INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC can't import playlists  (Read 1857 times)

mrviola

• Recent member
  • Don't worry..., Be Happy...
MC can't import playlists
« on: May 02, 2004, 01:19:01 pm »

Is it possible to build a import button in the next update of MC10 to import any playlists. I had made playlists form foldername ARTIST/ALBUM and then the m3u-file, it can import the m3u-file but it add a recent imported playlist but no groupnames nothing, and have to move the recent imported playlist one by one to the playlist itselfand then make the groupnames again, now i have to make the hole playlist from stratch again.

In MC10 is possible to export all playlists and it create folders ARTIST/ALBUM and then the m3u-files but to bad there is no import button to get the same playlists and groups.
MC10 is the best program and use it for many years but this problem is never solved.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re:MC can't import playlists
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2004, 02:38:42 pm »

I'm not quite sure what you mean with your question. I wrote the following recently in another thread, but maybe you mean something different:

If your old .m3u files are without path information, then they must be in the same folder with your music files before importing to MC. Afterwards you can change the location of your music files by MC and all internal playlists are kept up-to-date.

If there is path information in the .m3u file, it must be correct.

MC reads information from .m3u files and makes internal playlists based on that information.

for example:

Winamp .m3u without path (playlist in the same folder):
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:-1,The Art of Noise - Love
Art of Noise - Draft - 01 - Love.mp3
#EXTINF:-2,   ...etc

Winamp .m3u with path (playlist not in the same folder)
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:-1,The Art of Noise - Love
D:\Music\Art of Noise\Draft\Art of Noise - Draft - 01 - Love.mp3
#EXTINF:-2,   ...etc
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

mrviola

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2004, 12:41:53 pm »

Under the menu file is a option 'export playlist' or 'export all playlists'
This means you can export the hole playlist and MC make the folders for ARTIST and then the folder ALBUM in this folder MC place a m3u-file with no folder information If there is a export funtion build in MC why not a import funtion as well, this is a very good backup system to save the playlists inclusive the playlist-groups.
So my question is why MC can export but no import the same exportlist.

If i place the m3u-files direct under the folder where my music-file are then i see only the albums with random artistnames it is a mess, for now export all playlist in MC has no funtion at all, you can do nothing with it.
I hope it explain what i mean with it.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2004, 01:35:39 pm »

To import a playlist, drop it on the root of Media Library from an external Explorer.

Then check under Playlists\Imported Playlists in the tree.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mrviola

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2004, 10:32:11 am »

This isn't what i looking for, i wil say this try it on your computer to export all playlists and then try it to import. MC making this playlist directory tree in the first place but do not import it at all. What you get is albumnames without the artist name or with the first artist it can find from many different other artists. Let say this, i have a groupname Enimga with in this group 5 albums and if you export the playlist you get something like this c:\mediacenter\data\playlist\enigma\album\file.m3u. If you import the m3u-file then you see only the albumname and no artist then i have still to make the groupplaylist with the name Enigma to put the album in it. But there are albums with assorted artists on it and then you see a playlist enigma - The Heeling [CD2], but this album is not from enigma so MC is not responding on the information of the treelist and not handeling correct the m3u-files.

So i will ask you why is this funtion build in if MC does nothing with the map-structure in the first place, while if you export all playlist then MC make this directory structure.
I have tryed with other methodes but wil not work with playlist-groups. To export the library yes this works fine, but if you want MC as a kind of jukebox in theaterview then you have to work in the library under location then drive and the albums then the text goes out of the screen, so i maked playgroups with artistnames and then in these groups the albums. But it never imported after i reinstall the new mc10 version, every thing i had to rebuild the hole playlist groups of artist and then the albums in it. THIS option is NOT yet build-in MC to restore the hole playlist.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2004, 12:55:29 pm »

A file's tags should have all the information about the file like artist and album.  The playlist should not need to store that info.

However, if you want file info in the playlist, export to MPL instead of M3U.

mrviola

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2004, 06:12:35 pm »

Yes it is a possebility but then rise the next problem, it is not possible in MC more then one playlist at the time to export to this file. So i have to make this over a thousend time again one by one. By import playlists it wil be place in the map of inported playlist, also here you can only select one by one item at the time, I already tryed this.

Do you not agree that the backup system for all the work that is done in making playlist, playlistgroups not working.

So the question stays the same, why is there a export funtion made in MC for playlists and playlistgroups wile it not accept for proper import, this is the only minnuspoint that MC has, further it is absolute a winner.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2004, 06:44:33 pm »

Use backup library to backup your library and all playlists.

If you actually have 1000's of playlists, you may want to play around with view schemes and the panes, because they may alleviate the need for all those playlists.

mrviola

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2004, 02:07:36 am »

That is just the problem this isn't working, if it was working then i had no problem at all. You wrote
"Use backup library to backup your library and all playlists"
but the problem is it restore the playlistgroups and playlists but without the content, no songs nada, the library is working but the playlists are empty, maybe a undetected bug...

But i have found the solution to make the backup, i make a small batchfile and put it under scheduled task it will copy the file playlistx.jmd and mediafiles.jmd to a save location and works fine i just tryed it out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up