INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Document Handling in MC11?  (Read 1237 times)

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Document Handling in MC11?
« on: September 28, 2004, 11:35:25 am »

Imported today my home directory into MC11, simply wanted to try out the usefulness of the document handling feature of MC11. Would like some ideas how other forum members make use of it, if used at all, and what features we still need to handle documents properly. So any suggestions or ideas are welcomed.

One of the major challenges is how to tag files that are deep down on a tree without a lot of excess user defined fields.

Example: My Documents\Companies\Customer\Projects\ProjectXYZ\Definition\xyz.doc

This document is 5  level deep in the tree. By using Genre and Album I get tags for just 2 levels. So tagging will become a little difficult if we have too many tree levels.

Did anybody already find some best working solution? I don't want to change my folder structure before having found some good way to handle documents in MC11

One of the drawbacks I found is that some file extensions I have in my home directory are not imported at all, so that I am left with some half imported in MC11 and another half not imported. This makes organizing all my files with MC11 a little bit difficult. I think there should be some way to add file associations and related applications on our own.

IanG

Re:Document Handling in MC11?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2004, 05:32:52 pm »

One of the major challenges is how to tag files that are deep down on a tree without a lot of excess user defined fields.

Example: My Documents\Companies\Customer\Projects\ProjectXYZ\Definition\xyz.doc

This document is 5  level deep in the tree. By using Genre and Album I get tags for just 2 levels. So tagging will become a little difficult if we have too many tree levels.

Sorry, but I've completely missed the point of that.  I use MC all the time to organise my files at work, but I ignore the file location on disk. Instead, I create playlists and playlist groups corresponding to the projects I'm working on.  I also save hyperlinks in those playlists along with the various files.

I think there should be some way to add file associations and related applications on our own.

This has to be a no brainer if MC's going to have any credibility as an office application, even a home office.

Ian G.

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2004, 05:43:38 pm »

Well, I don't use playlists much, I was thinking more of using standard pane view selecting something like Genre>Album>Project. Of course you may create as many user fields as needed, example: Genre>Subgenre>Topic>Project. But that is not what I necessarily want to do.

On the other hand if you want to mix different media types (docs, audio, images, video) you may need to do it with playlists.

How did you import hyperlinks (.url files)?

IanG

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2004, 06:10:09 pm »

On the other hand if you want to mix different media types (docs, audio, images, video) you may need to do it with playlists.

I do have mixed media types, but that wasn't why I chose to use playlists - they just seemed a more intuitive way of grouping files.  Being able to order the files in any way I choose was a big plus - related files don't always have similar filenames.

How did you import hyperlinks (.url files)?

Just drag the address from the browser window into the playlist.  

Ian G.

urlwolf

• World Citizen
  • building gomotron!
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2004, 11:24:57 am »

I use it as a pdf indexer. no problems here.
Pages: [1]   Go Up