INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: setting up album thumbnails view in MC10  (Read 1813 times)

nickharambee

• Galactic Citizen
  • doh!
setting up album thumbnails view in MC10
« on: May 24, 2004, 01:58:12 pm »

hello,

i have just switched over from a 'details' view to an 'album thumbnails' view in MC10.  once i have selected the artist that i want to listen to in the tree on the left i'd like to be able to click on any of the album thumbnails on the right and for this to then take me to the playing now page with cover art in the display section and a 'details' view below for all of the tracks on this album.  is this possible, and if so, how?

thanks

nick

LonWar

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:setting up album thumbnails view in MC10
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2004, 02:03:13 pm »

Not sure that you can do that in MC...
You may be able to do that in the Album View plugin...
-

nickharambee

• Galactic Citizen
  • doh!
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2004, 02:11:42 pm »

where will i find the album view plug-in.  can't seem to see it on the plug-ins page

LonWar

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2004, 02:22:58 pm »

http://accessories.musicex.com/mediacenter/accessories.php

It's there... Under Intrerface.. at the bottom.
-

nickharambee

• Galactic Citizen
  • doh!
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2004, 03:06:44 pm »

thanks

i am having a dabble with album view plug-in, and i like a lot of its features, but some of the cover art that i have set up in MC isn't being picked up by album view, and i can't see an easy way of adding cover art to an album (though of course there probably is one)

what i am looking for is to keep as much of an 'image' feel to MC as possible.  that is why i thought of switching to 'album thumnail' view.  this view is fine for albums by a single artist, but when i use this view for compilations i get a thumbnail for every track when i only want one for each album.  i also want some submenu such that when i click on an album thumbnail i get a list of all the tracks on this album.  is it possible to do this, i.e. get a 'detail' view of the album contents (as opposed to the playing now screen)

thanks

nick

nickharambee

• Galactic Citizen
  • doh!
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2004, 03:23:54 am »

just to clarify the kind of set up that i am looking for.  generally i would like to keep as much of an 'image' feel to MC as possible.  the two alternatives i am exploring are (i) using MC 'album thumnails' view and (ii) using 'album view' plug-in.  the issues that i have with these 2 alternatives are as follows:

(i) MC 'album thumbnails':

1. there doesn't seem to be a way of clicking on an album thumbnail and then going to the details of that album.  i can toggle between different views, but the 'details' view then brings up all of the albums by a given artist, unless i specify which album i want to listen to in the tree view on the left.  so there doesn't seem to be a more direct way of accessing a specific album via the album thumbnails route.

2. if i use 'album thumbnails' for compilations i get a thumbail for every track in the compilation, when i only want one for each compilation.

(ii) 'album view' plug-in

1. this plug-in doesn't automatically update changes that i have made in MC, specifically cover art.  i presume that there is a way of doing this, but haven't worked this out yet.

2. there doesn't seem to be a simple way of adding cover art to albums within this plug in, and i am not sure that if i did, it would update cover art in MC.

i hope this is clear.  maybe MC is better for setting things up and 'album view' is better for displaying once things are set up.  

having said this, if anyone knows any solutions to the points i have made above, i would be grateful for some guidance

thanks

nick

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2004, 04:06:51 am »

1. there doesn't seem to be a way of clicking on an album thumbnail and then going to the details of that album.  i can toggle between different views, but the 'details' view then brings up all of the albums by a given artist, unless i specify which album i want to listen to in the tree view on the left.  so there doesn't seem to be a more direct way of accessing a specific album via the album thumbnails route.

To see album details from a thumbnail. Right-click on a thumbnail->Locate->Album

will show all tracks of that album

TO get back to the thumbnails view , hit backspace or (alt <- just like for IE)

2. if i use 'album thumbnails' for compilations i get a thumbail for every track in the compilation, when i only want one for each compilation.

The way i understand album thumbanils is they work on the album artist(auto) field.

so if a compilation is compiled by an artist enter his name into the Album Artist field. Select all the tracks for that compilation, Alt+Enter ( will give u tag info in the action window), scroll till u find Album artist (should be in the Extended section)

If the compil is just a VA (Various Artists) enter VA for the Album Artist.

nickharambee

• Galactic Citizen
  • doh!
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2004, 04:23:24 am »

thanks

i have now got the album thumbnails working for compilations (by entering 'va' in album artist field), and can get album details by going for locate>album.

when i use locate>album is it possible to not have the view scheme at the top, and just the 'details' list, and/or is there any way of displaying the cover art for the album that i am playing other than by going to playing now?

and any ideas on my questions re. album view?

nick

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2004, 05:43:12 am »

when i use locate>album is it possible to not have the view scheme at the top, and just the 'details' list,

Not from a view scheme. If u make a smartlist which displays album thumbnails only then u can. In fact this is what i use, i maximise the screen by dbl clciking on the grabber (vertical divider), can see all the albums in columns of 7 .

Can ogle all the cover art this way as well as know which albums are missing cover art.

and/or is there any way of displaying the cover art for the album that i am playing other than by going to playing now?

See previous answer

and any ideas on my questions re. album view?

i have not used album view plugin at all...its not free AFAIK, so made do with what mC could provide.

nickharambee

• Galactic Citizen
  • doh!
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2004, 05:47:40 am »

so once you have a smartlist with just album thumbnails, is it then possible to click or double click on a thumbnail and bring up a page with the details of this album?  and if it is possible to bring up such a page, can the cover art of the album still be displayed somewhere?

thanks

nick.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2004, 06:10:26 am »

so once you have a smartlist with just album thumbnails, is it then possible to click or double click on a thumbnail and bring up a page with the details of this album?

u can rightclick and do a locate Album, as explained previously. i think single clicking a thumbnail might display the tracks (if tips is enabled), or show them in the action window.

if u dbl-clicka thumbnail,  i think it sends it to playing now or queues it up depending on how u setup dbl-clcik behaviour in Options.

and if it is possible to bring up such a page, can the cover art of the album still be displayed somewhere?

not sure i undrerstand this Q ?

if u have a smartlist that displays album art, then isnt this what u want...

where is the somewhere ur thinking of :)

nickharambee

• Galactic Citizen
  • doh!
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2004, 06:21:53 am »

what i would like is some way of getting easily from album thumbnails to a page where i have details of all the tracks on the album that i chose from the album thumbnails page.  ideally i would like a 'details' list where i can then edit tag info, such as rating tracks, etc.  it would also be nice to have a large image of the cover art on this details page (as in playing now).  the trouble with the playing now page is that when you delete tracks from it, you only delete them from playing now and not from the hard drive, which i tend to want to do quite often.  having said this if it was possible to go from an album thumbnails smartlist page to playing now PAGE with a double click that would be some progress!

nick.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2004, 06:39:27 am »

what i would like is some way of getting easily from album thumbnails to a page where i have details of all the tracks on the album that i chose from the album thumbnails page.  ideally i would like a 'details' list where i can then edit tag info, such as rating tracks, etc.    

You can rate tracks in playing now. or after u right click locate...click the tracks u want to edit, F2 and ur in Edit mode. Personally i prefer rating tracks as i hear them in playing now.

For extra bonus, if u notice that the album name needs correcting, click the item, then F2. Escape, Select all album tracks , then F2, make edit, hit return and watch it update all album tags in the selection in one go.

This is the manual way of activating tagging mode and can be used when mass tagging is desired.

having said this if it was possible to go from an album thumbnails smartlist page to playing now PAGE with a double click that would be some progress!

You can go from anywhere in MC to playing now with CTRL+2, to return to where you were, backspace as previously said. to go forward alt+->

it would also be nice to have a large image of the cover art on this details page (as in playing now).  the trouble with the playing now page is that when you delete tracks from it, you only delete them from playing now and not from the hard drive, which i tend to want to do quite often.

Not removing tracks from the hard drive when in Playing now is a *good thing*.

If you want to remove them from the HD, from playing now, right click the track->locate album, if you delete from there, you're offered a choice whether to remove from library, HD, or both. IF you make a mistake, the tracks should be in trash, so you can easily restore, of course you would have to reimport into the library.

Works for me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up