer
ac3 filter
overlay mixer
nero mpeg video decoder
dvd navigator
No matter what sound device I choose, it doesn't make any difference. If I try and show audio decoder properties it says "Unable to show audio DVD decoder properties. If a DVD is currently playing, try stopping playback and then go to Tools/Options/Playback Settings and click on the DVD playback button to show audio decoder properties", which is of course where I am and what I did.

gpvillamil

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Listen to the music...
Re:No sound for DVD playback
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2004, 06:53:33 am »

Try installing the AC3 filter from http://ac3filter.sourceforge.net/

I found it to perform better than the WinDVD audio codecs, which in any case don't seem to be installed for you.

Magicland

• World Citizen
  • Gabba Gabba Hey!
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2004, 12:12:57 am »

I'm pretty sure that's the AC3 filter already installed. Doesn't matter, downloaded, installed, and still no audio. Obviously I have everything installed that I need if WinDVD can play the audio, just for some reason MC isn't either seeing it or using it. Now if I play the mpeg ripped from the DVD, MC plays it just fine (says something about DirectX playing).

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2004, 09:28:42 am »

Does Windows Media Player have the same problem? If so, it looks like the "merit" setting on the WinDVD filters is too low so MC (and WMP) are building the playback graph with other filters. There was another thread on the topic of adjusting the merit of different installed DVD filters.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Datalux

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2004, 07:46:54 pm »

Originally posted on the AVS forums
I have been having the following problems with Media Center 9.1 & 10b.:

1. Cannot get ASIO to work. When I select ASIO for playback and Prodigy 7.1 ASIO 2.0 as the device, Media Center gives me an error and suggests checking bitrate, device, sample rate. I have no problem using ASIO with Winamp 5 with the same .WMA (192) files and CD's.

2. When selecting a DVD for playback, I also get an error and a message about the audio stream not starting. I am unable to select filters in the settings drop box. But the properties box shows it is using ReClock as the audio renderer and Sonic as the video renderer.

3. All other features of Media Center work fine (Directsound/ Waveout). I have had the same problems with the Nvidia2 on board SoundStorm, the Chaintech AV-710 (also flashed bios to Prodigy 7.1) and my brand new Prodigy 7.1 from AudioTrak.

Setup:

Epox RD8A+ Mobo, AMD XP2100, Corsair 256mb
Windows 2000 Pro
TheaterTek
120GB WD

Any thoughts would be helpful...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A fix that affected ASIO on some sound cards was in a build a couple weeks ago.

If you haven't done so, please post on Interact, stating the version you're using. You can copy your system info from MC Help and paste it there.

For DVD, please post in this thread:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/ind...;threadid=20579

Media Center Registered 10.0.110 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows 2000  Workstation 5.0 Service Pack 4 (Build 2195)
AMD Athlon 1737 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 261 MB, Free - 109 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.81 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1400 / Shell32.dll: 5.00.3700.6705 / wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0002) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.71 (0002)

Ripping /   Drive D: TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-M1712  Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: No /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  No burners found.
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

Error message when attempting DVD playback:
*1 out of 3 DVD-Video streams failed to render properly
-audio stream

Magicland

• World Citizen
  • Gabba Gabba Hey!
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2004, 09:50:47 pm »

This is getting very strange. Windows Media Player also isn't playing any sound. I put my Two Towers DVD into the drive, and both played it fine, complete WITH sound (the previous DVD was one I'd burned myself with Nero, of different material, so it isn't some sort of copy protection thing preventing the sound from playing). Why would the store-bought DVD play sound, yet the burned DVD wouldn't (Especially since BOTH play just fine in WinDVD WITH sound)? The MPEG files which I burned onto the DVD play fine in MC, WITH sound, so it isn't a problem with the source material, and the burned DVD plays fine in my stand-alone DVD player, or on the computer with WinDVD, but not with MC or WMP. I realize at this point this probably isn't strictly an MC problem, but it doesn't make any sense to me, one way or the other...

Magicland

• World Citizen
  • Gabba Gabba Hey!
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2004, 12:43:01 am »

Well, I finally solved this problem, so I figured I'd post what the solution was (for me anyway) in case anyone else has the same problem. I keyed on WMP not playing sound either, as MC seems to use some aspects of that to play DVD's. Hunted around a bit, and finally decided to re-install the default codecs (re-installing WMP was my next option, but I didn't need to do it). http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/download/default.asp has a few codec links. I installed the first and third one, just to be on the save side, though the first one probably solved the problem. While the codecs were installed, WMP didn't seem to think so. After re-installing them, everything worked fine, and now MC displays info under DVD audio decoder properties (before it didn't show anything). Don't know what originally caused the problem, but that's what fixed it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up