INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bug? Convert Files Not Skipping Duplicates  (Read 1436 times)

gbdesai

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
Bug? Convert Files Not Skipping Duplicates
« on: January 02, 2004, 03:16:53 pm »

I posted this question several times within the daily build threads with no reply, so I'll try it's own thread.

I tried to use the Convert library option to create a MP3 version of my entire APE collection.  I have:

- "Move to Location" CHECKED
- "Create Album/Artist Subdirectory Here" CHECKED
- "Update Database" UNCHECKED
- "Send Original Files to Recycle Bin" UNCHECKED
- "Skip Duplicates" CHECKED

Ok.  So I converted about 1000 of my 7000 file library then stopped it so I could do somethings and pick up where I left off.  When I restarted I expected it to skip the files I already converted (due to the "Skip Duplicates" being checked).  But it converted them and added (1) to the end of the file (as if that checkbox was not checked).  

Is this a bug?  I didn't change any file tags between the convert attempts, nor did I change the files in any way.  Any ideas?  I have tried it on on MC 10.024 through 10.027 with the same results.

Gautam

gbdesai

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
Re:Bug? Convert Files Not Skipping Duplicates
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2004, 01:39:44 pm »

Since I first posted this message, I have tried to convert the same file in succession (leaving no chance of file changes) with the same results.  Does skip work when using move to location?

tjobbins

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2004, 04:38:21 pm »

It can only skip files that it has in its database, it doesn't scan the filesystem to see if a file with the same name already exists.  It just checks to see if there is a file in the library with a filename and path that match the Move To location.

I have a regular convert job I do, which converts all my APE files to MP3.  I use this to maintain two libraries, one APE and one MP3 (useful to speed transfers to my ipod).  I work around this issue by converting with Update Database turned off, then importing the Move To dirs into my library after each conversion finishes.  These are then skipped on future conversions.  To avoid getting duplicate tracks in my library, I exclude the converted copies from my view filters.

It'd be nice if there was a 'Import converted file into database' (perhaps mutually exclusive with 'Update database'?) which would automate this.

Hope that helps

Tom

gbdesai

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2004, 10:07:47 pm »

Thanks so much.  That answers that.  I agree that native support for what we are trying to do would be ideal.  Until then, I'll try your idea.

TXgary

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2004, 09:42:14 am »

Perhaps the move to location is the key.  My wma's are not in the same path as my mp3s.  I thought that the system looked to see if the mp3 had a dup of the wma in the database (pointer).  It does, but not in the same path.  I can sort on artist then name and they are together, but the system does not see them that way.  Not sure how it sees them.

TXgary

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2004, 09:45:31 am »

tjobbins

Please elaborate on your procedure as it is exactly what I want to do only have two sets (one wma and one mp3) for my Nomad and home systems.  I don't understand how it skips the ones already converted, that is what i am trying to do with the convert but I get dup wma's.  
Thanks for the help

gbdesai

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2004, 12:49:31 pm »

Sounds like he does a conversion with the Update turned off.  When the conversion is complete, he does an import on the directory structure that he converted the new set of files to.  I'll have to try this too.  I just wish there was an easy way to manage this.  I suggested the idea that a single entry in Media Center could be linked to a primary format and also point to a converted version of the same file, so the system could use whichever was appropriate for things like handheld syncing (instead of a new conversion everytime).  Let me know what you decide to do.
Pages: [1]   Go Up