INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ripping a live album  (Read 1060 times)

jleerigby

Ripping a live album
« on: May 18, 2004, 03:17:10 am »

I have a live album on an audio CD that plays continuously i.e. there are no gaps between the tracks but you can skip from track #1 to track #2 etc. as normal.  

Is it possible to rip such a CD to MP3 and burn it to an MP3 disk so that it plays in the same way.  I've heard mention in this forum of 'Cue file'.  Is this what cue file is all about?

I'd appreciate it if someone could shed some light on this.

NoCodeUK

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:Ripping a live album
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2004, 04:08:36 am »

Depends on the MP3 player you are gona play it on... the MP3 in my car puts gaps in regardless :(

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

hit_ny

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2004, 05:58:49 am »

I have a live album on an audio CD that plays continuously i.e. there are no gaps between the tracks but you can skip from track #1 to track #2 etc. as normal.  

Is it possible to rip such a CD to MP3 and burn it to an MP3 disk so that it plays in the same way.  I've heard mention in this forum of 'Cue file'.  Is this what cue file is all about?

I'd appreciate it if someone could shed some light on this.

Some clarification reqd here....i will assume u want to burn mp3s to CD as u get more albums on the CD than as audio.

You will have to burn the large mp3 as one file, not any different than any other data file. However unless ur mp3 player is capable of reading CUE files (to my knowledge not many portable mp3 players can), it will not be possible to skip from track to track. Your only consolation in this case is that the album will play gaplessly on even the most basic of mp3 players.

If u convert to audio your options improve but then its 1album/CD. You would have to use EAC i.e. till MC supports CUE.

In EAC Action->Copy Imag & Create Cue Sheet will create wav+CUE

Then you could use Nero (or cdrwin) and burn as image by providing the cue file along with large WAV and burn. This will create an Audio CD and have the track markers with which u could skip tracks.

Its a pity u cant skip tracks without having to split the large file, but then gapless play is entirely dependent on how well the mp3 player can chain separate tracks together. From what i gather this requires memory to buffer the (end+start of next track) making the players more expensive than desired. i expect as memory gets cheaper, true gapless will be possible  with separate tracks (mp3s)

jleerigby

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2004, 06:01:36 am »

Thanks hit_ny.  That makes sense.
Pages: [1]   Go Up