INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Remote control "repeating" commands even with max "anti repeat."  (Read 4288 times)

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

I have the "anti-repeat" time on MC set to the maximum (500ms) but I'm still getting repeats when doing certain procedures.  The odd thing is that it only seems to happen on certain commands and not others.  For example, the "enter" or "play" or "pause" commands always seem to work fine, but the navigation (up, down, left, right) will often repeat and jump past the screen I want.

Is there anything else that can effect this, like perhaps changing the "port settings" for the com port that the receiver is plugged into (maybe raising or lowering the data rate, which is currently set to 9600)?  I'm using the X10 MP3 remote with the downloaded plugin.

Thanks for any help with this,

Larry

jleerigby

Re:Remote control "repeating" commands even with max "anti repeat."
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2004, 07:28:02 am »

MC's remote control functionality is still quite limited.  I'd recommend that you invest in Girder as this is far more powerful and configurable.  You can have a higher anti-repeat setting for example.

Fixer

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2004, 11:07:18 am »

MC's remote control functionality is still quite limited.  I'd recommend that you invest in Girder as this is far more powerful and configurable.  You can have a higher anti-repeat setting for example.

I've never found the anti-repeat setting for Girder, I'd appreciate you letting me know where that setting is in Girder.  Thanks.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2004, 04:21:45 pm »

One piece of evidence that seems to point to MC as the problem is the fact that I NEVER get repeats during the MC remote control "learn" process.  I can move through the learn process quickly with the anti-repeat set to 250ms without ever having a command repeat.  If it was a problem with the remote/system, I should get repeat issues during this process as well.

Could somebody explain exactly what happens such that commands get "repeated."  I had assumed that the problem with repeated commands came from holding the button down a little too long and therefore getting a second command that you didn't want (much like the way a keyboard works.)  This is apparently NOT the issue when it comes to this remote.  Rather, the repeat seems to be completely an issue with MC or elsewhere in the system and not the actual commands coming from the remote itself.

On my X10 MP3 remote, I can get repeated commands even with a VERY quick button hit and even where MC is set to 500ms anti-repeat time.  I am hitting and releasing the button in WAY under a half second (500ms) yet I'm still getting repeats -- some commands seem to be totally consistant in this regard.  It seems like the SYSTEM, which only gets a single command, is repeating the command for some reason.  It would help if I understood where the repeat is occuring, since it's obviously not a problem with the actual commands coming from the remote.

Thanks for any information on this,

Larry

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2004, 06:40:11 pm »

After some testing, I found that my slower system has this problem whereas my faster system does not.  Of course I have no way of knowing if the speed is what's causing the difference -- it could be other issues like the fact that the faster system is still Win2K while the slow system is running XP Pro.  The "slow" system is a clean WindowsXP install so the problem doesn't appear to be due to other software.

I dropped the "anti repeat" on the faster system and I ended up with "similar" results to what I'm seeing on the other system, so at this point I think all the issues I'm seeing (the repeating as well as the "play button" issues reported in another thread) are due to a "repeat" issue.

Once again, the issue of repeating does NOT appear to be due to the actual remote given that the "learn" process NEVER has repeated command issues.  I can zip through the learn process with no problems.  This appears to be an issue with MC only repeating commands when in normal operation mode, and it's repeating commands even though the remote does NOT appear to be repeating them.

Does anybody know where to look for the cause of this or how to solve it?  The "slow" system is a P3 850 -- which should still have some life in it for this sort of application.

Thanks again for any help with this,

Larry

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2004, 02:20:20 am »

I tried Girder, and while it is vastly more powerful, it's also VASTLY more complicated to use.  I'm sure I could figure it out if I put my mind to it, but it's either not "intuitive" or it's a bit buggy given that I got it to work for a moment, and then it stopped working and I can't figure out why.  Either way, I'm not sure I really have the time to figure it all out.

The MC remote control functionality, on the other hand, is incredibly intuitive and quick to set up, and it generally does everything I really "need" at this time -- it just isn't working correctly on this system for some reason.

Larry

jleerigby

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2004, 02:51:56 am »

I tried Girder, and while it is vastly more powerful, it's also VASTLY more complicated to use.  I'm sure I could figure it out if I put my mind to it, but it's either not "intuitive" or it's a bit buggy given that I got it to work for a moment, and then it stopped working and I can't figure out why.  Either way, I'm not sure I really have the time to figure it all out.

The MC remote control functionality, on the other hand, is incredibly intuitive and quick to set up, and it generally does everything I really "need" at this time -- it just isn't working correctly on this system for some reason.

Larry

You will find a sample girder .gml file shipped with MC in the ..data\extras\girder folder.  This should give you an idea as to how to get everything in girder working.  It does take a little time to get used to it but once you do you will never want to be without it.  Whilst MC satisfies your current need you will soon find other stuff that you want to do that simply cannot be done without girder (e.g. apply ratings).

I have found girder to be one of the most reliable pieces of software I've ever used.  If you have a specific task that you want girder to do and can't figure it out post the details and we'll talk you through it step by step.

Make sure that you have the X10 remote plug in loaded and enabled.  If it's not shipped with girder it will be available on their website.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2004, 03:47:50 am »

Thanks for the tip on the sample file -- I'm using this as a starting point and simply reprogramming the commands to work with my remote -- so far it seems to work, but I have a few further questions:  

Are the "arrow" commands (up, down, left, right) in there somewhere, or will I have to create these?  What about that "power" command -- or do I have to create this myself as well or is it somewhere in the list?

What is the difference between the "mjextman Commands" and the "WMessage Commands"?

Finally, how do I get commands like arrows or FF/REW to repeat?  At the moment, they only execute once for each button press?

Thanks again -- if I can get Girder to work, it may solve my problems.  I am not in front of the system that has the "repeat" problem at the moment, but I should be able to test it out tomorrow.

Larry

jleerigby

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2004, 03:57:37 am »

Download my .gml here.

My .gml is more complicated than you will need and is designed to work with NetRemote so you won't see commands like play, next, stop, pause etc (you have these in the MC sample gml).  But if you have a poke around you will find the commands for opening MC and the navigation arrows.  I think you will find the /power command in a multigroup under media centre\power\Mc open.  The navigation controls are also in there either in the MC directory or the HTPC directory.  

Don't feel that you need to copy all the commands in my multigroups in MC as these may be more complex than what you require.  Just find the single commands that you need so you can copy them to your .gml

jleerigby

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2004, 04:11:00 am »

Sorry, I didn't answer all of your questions.

What is the difference between the "mjextman Commands" and the "WMessage Commands"?
I'm not sure but I remember investigating this ages ago and deciding that mjextman commands work efficiently.  I don't think it really matters.

Finally, how do I get commands like arrows or FF/REW to repeat?  At the moment, they only execute once for each button press?
Check out this document, which includes more commands.  There is one for FF or RW 5 seconds.  Just set these up in girder in the same way as the mjextman.exe /power command.

If you don't apply an anti-repeat setting you should find that you can hold down the button on your remote and it will move forwards or backwards through the track.  Each 5 secs will be processed separately so it might be a bit jerky but it should work fine.  In the sample .gml isn't there an example whereby the number of seconds is included in the 'step size' in the execute mjextman.exe command?  This would allow you to allocate a larger step size if preferred.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2004, 04:12:07 am »

Thanks.  What is the "ccf" file, and do I need it for something?  Also, is there a simple setting to get FF and REW to repeat?

Thanks again for you help,

Larry

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2004, 04:22:19 am »

Sorry, I didn't answer all of your questions.

You ARE answering them -- I just have a lot.

If you don't apply an anti-repeat setting you should find that you can hold down the button on your remote and it will move forwards or backwards through the track.

This isn't happening -- the FF and REW both only work once for each press.  With the native MC remote setup, the FF and REW commands DO repeat when I hold the buttons down, so I know this "can" work -- Girder is just not repeating them at the moment for some reason.  I'll look into the "state" settings and see if I can figure this out.

Larry

jleerigby

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2004, 04:34:24 am »

Don't use the state settings in girder for this.  This is not what they are for.  State settings in girder are typically used for toggling between 2 different actions with one event (button on your remote).  

I do FF & RW different now because I use NetRemote instead of an IR remote but when I used an IR remote I did get this to work.  I think I just used the examples from the sample .gml for FF & RW.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2004, 06:21:37 am »

I finally figured out how to program commands that repeat -- you need to hold down the remote button and do another "learn" for a second event.  Unfortunately, Girder keeps crashing when I try to do this.  It takes several tries before I can finally get it to take the command without crashing.  In fact, I notice that Girder has quite a few errors when configuring it -- most of them don't actually crash the program, but some do.  Is Girder 3.3.1 stable with Win2K?  So far the problems only seem to effect the actual Girder setup, but this has me concerned.

Larry

jleerigby

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2004, 07:17:36 am »

I finally figured out how to program commands that repeat -- you need to hold down the remote button and do another "learn" for a second event.  

I never heard of that before nor have I seen Girder crash (well maybe twice in 12 months and I use it every day).  I'm using 3.2.9 which is no longer available.  I don't know about Win2K as I use XP Pro.  

Maybe you have a problem with your remote.  Try learning one of the IR codes from another remote (TV, DVD player etc) and see if you get the same problem.  Before assuming that Girder is unstable and is at fault here remember that Girder is the centre-piece of thousands of peoples home theatre systems for whom it works perfectly so it could just be something about your set up.  

You are in danger of sounding like some of the newbies who come here and say stuff like 'MC won't play files so it must be a bug in MC'.  

If you do think it's a bug try you could try the girder forum though I'm still happy to help where I can with any more queries that you may have.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2004, 07:49:47 am »

Maybe you have a problem with your remote.

I don't think the remote is the problem given than the errors and crashes often happen when I'm simply navigating around the Girder tree -- i.e. I'm not using the remote at the time, but rather I simply highlight a branch and I get an error or a crash.

You are in danger of sounding like some of the newbies who come here and say stuff like 'MC won't play files so it must be a bug in MC'.

I think if you look at my post you'll see that I'm not making any judgemental statements about the program -- in fact, I mentioned in one of my posts that it seems like Girder may actually solve my issues.  I'm simply reporting exactly what I'm experiencing with total accuracy, which is an undue amount of errors at the moment.  I asked if the program is stable with Win2K thinking that this was perhaps an issue.  Nowhere did I make any all encompassing remarks about the program or place any "blame" for the errors -- I simply reported my current predicament.

I actually did check the Girder forums, and it seems like others are experiencing similar issues.  It's hard to tell, but it may be due to the particular plugin (i.e. the X10 plugin) which could explain why you're not experiencing this issue.  It could also be any number of other things -- virus scanner, firewall, etc. -- but it's definitely "related" to Girder since it's so consistant, and since this system is so stable otherwise.

I should mention again that I VERY much appreciate the help you've given me here -- I've made HUGE steps in the last few hours toward getting my system fully working, and this was primarily due to your specific input.  I still think Girder may in fact be the answer to my situation, and I would not have persued it had you not offered the suggestions and answers to my questions.

I also want to thank IlPadrino for his information in another thread regarding the "resources.xml" file and the command to directly bring up Theater View.

Thanks again,

Larry

jleerigby

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2004, 08:07:23 am »

Yeh - when I said it may be a problem with your remote I suppose that means the receiver and plug in too.  Strange that girder should crash just navigating the tree though???  It might still be worth trying a learn from 'any old remote that you have lying around' just in case it reveals different results.  I'm afraid I don't know much about the X10 as I've only used IRMan and the USB-UIRT, both of which I can highly recommend.

Good luck with it.

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2004, 08:09:44 am »

If you are using an X10 based remote check out this thread:

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33650141

In particular, the post by ngifford leads to a GML for Girder that assigns a bunch of standard functions (eg. arrow keys, numbers, volume) to the remote. These can be used by MC or by any other program.

You can then add the MC GML and assign commands to override the standard ones.

Apparently the Windows messaging commands are more stable than the MJEXTMAN commands in W2K and WinXP.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2004, 10:07:54 am »

Apparently the Windows messaging commands are more stable than the MJEXTMAN commands in W2K and WinXP.

Both should be completely stable.  Please start a new thread if you have problems with one of the methods.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

jleerigby

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2004, 11:03:05 am »

Both should be completely stable.  Please start a new thread if you have problems with one of the methods.

Thanks.
I agree.  I never had any problem with mjextman and since this method interfaces directly with MC's engine I figured that was the preferred route.

Thanks.  What is the "ccf" file, and do I need it for something?
The ccf file is for NetRemote.  You don't need it.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2004, 03:14:48 pm »

I looked at the link you posted, but I didn't see anything about this.  Where did you hear/read this?

Thanks,

Larry

jleerigby

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2004, 03:01:43 am »

I looked at the link you posted, but I didn't see anything about this.  Where did you hear/read this?

Thanks,

Larry
I searched the forum for both mjextman and wmessage and could find nothing that would favour one over the other.  Given Matt's comment above and the fact that all the examples given in the command line parameters document in the dev zone are mjextman I would strongly recommend that you stick with that.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2004, 04:10:48 am »

Thanks.  I'm using the mjextman and it seems to be working.

The only issue is that the system that I'm actually using the software on is fairly sluggish with the remote commands.  Is there a way to help this, or is a P3 850 just not enough power to get more crisp control?  I tested it on my P4 2.5, and it had MUCH better response.  Unfortunately, it's the P3 850 that I need to use for this task.  Is sluggish control just to be expected with this system, or is this something I should try troublshooting?

Do you think that the Windows Messaging commands would have any faster response?  My instinct is that this would actually be slower.

Sluggishness aside, I do like the Girder control, and it DOES solve the repeat issue that I was having with the native MC remote control plugin, so I'm going to go ahead and purchase a Girder license.  I never would have been able to figure it out without an existing gml file set up for MC, but with this file it was actually relatively straight forward.

Thanks,

Larry
Pages: [1]   Go Up