INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My USB-UIRT and Girder experience  (Read 957 times)

Mysticeti

• World Citizen
  • music, SCUBA, movies, VR, multimedia, PCs
My USB-UIRT and Girder experience
« on: May 03, 2004, 05:04:34 pm »

I was going to post this info here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=12365
but that thread has been hijacked a couple times and I thought starting a fresh topic might be a good idea.

My primary goal was to be able to control basic JRiver Media Center playback operations using the universal remote I use for my AV system.  Controlling other apps and other aspects of Media Center is a secondary goal.

• So I ordered USB-UIRT.
  • I installed Girder while I waited for the USB-UIRT to ship
  • USB-UIRT took a little over week to arrive and came with instructions for downloading the drivers off the web (http://usbuirt.com/getstart.htm).  Installation & setup instructions are on the same page including the important steps of
    • Copying the USBUIRT.DLL plug in to Girder's plug in directory.
    • (Re)starting Girder (exit completely first)
    • Going to Girder's "Settings..." menu (under "File...")
    • Clicking on the "Plugins" tab (if necessary)
    • Enabling the USB-UIRT plug-in.
    • While not in the USB-UIRT instructions, this is a good time to also enable Girder's "SendMessage" plug-in.
  • In Girder, use "Import Group..." (under "File...") to import the MC9_131_USBUIRT.gml file located in C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\Data\Extras\Girder (or where ever you installed MC).
  • Expand the MC tree in Girder and learn the functions you want your remote to control. For me it was mostly the transport functions: Pause/Play, Next, Prev., Stop, etc.
  • YMMV but I had to tweak somethings to keep duplicate messages from being sent.  I was hitting "Next" on the remote once and MC was advancing two tracks.  Adding a 200ms delay helped as did tweaking the remote.
Now that I've come this far I want to satisfy my secondary goals:
  • I want MC to start up when the power button on the remote is pressed
  • I want to be able to navigate my playlists using the Up/Down/Left/Right buttons on the remote.
I'll look into this soon but if anyone has already done this and can save me some time...
"And the men who hold high places. Must be the ones who start... to mold a new reality. Closer to the Heart."

mjcumming

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
Re:My USB-UIRT and Girder experience
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2004, 07:43:12 pm »

Please hop over to www.girder.nl for help if you need it.

Mike

Mysticeti

• World Citizen
  • music, SCUBA, movies, VR, multimedia, PCs
Re:My USB-UIRT and Girder experience
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2004, 07:54:47 pm »

Thanks Mike.

Sometimes it's best to ask Girder folk about MC and sometimes it's best to ask MC folk about Girder.

I'm really not sure which case this is.  Perhaps I should ask in both locations.

"And the men who hold high places. Must be the ones who start... to mold a new reality. Closer to the Heart."
Pages: [1]   Go Up