INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Deskbar -- Update 3  (Read 3049 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
JRiver Deskbar -- Update 3
« on: May 20, 2004, 05:30:43 pm »

There's a spiffy new desktop bar from JRiver that gives you quick access to your music (and lots of other useful stuff) at any time.

The latest version of the JRiver Deskbar can be downloaded here: http://www.musicex.com/mediacenter/mc_data/tmp/JRDeskBar.mjp

Update 3 Changes / Improvements:
1. NEW: Added auto-complete system that allows typing any part of any command so you don't need to learn shortcuts. (see documentation below)
2. Fixed: System could beep when pressing enter in the box.
3. Fixed: Calculator could show too many 0's on non-US locales. (i.e. 1+1=2,00000)
4. NEW: Added Rate Playing command for rating the currently playing song in MC.
5. NEW: Added Reshuffle command.

Installation:
1) Ensure that you have MC 10.0.134 or later installed.
2) Disable the JRiver Deskbar if you've previously installed it, then restart your computer.
3) Install the above component (right-click > Save As > then run the downloaded mjp)
4) Right-click on taskbar / start menu area and choose Toolbars > JRiver DeskBar (some computers may require a few clicks or a restart for this to show up)
5) Turn off the system clock to save space since the JRiver bar doubles as a clock
6) Use it (right-click on the bar to see commands -- note that you can also just type the commands once you learn them)

Uninstallation:
1) Turn off the toolbar like when you turned it on.
2) Optionally unregister JRDeskBar.dll in the MC directory with regsvr32.exe /u C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\JRDeskBar.dll then delete JRDeskBar.dll.
3) Restart computer

Enjoy :)

DISCLAIMER: This component is a beta. It may not work.  It may not be available at a later date.  It may not remain free.  It may not be included with MC 10.  Use it at your own risk.  Copyright (C) 2004 JRiver, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re:JRiver Deskbar -- Update 3
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2004, 05:31:15 pm »

Instructions for the new quick command finder:

Type any part of the command until the desired command is selected. (tip: you can also use up/down or the mouse – however, typing will be faster if you know what you’re looking for)

If the command takes additional parameters (like with an internet search), press space and type the search.

Press enter to execute the command.

Examples
  • goo tuba sale (searches Google for tuba sale)
  • go news movies (searches Google News for movies)
  • og ews movies (searches Google News for movies)
  • xt (plays the next track in Media Center)
  • goo / followed by a down key / type tuba sale (searches Google Groups for tuba sale)

The key is that you can type any part of the command, and that the selected command is always the one that will be run.

For example, type "Shopping" or "pping" or some derivative thereof.  Then use [down] to choose the shopping site you want if the selected one isn't what you want.  Then type the search and hit enter.  You could have also typed "pping gr" to get PriceGrabber selected instead of using [down].

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2004, 09:50:45 pm »

How about adding formating ability for the window? I'd like to show seconds with the time hh:mm:ss

Soundman

• World Citizen
  • Go Music!
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2004, 10:26:38 pm »

4. NEW: Added Rate Playing command for rating the currently playing song in MC.

That is a great one!  Request: A "set" command that can set the value of any field (including user fields) like this:

set artist=My Favorite Singer

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2004, 10:29:11 pm »

How is the new quick find command stuff working for people?  We thought it'd be slick to eliminate the need to memorize any commands or shortcuts.

Does this new system make sense?

Can you think of any ways to make it easier or more powerful?

Thanks.

Sweet Spot

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2004, 01:31:32 am »

I think it's great that you guys have implamented a deskbar, and I'm sure it will improve in time. As an example of what I personally think is a very simple yet highly effective model to base this after...you guys should look at the one that QCD player utilizes. It's very small, placing simple little tray icons (in one group)which are customizable for each function wanted (can associate whichever symbol with which ever function you choose) in the system tray.

It's something I've sorely missed with MC. However, what is still missing from this deskbar, is volume control. I dont' want to have to resize MC in order to adjust the volume. I want to be able to do a track search, FF, REW, pause, stop and volume in one small area. Preferably from the sys tray.

Thx.

S.
Are you gonna bark all day little doggie....Or are you gonna bite ?

IanG

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2004, 05:49:33 am »

I'd love the ability to record info about streaming media - e.g. RadioParadise plays something I haven't heard before and I'd like to append the artist and title to a list that I can review later.

Ian G.

cattani

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Come to Black Sea !!! Constanta !!!
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2004, 08:06:14 am »

Hello ! Today i test JRiver Deskbar.
Good ideea to replace the clock of windows.
For now Info & Configuration is a good start !!!

Bye !!!
Fii optimist si asteapta imposibilul !!!

Matthew

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2004, 12:05:54 pm »

Hi guys! Every time I tried to install this new DeskBar I get the following error:

Failed to install package.

More info: Destination file is in use.

C:\Documents and Settings\Matthew Conner\Local
Settings\Temp\JRiver Desk Bar\JRDeskBar.dll

URL: ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/tmp/JRDeskBar.zip

LonWar

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2004, 12:19:45 pm »

Do you have an earlier version installed?

If so, uncheck the tool bar, then reboot.

Then install.
-

Matthew

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2004, 12:35:19 pm »

Hey it worked thanks, imjustagamer

LonWar

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2004, 12:41:21 pm »

Thank Matt, His instructions:

Installation:
1) Ensure that you have MC 10.0.134 or later installed.
2) Disable the JRiver Deskbar if you've previously installed it, then restart your computer.
3) Install the above component (right-click > Save As > then run the downloaded mjp)
4) Right-click on taskbar / start menu area and choose Toolbars > JRiver DeskBar (some computers may require a few clicks or a restart for this to show up)
5) Turn off the system clock to save space since the JRiver bar doubles as a clock
6) Use it (right-click on the bar to see commands -- note that you can also just type the commands once you learn them)

-

pank2002

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2004, 01:51:07 pm »

I think you could make the commands simpler.

Fx if I write 2+2 the calc will be used even though calc isn't specified by the '=', but I don't know if that possible. Also, to rate current track I would be more convinienc, imo, if you could just pup (fx) four stars (****) in the field and the current track will be rated 4.
  A hotkey to take you to the tyoing field would be nice too.

BTW: Thanks for fixing the calc.
Music is life... the rest is details.
Here is a security related website: secubi.dk
Pages: [1]   Go Up