INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IRMan - problems? Serial to USB?  (Read 2257 times)

Fixer

IRMan - problems? Serial to USB?
« on: May 20, 2004, 07:44:26 pm »

For those that have an IRMan, how well does it work?  Any problems I should be aware of?  Does it ever lock up and refuse to work?  Are regular reboots required?

Has anyone tried using one of those SERIAL to USB devices with it?

Robert Taylor

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living in a Smokeless Zone...
Re:IRMan - problems? Serial to USB?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2004, 09:31:04 pm »

Mine's been fine...

Haven't had any lockups or other problems with it.

I have not tried it using Serial-USB adapter, though...
Cheers
Rob

jleerigby

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2004, 07:45:18 am »

Same as the lunch.

I no longer use my IRMan though as I now have a USB-UIRT which is much better.  Whilst IRMan was fine at the time I've moved on now and need the ability to transmit IR from my PC as well as receive it.  So if you are looking to future proof yourself, like I should have done, then check out www.usbuirt.com

[Edit - I assume you are planning to use Girder?  I'm not sure if MC has a built in remote control plug in that supports the USB-UIRT directly.]

Fixer

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2004, 11:37:23 am »

Thanks for the helpful info.

I have a Streamzap USB IR receiver now, worked great for about a year, then it got weird.  It stops working every 12-24 hours, and I have to reboot or remove/insert the usb plug to reset it.  Who knows...

I don't know if it's a streamzap problem for a USB problem with my computer, so that's why I was asking about the SERIAL IRMan.

Yes, I do use Girder, to execute mjextman commands, I don't need many, which is why the Streamzap fully met my needs, until the problems started.

jleerigby

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2004, 12:30:15 pm »

Check device manager.  Maybe you have a conflict with something else sharing the same IRQ as your USB controller.  Maybe you could try another PC.  

Fixer

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2004, 12:44:17 pm »

Check device manager.  Maybe you have a conflict with something else sharing the same IRQ as your USB controller.  Maybe you could try another PC.  

I do believe it's something with my computer.  Device manager looks fine, and all my other usb devices work perfectly (and I have quite a few).  A friend with a streamzap has no problems, and I've tried her receiver too, same problem on my computer.

jleerigby

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2004, 05:50:28 pm »

Sounds like a driver problem.

Fixer

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2004, 09:59:13 pm »

Whew.... I got my new IrMan today.  Took me about 3 hours to get it working just like my Streamzap did, using Girder to execute mjextman commands.

My fault it took so long. I read the directions that came with the IrMan....

It said to install the software, which was a mistake.  Once I had it loaded and running, it took the IR device, and would not give it up for Girder.  Girder would not  connect to the IR device (either would the MC IrMan plugin).  I knew to not run the MC IrMan plugin, but I was testing....

I should have know all this.... but once I figured it out, to not run the IrMan software, then Girder connected right away.  I re-taught Girder the IR commands for the IrMan and I was back in business.

So hopefully the IrMan will continue to run longer than the StreamZap did.

Tomorrow, I'll tempt fate and purchase a Serial to USB converter and try that.  Now I have 3 serial devices and only 2 serial ports.

Wish me luck.

Fixer

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2004, 02:40:05 pm »

FYI for anyone interested.

I tried a USB to Serial cable for the IRMan.  Works great.

The USB cable is 66ft long (well beyond what the USB standard says will work), and I have the USB to Serial cable connected to that long USB cable, and the IRMan connected to the USB to Serial cable (in my living room).

So far it all seems to work.

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2004, 09:44:12 am »

Where did you get the 66 foot cable?
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Fixer

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2004, 10:03:14 am »

Where did you get the 66 foot cable?
I found a store that sells 25ft and 50ft usb cables.

I used a 10ft extension and a 50ft extenion + the 6' that was on the IRMan adds up to 66ft.

I tried going 100ft, but that didn't work.  I've been told that a powered usb hub works like a repeater, so powered usb hubs can make long cable runs work too, using one between each piece of cable.

But 66ft worked perfectly for me, without resorting to adding hubs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up