INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbee Question  (Read 1595 times)

Chuck_Brotman

• Recent member
  • ...CB...
Newbee Question
« on: November 14, 2002, 02:43:55 pm »

Hi,
I just started using mediaplayer 8, and think it's fantastic(!) and  I've tried many! One quick question: Is there an easy way to get a  (not yet in media library) m3u list (like you can download from mp3.Com) to be added to the end of the now playing list instead of replacing the list???

Thanks,
Chuck :)
Chuck Brotman

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
Re: Newbee Question
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2002, 06:10:49 pm »

CB,

First thing:
Tunes referenced in a playlist have to be resident on your hard drive OR available thru a LAN/Media Server OR on a CD in your ROM/RW drive.

Second thing:
MJ doesn't use a m3u (WinAmp playlist) directly....they're converted to pls (MJ playlist) when (in MJ) you run Tools>Import Media. After import you will see the list in the tree view under Playlists. On import it probably WILL overwrite an existing list if the name is the same.

Xenno

Chuck_Brotman

• Recent member
  • ...CB...
Re: Newbie Question
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2002, 08:14:15 am »

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it! However I'm somewhat confused by your answer...

Re: m3u: If I download and open a m3u file it starts up and plays just fine, even though the media files themselves exist only on mp3.com. I do have a Lan/cable connection to the internet, but no Server on my LAN (as far as I know)

Re: importing: I am not importing these via the MJ menu, just opening the m3u file on the desktop, perhaps the Import is implicit?  

Re: Overwriting: I understand that a like named play-list will be overwritten, But I was really asking about the now playing play-list being sappended to, not overwritten.  I know this can be done within MJ, I was asking if there was a setting that would allow associated files to be appended to Now Playing after being opened (outside Of MJ)

Sorry if I have not understood you clearly, and thanks for your help...
CB,

First thing:
Tunes referenced in a play-list have to be resident on your hard drive OR available thru a LAN/Media Server OR on a CD in your ROM/RW drive.

Second thing:
MJ doesn't use a m3u (WinAmp playlist) directly....they're converted to pls (MJ playlist) when (in MJ) you run Tools>Import Media. After import you will see the list in the tree view under Playlists. On import it probably WILL overwrite an existing list if the name is the same.

Xenno

Chuck Brotman

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2002, 08:55:57 am »

CB,

>However I'm somewhat confused by your answer...

You should be! Because it looks like I was dead wrong on some of it. However, when I checked out mp3.com I saw 2 things...it's ability to stream audio (as in Int radio or real time playback) or download the tune...but there is nothing about playlists. You may have to "show me" where they are.

>perhaps the Import is implicit

Yes...it's doing a m3u to pls conversion when you dbl click or open it outside MJ

> I was really asking about the now playing playlist being sappended to, not ovewrwritten

Yes, you can append (replace is default).
Go to Settings>Options>General>Behavior>Double Click and check out your options there in the combobox

Xenno

edit > wrong again...All MJ playlists are kept in one *.jmd file, and not *.pls. Whatever the case...I know it doesn't use m3u's directly.

Chuck_Brotman

• Recent member
  • ...CB...
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2002, 11:38:02 am »

At MP3.com, when you click on a single song link you get streamed an mp3. However, there are many places (e.g. artist pages & mp3 "radio", where what you get is a songlist, an m3u file. This list seems to consist only of hyperlinks to the streaming songs on the web. I've used this extensively in M$ media player (9), musicmatch jukebox, sonique etc. it seems to work in musicmatch as well. I just want to adjust the behavior to be less like media player (play new downloads immediately) and more like musicmatch (queue new downloaded song or pointers )  [I'll check out the settings change you recommended] Thanks!!!
Chuck Brotman

Chuck_Brotman

• Recent member
  • ...CB...
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2002, 12:23:20 pm »

xen-uno,
   I tried the settings you suggested, but coiuldn't get it to work the way I had hoped! Sure enough, items in the media library,when double-clicked in MJ  would be appended to the Playing Now list, but external items like *.m3u and *.mp3 files on my hardrive  still replaced whatever was in Playing Now, when double clicked in windows explorer. Does this mean that I need to manually import files into the media library before being able to append them to playing now???

Thanks again,
Chuck
Chuck Brotman

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2002, 12:33:29 pm »

If shell integration is enabled in MJ, you should have some right click options.  Is your version current?

Chuck_Brotman

• Recent member
  • ...CB...
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2002, 12:56:03 pm »

Jim,

Enabling shell integration does give me the right-click option I need , thanks!

However, this gets me only one step closer to my goal. The goal is to be able to get streaming media ala m3u files to AUTOMAGICALLY be added to the end of Playing-Now, when opened. Yes, I know that a rightclick isn't that much more work than a left click, but whatI really want is to be able to setup the downloaded m3u files to open (not save) when downloaded. This means I would not have a chance to right click on the file before it starts playing...

Thanks,
Chuck
Chuck Brotman
Pages: [1]   Go Up