INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC generated 500 MB of thumbnails!  (Read 3379 times)

Sauzee

• Citizen of the Universe
MC generated 500 MB of thumbnails!
« on: May 14, 2004, 01:21:29 am »

I used to have about 60 MB of MC cached thumnails.  

After asking MC to generate missing thumbnails it increased to 200 MB.

I just noticed that I now have  527MB of thumbnails in the data directory.  

Where has this increase come from?  Is it a bug?

The library has grown slightly since I generated missing thumbnails but not enough to more than double the size of cached thumbnails.

My library is approx 45,000 mainly music files and exit behaviour is delete orphan thumbnails.

I'm releuctant to delete and rebuild them all, as I spent forever manually generating all thumbnail sizes for images on data CD's. See http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=21043;start=msg148103#msg148103

What size of cached thumbnails does everyone else have relative to size of library.?

Dragyn

Re:MC generated 500 MB of thumbnails!
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2004, 05:17:09 am »

I wish I had just 500MB of thumbnails.  ;)

TimB

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2004, 05:47:44 am »

What size of cached thumbnails does everyone else have relative to size of library.?
I know my number has increased but can y'all tell me which file and directory to look at?

-=Tim=-
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!

sapnho

• Galactic Citizen
  • Leave a legacy
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2004, 06:25:16 am »

After asking MC to generate missing thumbnails

How do you do that? Does that mean MC retrieves it from the web?

Sauzee

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2004, 09:37:21 am »

I know my number has increased but can y'all tell me which file and directory to look at?

-=Tim=-

It's in Prog Files/JRiver/MC/Data/Thumbnails

Dragyn & Saphnho - I think there may be some confusion.  I'm not talking about how many images I have within MC library but the cached thumbnails from cover art inside file tags.

Chris Shaw

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2004, 09:52:17 am »

Sounds about right for 45000 files. I have around 4000 files, and around 60Mb of thumbnails in 12000 files (small medium and large). It was a change a few builds back that MC now creates all sizes of thumbnails when you do "Build Missing". This means it speeds up Theatre View as well.

If disk space is more important to you than speed, delete all your thumbnails and let MC build them as it needs them. That way you'll only get your commonly used ones.

Alternatively, if you don't use Theater view, you could delete the Large folder which takes up most of the space in my database.

TimB

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2004, 08:23:03 pm »

I hate to look stoopid but why change now. :)

So if I delete the thumbnails MC will just create them as needed?  If not like I won't get them?  The album art that I've carefully scanned in is still available?

-=Tim=-
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!

Sauzee

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2004, 08:40:13 pm »

I hate to look stoopid but why change now. :)

So if I delete the thumbnails MC will just create them as needed?  If not like I won't get them?  The album art that I've carefully scanned in is still available?

-=Tim=-

Yes, with the exception of thumbnails for images on data CD's.  MC can't generate these as required at the moment.

Sauzee

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2004, 08:49:10 pm »

Sounds about right for 45000 files. I have around 4000 files, and around 60Mb of thumbnails in 12000 files (small medium and large). It was a change a few builds back that MC now creates all sizes of thumbnails when you do "Build Missing". This means it speeds up Theatre View as well.

If disk space is more important to you than speed, delete all your thumbnails and let MC build them as it needs them. That way you'll only get your commonly used ones.

Alternatively, if you don't use Theater view, you could delete the Large folder which takes up most of the space in my database.
cjdshaw

Thanks for the info.  Anyone else got a huge thumbnails directory?  

It's kind of screwing up my partitioning. I have Windows and all apps on my main small partition to aid imaging/backup. MC [at least, the cached thumbs] is now pushing the size of this up.

Any chance of an option to save these somewhere else?  

I don't want to install MC on a different partition but the thumbs would be better off on a data partition

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2004, 09:12:13 pm »

I don't want to install MC on a different partition but the thumbs would be better off on a data partition

If you have a NTFS filesystem, you can create the thumbnail dir on a separate disk (ideally instead of another partition of the same disk), and mount the dir as you do in *nix. MC won't know the difference.

If you have FAT32, then it wont be possilble, until MC offers an option to relocate the thumbnails dir. Which seems like a better idea in the long run as many ppl might not have a NTFS filesytem.

Sniffy

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Honore ton erreur comme une intention cachée
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2004, 12:58:27 am »

Hi
I have 4600 audio video files in MC.
They have generate 10400 files in the thubnails directory and 80Mo on the drive

Sauzee

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2004, 12:51:06 pm »

as you do in *nix. MC won't know the difference.

Sorry I'm being thick.  What do you mean by *nix ?

Chris Shaw

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2004, 04:06:48 pm »

He's referring to UNIX / Linux and their variants. Basically, you can create the thumbnail folder on your larger partition, then link it using an "NTFS junction" so that it appears as if it was on your smaller partition under your MC database folder. It can get quite confusing, because it appears as if your files are there twice.

If you are using NTFS and decide to go this route, there's a tool for creating junctions here
http://www.codeproject.com/w2k/junctionpoints.asp?df=100

Extract the makelink.exe file from the zip file, move your Thumbnails to your big partition, create an empty Thumbnails folder where it was and run:

makelink.exe "C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\Data\Thumbnails" "d:\My Big Files\Thumbnails"

or something similar. Best of luck

Sauzee

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2004, 11:56:57 pm »

Thanks.  That's my useful fact for the day.   ;D  Might give it a try.

MC thumbnails account for more than 15% of my system partition.

I'm surely not the only one with this issue.  

J River guys - any chance of an option as to where we store thumbnails?  

jleerigby

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2004, 07:24:57 am »

It sounds like you might be getting carried away here.  Surely the simplest solution would be to increase the size of the partition.  Get a copy of Partition Magic (chanegs partition size without formatting), which is one of the most useful PC utilities you'll ever own.

I too like to keep my C drive down to the smallest size possible so I can back it up quickly and free up space on my other partition for MP3s.  Partition Magic let's me manage this perfectly.

Chris Shaw

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2004, 07:45:22 am »

Or, move your MC database onto your large partition and set a scheduled task to back it up onto your small partition. Then you can just exclude thumbnails.

Sauzee

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2004, 12:33:15 am »

It sounds like you might be getting carried away here.  Surely the simplest solution would be to increase the size of the partition.  Get a copy of Partition Magic (chanegs partition size without formatting), which is one of the most useful PC utilities you'll ever own.

I too like to keep my C drive down to the smallest size possible so I can back it up quickly and free up space on my other partition for MP3s.  Partition Magic let's me manage this perfectly.

JLee

I agree - I use partitioning software [Acronis TrueImage - excellent]

But I want to keep the size of the partition down - not resize it for more than half a gig of thumbs.

I could just install MC on my non System partition but I really don't want to do that.  I just want the thumbnails elsewhere.

I want rid of the thumbs on the system partition because it makes backing it up unwieldy. Takes longer - and doesn't fit so easily on removable media.  

My regularly backed up system partition has only important system stuff - except for the MC thumbnails.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2004, 11:43:23 am »

Thumbnails get created in MC's library directory.

You can store your library anywhere by using File > Library > Library Manager.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Sauzee

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2004, 11:53:55 am »

Thanks Matt - I didn't know that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up