INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with MC Start-Up/Smartlists  (Read 1030 times)

molarman

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Smiling Increases Your Face Value
Help with MC Start-Up/Smartlists
« on: May 13, 2004, 08:13:29 am »

I am using MC as a music server at the office.  I have a smartlist that I want it to play each day when we start the PC and MC comes up.  In "options" I have selected "Last Location" as the place to start.  Is this the correct setting (assuming it is playing that smartlist at shut-down)?

This is why I am a bit confused.............When I manually select the appropriate smartlist by double-clicking on it, I see the filter selections that are associated with that smartlist in the upper right corner of MC (the "search" field).  However, when MC auto starts each morning (although it begins to play music) the "search" field does not reveal any of those filters for that playlist, so it appears as if that smartlist is not playing.  How can I confirm that it is palying that particular smartlist and not  playing another smartlist or just playing my library at random?  

I'm running MC 9.1.316.

TIA.

Chris Shaw

• Galactic Citizen
Re:Help with MC Start-Up/Smartlists
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2004, 12:53:08 pm »

I'm using 10.0, but this all be the same in 9.1

The "Last location" option only affects where you're looking when MC starts up, not what's playing. I'm assuming you've also got "Start playing current playlist" checked. This is a bit misleading. It should be called "Start playing what's in Playing Now". What's probably happened is that at some point, you added all the files from your smartlist to Playing Now, and every day, MC is just resuming where it left off.

You're probably better turning off "Start playing current playlist" and setting your server to run this command line:
mjextman.exe /Play "TREEPATH=Playlists\My Smartlist"
or whatever your smartlist is called. This will start MC, calculate your smartlist, copy the files from it into Playing Now, then play them.

Hope this helped.

molarman

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2004, 08:57:53 am »

and setting your server to run this command line:
mjextman.exe /Play "TREEPATH=Playlists\My Smartlist"
or whatever your smartlist is called.

Thanks for the post.  I have MC in the Start-Up group so that it begins playing when the PC is powered up each day.  Can you elaborate as to how and where to place this command line?  The OS is Win 2000.

TIA.

Chris Shaw

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2004, 09:07:44 am »

OK. If you right click on "Media Center" in your startup group and then click on Properties, you should get a window up with the "Shortcut" tab active. Under Target, it should say
"C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\Media Jukebox.exe"

You should change this to
C:\WINNT\system32\mjextman.exe /Play "TREEPATH=Playlists\My Smartlist"
or whatever your smartlist is called. Probably a good idea to rename the shortcut from "Media Center" to "Media Center - startup" or something to avoid confusion.

Hope this helps.

molarman

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2004, 09:46:22 am »

Absolutely worked like a charm!!  Thanks a million!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up