INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: encoding APE is slow  (Read 675 times)

Buddy213

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
encoding APE is slow
« on: May 07, 2004, 09:05:31 pm »

Last night I began the process of ripping my 300+ CD collection.  My plan is to rip to .ape, and then reencode to 128k mp3 which will be used for the car & streaming.  I only finished 2 albums last night, because it took soooo long.  Is it supposed to be this slow?  Are there other ape ripping possibilities that arent as slow?

I am using MC 10 and the ripping was happening at a '1.4x' speed.  The APE quality setting was "Normal".   An album with 45 minutes of listening pleasure, took 30 minutes to rip.   Any ideas?

paulr

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
Re:encoding APE is slow
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2004, 10:48:54 pm »

Using Secure Mode, with ripping speed set to max, I get anywhere from 4x to 9.5x (depending on where the song is on the disk) encoding directly to APE (Normal).  Normally, a disc takes me about 10 minutes to rip.

What are your settings, what type of drive do you have, and what is your CPU?  Does it rip faster when you rip to WAV instead?

Buddy213

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
Re:encoding APE is slow
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2004, 12:02:23 am »

ahhh... it was because I was using one machine to rip and trying to put the .ape files on a network drive (HTPC).  The HTPC doesnt have good output on the TV to use MC 10, so I was using the machine in the bedroom to do the dirty work.   i didnt think network would be that bad.
I tried a "local" rip, and it took 3.5 minutes, with speeds up to 25x

Cheers
Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up