INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multiple Renaming Templates  (Read 2013 times)

jplumey

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
Multiple Renaming Templates
« on: December 10, 2003, 10:41:25 am »

I'm currently using the "Rename file from Properties" feature extensively but I can't find a way to create multiple templates. The goal is simple: when renaming audio files I want to use a certain template that is different from the template I want to use when renaming image files.

I drag and drop images from my digital camera reader into MC and then modify the properties. Then I use the rename function to "move" them onto their final destination on my network. The problem is that I have to reconfigure the template definition when I want to perform a similar action on MP3 files. Any ideas???

nila

Re:Multiple Renaming Templates
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2003, 11:44:16 am »

Currently the renaming templates are global.

With the introduction of 'Media Modes' in v10 this might get split into templates for each mode but we'll have to wait and see and you'll have to be using v10 to see it as well :)

Mirko

• Galactic Citizen
  • Coffee ready?
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2003, 11:54:53 am »

I would prefer having multiple templates for the same modes - yeah, call me a freak, but I like to manage the chaos more than one way 8)

Mir-the more options the better-ko

nila

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2003, 01:04:09 pm »

I would prefer having multiple templates for the same modes - yeah, call me a freak, but I like to manage the chaos more than one way 8)
If you have it all all media mode I'd imagine the templates will be a combination of all of them - I'm guessing ones entered in each media mode will stay specific to that mode though - seems natural.

Media mode is gonna be FUN to watch develop :)

Mir-the more options the better-ko
AKA Nila :)

Mirko

• Galactic Citizen
  • Coffee ready?
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2003, 01:18:57 pm »

If you have it all all media mode I'd imagine the templates will be a combination of all of them - I'm guessing ones entered in each media mode will stay specific to that mode though - seems natural.

It seems natural for me to store all holiday-pictures to "media archive\private\holidays" with "year - places - objects" and to store images from the sun and the stars to "media archive\public\universum" using "objects - source" :)

Media mode is gonna be FUN to watch develop :)

Yes  ;)

Mirko

jplumey

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2004, 01:02:43 pm »

Was just doing some follow-up. Has any progress been made to the Media modes functionality? This is still a royal pain for me. I am adding between 100-200 songs per day and 50-100 pictures per day. Having to manually put in the new renaming template takes entirely too long. Here's what I'm doing:

For Music, these are my settings:

For pictures, these are my settings:

And I have additional templates for Movies that I have ripped and for downloaded music videos.

This is my shameless desperate plee for help, can anyone throw me a friggin bone here?

221bBS

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2004, 02:23:04 pm »

I use a single rule to name all my files handled by MC...

[Folder (A)]\[Folder (B)]\[Folder (C)]\[Folder (D)]\[Album]\

Folder (A )= Music, Audio, Picture, or Video
Folder (B) = If Folder A Is Music this would be...Album Artist, Soundtrack, Musical, or Compilation
Folder (C) = If Folder A Is Music this would be... 0-9, A, B, etc...
Folder (D) = If Folder A Is Music this would be... Linkin Park, Garbage, Madonna, etc....
Album = If Folder A Is Music this would be... Name of the album

So All I have to do is tell it the drive letter AKA Base Path and then use my rule...Heres how one looks like for music

E:\Music\Album Artist\L\Linkin Park\Hybrid Theory\

Followed by the file name

Another example...this time an audio book

F:\Audio\Book\R\Ayn Rand\Atlas Shrugged\

Followed by the file name

jplumey

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2004, 11:15:12 am »

So how are you telling MC the Album, Artist Name, etc.? Are you using some sort of calculated field for the 'Folder (x)' Fields?

If not I am assuming you are typing in Values for the Folder values?

EpF

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2004, 02:39:21 pm »

This came up a lot in the thread Jim started, requesting suggestions for Image Handling...

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=21248;start=0

Chris Shaw

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2004, 06:40:12 pm »

You do know that MC saves the last few values you used under Presets, don't you?

I was dead chuffed when I first noticed this.

jplumey

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2004, 11:59:13 am »

I didn't realize that, thanks very much! I still like the concept of a template, but at least for now I can just retype the Path instead of the rest. Thanks!!!

221bBS

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2004, 06:12:58 pm »

So how are you telling MC the Album, Artist Name, etc.? Are you using some sort of calculated field for the 'Folder (x)' Fields?

If not I am assuming you are typing in Values for the Folder values?

Folder (x) are fields I created and filled in...

Chris Shaw

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2004, 06:26:56 pm »

I didn't realize that, thanks very much! I still like the concept of a template, but at least for now I can just retype the Path instead of the rest. Thanks!!!

You shouldn't even need to do that. I haven't checked recently, but you should be able to leave Base Path blank and use a rule like

\\gimli\media\pictures\[Category]\[Topics]\[EventSummary]

This will then be stored in Presets and you can just choose the best one each time.

jplumey

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2004, 09:23:29 am »

Interesting though. I'll try that!

jplumey

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2004, 11:43:53 am »

You shouldn't even need to do that. I haven't checked recently, but you should be able to leave Base Path blank and use a rule like

\\gimli\media\pictures\[Category]\[Topics]\[EventSummary]

This will then be stored in Presets and you can just choose the best one each time.

I thought this would work too, but it complains that the base path is empty and it tells you it is going to insert the current path as the base path. What happens then is that i get something like c:\temp\import\\gimli\mp3\.... in the file name.

Any other ideas. I really wished that would have worked. Oh well.

edbro

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2004, 11:50:40 am »

If you are putting images and music on the same partition couldn't you use the drive letter as the base and put your different folders as presets? It appears you are using //gimli for both "templates". Try using //gimli as your base and put the different folders as presets.
Pages: [1]   Go Up