INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playing/Converting Flac files  (Read 2039 times)

Alan_Carpenter

• Recent member
  • Thanks for the help.
Playing/Converting Flac files
« on: July 20, 2003, 09:26:24 pm »

I have some .Flac files.
I have Media Jukebox 8.0.399
It's the one that "Plays them all."
I want to convert my .flac files to .MP3 files.

Hah!

Step one: Try to play them with Media jukeBox.
Result: Failure.

Step Two: (Thinks) I shall go tothe Media Jukebox site, download a .Flac plugin and convert my .Flac files to .MP3

Result: Failure. I cannot find a .Flac plugin.

Step Three: (Thinks) I shall email Media Jukebox support and ask them what to do.

Result: Failure. There is NO email address for support. I'll rephrase that. *I* can't find an email address for support.

Step Four: Consolidate. Media Jukebox is a great program that does great things.  I love it. I can't think of a thing that I would like it to do that it doesn't do. It MUST be able to convert my .Flac files. What now?

Step Five: Search the Media Jukebox message boards for references to .Flac.

Result: Extreme depression. Looks like others have been here, done that, failed. Resort to alcohol.

Step Six: Decide to post this message before sobering up. Hope for help from someone who is not going to mention
http://rarewares.hydrogenaudio.org/lossless.html

Step Seven: Listen to my .Flac files on WinAmp2, and wonder why I spent the money for Media Jukebox. (OK, it was the organisational abilities.)

Step Eight: Wait.

Step Nine: (Thinks) Should I mention that my computer is currently caseless, and my coffee cup is at the moment sitting on the top component which is my CD writer. This means that this message is from a man who is using his CD writer as a coffee cup holder. (This COULD be too much of an in joke to be understood, but I doubt it.)

Step Ten: Stop before I run out of fingers,.

Help.

Cheers,
Alan (Occasionally sober) Carpenter

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Playing/Converting Flac files
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2003, 10:20:09 am »

I don't think your going anyplace with this.

MJ and MC does not support that format
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Alan_Carpenter

• Recent member
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2003, 05:27:28 pm »

Thanks for that info.

It's not often I get ripped off by false advertising, but I guess I'll have to chalk up one more and go look for a better Media player. At least Media Jukebox was better than the Microsoft media Player.

Media Jukebox 8.0.399 - The One That Plays It All - Except .Flac

Cheers,
Alan Carpenter

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2003, 05:38:47 pm »

It's not often I get ripped off by false advertising

how would that be?

all the suported formats are listed, and users have a 30 day trial.

I am sure there are other formats that are not supported.

some users reported that using the winamp plug-in works to some degree.

what would be nice is that users who wish to use this format get the programer of Flac to make a plug-in for MJ\MC

it seems J river wishes to support APE and i assume thats because Matt is the programer for it.

it would be nice at a min if there was a way to convert a Flac file to wav or even better Ape.

it seems that they are providing the tools for others to make this appen but they will not be doing it.

if i was a "C" programer i would build a converter, but i am not up to that level.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Alan_Carpenter

• Recent member
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2003, 08:04:41 pm »

You're right.  I shouldn't have used the term "ripped off", because all the other features make MJ most definitely worth the money I paid.

However, one factor in my choosing MJ over others was their statement, "The One That Plays Them All" which I feel is a bit misleading.

At the time I bought MJ I had no .Flac files, but a friend has just mailed me two of his own work.

I bought MJ about a year ago and it's still my favourite organiser, though I usually use WinAmp for playing because MJ is a bit memory-hungry and slows down my computer too much.

Thanks for your comments and I agree that a .Flac plug-in from someone with the expertise would be nice.

Cheers,
Alan Carpenter

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2003, 04:47:12 pm »

While I too desire FLAC support for MJ/MC, I resigned myself to the fact that it won't happen...unless I write it :). Are you aware that for playback, Winamp 2.x plugin's will work (or should) in MJ? (not in MC, though). If your FLAC's are tagged correctly then you could use any of the tons of frontends available on the net for tasks such as this. You could then batch the conversions overnight (if they reside on the harddrive). Not quite what your looking for as far as the all in one approach is concerned, I know. I use a core of 3 apps: MC, EAC, and WavGain. More complicated to be sure but it gives me total control and the best quality possible.

10-27
Pages: [1]   Go Up