INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MP3 Ripping Speeds in MJ  (Read 784 times)

sawtooth12

• Recent member
  • The corporate beast is always hungry for more
MP3 Ripping Speeds in MJ
« on: November 15, 2002, 03:11:12 am »

I have a pretty powerful computer, a 2Ghz P4 Intel with 512mb RAM running Media Jukebox. Needless to say, I love the software and use it daily.  ;)

Main reason WHY I bought it was for MP3 ripping, I like all to within one app, which MJ does well.

I downloaded the new Ahead Nero update and one is given (supposedly) 30 tracks free using their encoder. I allows MP3 CBR, VBR and MP3-Pro, the latter no use because of my Rio 500.

Point of this topic is that the encoder BLAZED. It was maxing out at 18x with the encoder at full quality, averaging around 170-200kbps VBR. With MJ set to encoder type VBR quality 'normal' and quality set to 'best' I get the same kbps as Nero, although I'm only doing max about 8x on the ripping speed.

Point is, both are giving the same bitrates on the outputted MP3 VBR file, I made many comparisons and the average was consistent. The quality when listening through headphones was not noticeable, yet the Ahead encoder ripped at more than DOUBLE the speed, 8x to 18x...

Would love to see some optimisation on the MP3 encoder that one downloads as a plug-in to make it go FASTER!!! Otherwise if it comes to me having to rip out my whole library of 2000 CD's, I might have to purchase their plug-in and use their nasty interface for it all. Not something I want to do.  :-/

Many thanks, this aside I have no problems, all is brilliant with the software, as I'd hoped.
--------------------
andrew
fusion.01 design
http://www.fusion01.com/
freelance web design & development

BrianLHunt

• nothing more to say...
Re: MP3 Ripping Speeds in MJ
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2002, 04:09:16 am »

You are comparing two different encoders - MJ uses LAME and Nero uses Fraunhofer.

MJ did not design the LAME encoder and therefore, cannot make it run any faster.

MJ has no plans to use the Fraunhofer encoder due to licensing.  (MJ's cost would go up.)

Many will tell you that LAME produces better quality mp3 files than Fraunhofer; therefore, don't just look at the speed of the encoder, also look at the quality.  The WMA encoder is faster than the Fraunhofer, but some will debate the quality.

Just my 2 cents...
BRiAN L. HUNT
Pages: [1]   Go Up