INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Deskbar -- Update 5  (Read 3084 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
JRiver Deskbar -- Update 5
« on: May 24, 2004, 05:06:01 pm »

There's a spiffy new desktop bar from JRiver that gives you quick access to your music (and lots of other useful stuff) at any time.

The latest version of the JRiver Deskbar can be downloaded here: ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/tmp/JRDeskbar105.exe

Update 5 Changes / Improvements:
1. NEW: Updated how commands are selected / processed to hopefully be more intuitive.
2. NEW: Unified 'Info & Configuration' and auto-complete dialogs.
3. Changed: Searching for commands caps at the beginning of words. (so pi doesn't return shopping -- but sh does)
4. Fixed: XP skinning could turn off in some cases.
5. NEW: Using the mouse-wheel on the bar will control Media Center's volume. (requires the focus to be on or in the bar)
6. NEW: Added "Setup" page that shows current version. (more configuration will follow)

Installation:
1) You must have MC 10.0.134 or later installed.
2) Run the installer from above.
3) Right-click on taskbar / start menu area and choose Toolbars > JRiver DeskBar (some computers may require a few clicks or a restart for this to show up)
4) Turn off the system clock to save space since the JRiver bar doubles as a clock.  Right click on the clock, choose "show properties", then "show clock".

Uninstallation:
1) Go to Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs > JRiver Deskbar

Enjoy :)

DISCLAIMER: This component is a beta that may not work correctly.  It may not be available at a later date.  It may not remain free.  It may not be included with MC 10.  Use it at your own risk.  Copyright (C) 2004 JRiver, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Sir Alan

• Junior Woodchuck
Re:JRiver Deskbar -- Update 5
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2004, 05:47:53 pm »

Bug: I use a double height bar at the foot of the screen. JRiver Deskbar dumps a partial list on the upper half every time I right click the deskbar, partly obscuring buttons etc.

Tried using the encyclopædia link.  After wondering what is supposed to happen after the star appears by the list item, I tried typing a search item.  This took me to a page which said that "NET passport is not available at this site".  It appears that Encarta will not let me in anyway without signing up for a subscription.  I'm not impressed.

How the other things, such as MC, Amazon, ebay etc, are supposed to work from Deskbar is a complete mystery, as there is no help visible.  All I get is a white box with a flashing cursor.  
"Progress just makes bad things happen faster" – Granny Weatherwax

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2004, 05:50:59 pm »

Some previous threads have help.

To do an eBay search, type "e candy" then hit enter.

Or click eBay, then type "candy" and hit enter.

mock

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2004, 02:54:48 am »

Thanks for the Deskbar. Really like that tool. Only thing i miss is a Hotkey to activate the Deskbar because its pretty anoying to click on the toolbar in order to enter something.
Thanks

pank2002

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2004, 06:58:40 am »

I liked the splash-up better before. It's to bulky with all the gray around it. IT also deleted my custom links when I went from 4 to 5. Please don't overwrite the custom xml file.
Music is life... the rest is details.
Here is a security related website: secubi.dk

LonWar

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2004, 09:36:39 am »

When your using the calculator is there a way to lock out all other commands?

I've used it quite a bit today and if you accidently type the wrong thing MC closes...

Thanks,
-

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2004, 09:53:16 am »

"ca" followed by a space locks you into the calculator.

What commands crash MC?  What OS and version of MC do you have?  Do you have Update 5 of the bar? (it'll say in the Setup tab that pops up)

NoCodeUK

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2004, 10:05:39 am »

Hi Mat,

When using the dos shortcut should it pass a command into the dos window??  Mine seems to open a command prompt but not pass a command.  Also will it have ay effect changing the command to point to cmd.exe instead of command.com as I am running xp...

Cheers

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

LonWar

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2004, 10:35:42 am »

What commands crash MC?  What OS and version of MC do you have?  Do you have Update 5 of the bar? (it'll say in the Setup tab that pops up)

Yep, I got the latest...

Does NOT happen every time..
Ok, CA locks you in... Cool,

Do a calculation then click anywere to close the box, and MC closes, And the toolbar disappears briefly,

Work PC:

Media Center Registered 10.0.141 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows 2000  Workstation 5.0 Service Pack 4 (Build 2195)
Intel Pentium III 730 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 522 MB, Free - 209 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.81 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1400 / Shell32.dll: 5.00.3700.6705 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive D:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  No burners found.
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None
-

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2004, 10:46:57 am »

There's nothing special about "ca".  Just type until what you want is selected, then hit space.  Otherwise, click the command with the mouse.  There'll be a star by it once it's selected.  Up and down keyboard buttons work too.

Do a calculation then click anywere to close the box, and MC closes, And the toolbar disappears briefly,

Does it make any difference if you disable other 3rd party plugins?  Somehow a reference count to MC is getting goofed up. (it could be the bar too -- we just can't reproduce it)

Also, does it stop playing music or just hide?  Is there a way to get it back once it's in that state?

Thanks.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2004, 11:15:15 am »

Hi Mat,

When using the dos shortcut should it pass a command into the dos window??  Mine seems to open a command prompt but not pass a command.  Also will it have ay effect changing the command to point to cmd.exe instead of command.com as I am running xp...

Cheers

Adam

I think both work on XP.

And right now, it's setup to pass in the working path. (i.e. C:\Music)  You can customize it in the XML files, but things are still changing, so make a copy of any changes somewhere else as well.

LonWar

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2004, 11:20:15 am »

There's nothing special about "ca".  Just type until what you want is selected, then hit space.  Otherwise, click the command with the mouse.  There'll be a star by it once it's selected.  Up and down keyboard buttons work too.

Does it make any difference if you disable other 3rd party plugins?  Somehow a reference count to MC is getting goofed up. (it could be the bar too -- we just can't reproduce it)

Also, does it stop playing music or just hide?  Is there a way to get it back once it's in that state?

Thanks.

Doesn't seem to matter about other Plugins..
MC, completely shuts down...
The Bar, disappears for about 45 seconds then re appears.

-

Tolga

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2004, 03:14:31 pm »

How about adding a windows hotkey (customizeable?) to go directly to the input box?

serf

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2004, 08:48:09 pm »

A theory re: why the commands flash briefly, then disappear, leaving a blinking cursor:

I have 6 lines of toolbars (I break the icons into different "focus areas").  Could the deskbar have difficulty in this situation?  I noticed someone earlier mentioned problems in a situation of a double taskbar, I think.

ventilatedslacks

• Junior Woodchuck
  • bouncing off the walls, mr jones is back...
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2004, 07:19:47 am »

One feature I really like in Dave's Toolbar is the fact that it keeps track of the searches you perform. If you type Ctrl+P you can cycle back through the 20 previous search terms and Ctrl+N allows you to cycle forward. Google Deskbar also offers a similar feature, though it's an autocomplete (which, in my opinion is somewhat less useful because you only see previous searches when you remember the way the search phrase began - Dave's method allows you to return to a phrase that you've used before even if you can't recall the way you phrased it originally. The ideal would be combining the two). Some feature like this would be a great addition to this tool.
Pages: [1]   Go Up