INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT: Converting AC3 from a dvd  (Read 958 times)

cascius

• Galactic Citizen
OT: Converting AC3 from a dvd
« on: May 11, 2004, 09:02:27 pm »

Hi guys,

what I'm trying to do is to extract the sound from a dvd into an audio format while still keeping the dolby digital 5.1 channels. I'm pretty sure mp3 is limited to 2 channels only and was wondering what format to use. It preferably should be a lossless format. Let me know if you know how to do this.

For those of you who are curious which dvds I'm talking about, it's "Alegria", from Cirque du soleil. I own both the dvd and the cd and end up always listening to the dvd rather than the cd... It's just better overall sound quality and surround.

Anyway, let me know if you have some tips.

-Cascius

JeffB

• World Citizen
Re:OT: Converting AC3 from a dvd
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2004, 01:32:54 am »

AC3 is already compressed so using a lossless codec will get you nothing but a larger file.  2.1 channel AC3 is 192kbps and 5.1 channel AC3 is 448kbps (<- I think).

http://www.dvddecrypter.com/

You can use DVD Decrypter to rip the desired audio track straight from the  DVD into either a VOB file with only the audio track or an AC3 file.  

Run DVD Decrypter and select 'Mode menu -> IFO.'  Then on the right side select the 'Stream Processing' tab -> tick 'Enable Stream Processing' -> untick all streams except the audio stream you want (usually 0x80).  Then make sure the desired stream is highlighted and look under that window at the box that says 'Stream: 0x80 - Audio' or whatever the stream is called.  'Direct Stream Copy' will make a VOB with only the audio track inside and 'Demux' will make an AC3 file.

cascius

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2004, 01:37:52 am »

Cool, great info! What I ment by lossless was just to keep the same quality as the original AC3.  So I'll try dvddecrypter.

Thanks Jeffb,

-Cascius

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2004, 09:09:57 am »

After you get your AC3 stream, you'll have to consult other guides on how to convert that stream to something MC10 will play...

Check out http://www.doom9.org for more information that you could (or will) want.

Unless someone's come up with a clever way that I don't know about to play AC3 files within MC....  ?

Best,
Brad

JeffB

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2004, 11:30:00 am »

Windows Media Player and Media Player Classic both play VOBs and AC3s, but I never could get MC10 to play them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up